Innovative Marine Aquariums

New to the Pico Game *Office Pico*

BahamaLlamaCoral

BahamaLlamaCoral

I recently set up a pico tank at the office!  I am not new to the hobby but definitely new to a tiny tank.  As it cycles and gets settled in I am wondering what livestock I should toss in and am open to suggestions.  The two routes I'm thinking are refugium life...inverts, feather dusters, macro - OR - traditional coral (LPS & Softies).  I have an extra Prime HD that I was gonna use for this build.  It would def. help with color pop if I decided to go the traditional route.  I've attached my build video below.  (Sorry if links aren't allowed - but it will give you a better idea of what I'm working with.) Don't worry, the blinds on my GIANT window come down so I'll be able to control the natural light a bit better.  

Thanks for the suggestions! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BahamaLlamaCoral said:

I recently set up a pico tank at the office!  I am not new to the hobby but definitely new to a tiny tank.  As it cycles and gets settled in I am wondering what livestock I should toss in and am open to suggestions.  The two routes I'm thinking are refugium life...inverts, feather dusters, macro - OR - traditional coral (LPS & Softies).  I have an extra Prime HD that I was gonna use for this build.  It would def. help with color pop if I decided to go the traditional route.  I've attached my build video below.  (Sorry if links aren't allowed - but it will give you a better idea of what I'm working with.) Don't worry, the blinds on my GIANT window come down so I'll be able to control the natural light a bit better.  

Hey @BahamaLlamaCoral! Nice to see you here on Nano-Reef, welcome!! It’s a great community. Looking forward to following along on your pico build. Your video made it look so easy to start up a pico tank, made me want one too. 🙂 That Blue Angels flight experience looked awesome, yet kinda terrifying. Also, saw you mentioned a couple other guys we know on here, tagging them: @inland_reef, @TheRope

:welcome:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
BahamaLlamaCoral
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Hey @BahamaLlamaCoral! Nice to see you here on Nano-Reef, welcome!! It’s a great community... looking forward to following along on your pico build. Your video made it look so easy to start up a pico tank, made me want one too. 🙂 That Blue Angels flight experience looked awesome, yet kinda terrifying. Also, saw you mentioned a couple other guys we know on here, tagging them: @inland_reef, @TheRope

:welcome:

Thanks for watching the video and for tagging these fine gentlemen! I can't wait to update.  Taking the light to work today.  Still haven't set up the ATO so I'm wondering how much evap happens over a weekend.  

Just now, Ratvan said:

LPS for me the whole way 😄

Thank you for the suggestion! 

• Like 2
Just now, BahamaLlamaCoral said:

Thanks for watching the video and for tagging these fine gentlemen! I can't wait to update.  Taking the light to work today.  Still haven't set up the ATO so I'm wondering how much evap happens over a weekend.  

Oh yeah, love to see a pic of the water level after the weekend... I would think there would be a lot of evaporation by the window especially. The Smart Micro ATO might be a nice option, if you haven’t already picked something up... though the tank I have one in is a 10g nano, not sure if there’s something even better for a pico...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BahamaLlamaCoral said:

This is a really awesome video.  Thank you for sharing; you give me inspiration with this little office Pico 😊

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
BahamaLlamaCoral

Excited to post another update soon as now the light is hung and I'll be adding livestock soon.  In the meantime, I ran into the guys at Flipper at Aquashella Chicago and they let me test out a new Pico Cleaner Prototype.  IMO this is the perfect addition to any pico/nano tank.  Short (2 minutes) video review below! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...