Coral Vue Hydros

Sharbuckles NEW 40 - Cracked Sump :(

Sharbuckle

Hello fine folks of the internet.

Here I am yet again with ANOTHER build. 

I rashly decided to sell my 78g and 65g and upgrade to something 120g and up. I ended up buying a 150g blah blah blah long story short, I messed up. Rushed things, ended up tankless. After my fish sat in rubbermaid totes for about 3 months, something happened. I did a large water change and overnight ALL my fish died. 

This was a nightmare, I was distraught. I did realize the next day that my large Clarkii clownfish Big Mama survived. After debating on selling her for a while I decided to get her a home. 

That brings us to where we are now. A 40 gallon breeder. 

As some of you may now my last 40B won TOTM last October. I loved that tank and everything about it. That's how I landed back into a 40B. 

Things will be a bit different this time. I am taking my sweet sweet time setting it up and buying equipment that will last. 

Equipment List:

Lighting: 2x Ecotech Radion XR30W Pro

Flow: Sicce Syncra 3.0 Return and Ecotech MP10

Heater: 200w Jaeger 

Controller: Neptune Apex EL

Skimmer: Nyos Quantum

Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse

Sump: Acrylic Sump

ATO: Tunze Osmolator

Rock/Sand: Caribsea LifeRock and Aragonite

Livestock Plans:

Other than Big Mama and her carpet anemone. I plan on stocking this tank solely with Montipora. No softies, no lps. ONLY Montipora. 

As far as fish go, I want a blue spot jawfish, something to sift the sand, and a bunch of damsels that can stand up to big mama.

Ill attach some pictures today. I still have a lot of the equipment to buy. I plan on having water in the tank within the next 4-6 weeks. 

Happy Reefing, thanks for looking..

53D54511-6039-441A-8A21-566648BC60D2.jpeg

7966F209-6F1C-465A-AE29-BD8DD188E97C.jpeg

B5B14228-D9D1-42A7-AC8B-582087E11AF5.jpeg

29F9A835-3702-41F9-BE95-F5735D841BF8.jpeg

1F2E249D-8F7B-488A-8F03-095F64E1511C.jpeg

9EA75E2F-7187-4BC0-9CF6-44E9B5D465E7.jpeg

3CC2CD9C-00E3-4558-B047-DD158599A4A0.jpeg

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Hello fine folks of the internet.

Here I am yet again with ANOTHER build. 

I rashly decided to sell my 78g and 65g and upgrade to something 120g and up. I ended up buying a 150g blah blah blah long story short, I messed up. Rushed things, ended up tankless. After my fish sat in rubbermaid totes for about 3 months, something happened. I did a large water change and overnight ALL my fish died. 

This was a nightmare, I was distraught. I did realize the next day that my large Clarkii clownfish Big Mama survived. After debating on selling her for a while I decided to get her a home. 

That brings us to where we are now. A 40 gallon breeder. 

As some of you may now my last 40B won TOTM last October. I loved that tank and everything about it. That's how I landed back into a 40B. 

Things will be a bit different this time. I am taking my sweet sweet time setting it up and buying equipment that will last. 

Equipment List:

Lighting: 2x Ecotech Radion XR30W Pro

Flow: Sicce Syncra 3.0 Return and Ecotech MP10

Heater: 200w Jaeger 

Controller: Neptune Apex EL

OOPS, gotta run, will finish update in a few minutes. 

Yay!! New tank for Big Mama! :happydance:

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Woohoo, getting back to your roots! 40 gallons is a good size, lots of livestock options, but not so big that the maintenance takes over your life.

The new drilled Eclipse overflow looks great on there, very clean! What all do you have planned for the sump space down below?

Montirpora only is a neat pursuit too, way cool! Keep those pruners sharp 😄 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Woohoo, getting back to your roots! 40 gallons is a good size, lots of livestock options, but not so big that the maintenance takes over your life.

The new drilled Eclipse overflow looks great on there, very clean! What all do you have planned for the sump space down below?

Montirpora only is a neat pursuit too, way cool! Keep those pruners sharp 😄 

Thanks for stopping by! 

Love the eshopps overflows this will be the third one I’ve used. They’re so easy to install. Best part is they come with the hole saw you need to drill.

My original plan was to use all my existing live rock that I’ve collected over the years to fill the sump with and have a very fast cycle. Plans may have changed, as I think I want a prefab sump now. Not a ton of room for live rock. Maybe I’ll add a second sump just full of rock? We shall see.

Montipora only seems like a fun way to do sps only. Lots of different shapes and colours to keep things interesting. 

14 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

woo whoo!

Woo!

• Like 2

Nice, looking forward to following. I loved your previous tank and excited to see what you come up with in this montipora only tank... full monti haha. The scape looks great! 

7 hours ago, kabal2 said:

Tagging along 

Thanks! Stay tuned. May take a while before it gets wet. 

6 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I remember your TOTM and thought it was well deserved.  

What stand are you using?  Will you leave it open or put walls up?  

Thank you so much 🙂 

I’m using a garage shelving unit from Canadian Tire. I think I’m going to leave it open concept to start and see how I feel in the future. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Nice, looking forward to following. I loved your previous tank and excited to see what you come up with in this montipora only tank... full monti haha. The scape looks great! 

The Full Monti! That’s amazing, I guess that’s the name of this tank now lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Well I realized all my equipment couldn’t fit in the Sump I ordered so we had to cancel the order. 

Going with the ecotech vectra s2 for return and a Nyos Torq reactor to run my Kolar Labs carbon and GFO. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

40 breeders are such great sized tanks....seems they fell out of favor with so many AIO options available which is too bad.

Sorry for all the problems and your losses....seems like you are a lifer though. 😛

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

40 breeders are such great sized tanks....seems they fell out of favor with so many AIO options available which is too bad.

Sorry for all the problems and your losses....seems like you are a lifer though. 😛

Thanks, the fish losses really hurt. However, I truly am I lifer... haha.

The 40 breeder is the best size nano tank in my opinion, absolutely love them. Excited to fill this thing up. 

2 hours ago, William said:

Following along, looks great 

Thanks! Appreciate It. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Was very excited to receive my sump yesterday from Fiji cube....

but it when I took it out of the boxes I noticed a sizeable crack in it. Contacted Fiji cube and they offered me $150 which I’m not too thrilled about..... I need a sump that’s not cracked.

490F236C-4070-4590-90EA-239D1F21B8F1.jpeg

0B7E3359-5FE2-4997-89FD-C6C2C812BFA5.jpeg

They wouldn’t send you a new one? 

4 minutes ago, William said:

They wouldn’t send you a new one? 

They blamed it on UPS. Said they have to file a claim with UPS before they decide to send a new one. Ill be honest I wasn’t super happy about the packaging. Shipping a sump internationally in a cardboard box with very loose foam isn’t a great idea.

• Wow 1

What the heck?! Shouldn't they send you a new one and it is THEIR problem to deal with UPS? I mean venders have losses and they just need to expect that.

Man I would be pissed, I will be sure never to do business with them!! I would probably contact paypal or cc company or something. 

If you can't a new one, I guess buy some of that acrylic weld and glue the crack back together.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

What the heck?! Shouldn't they send you a new one and it is THEIR problem to deal with UPS? I mean venders have losses and they just need to expect that.

Man I would be pissed, I will be sure never to do business with them!! I would probably contact paypal or cc company or something. 

If you can't a new one, I guess buy some of that acrylic weld and glue the crack back together.

Ya im not exactly happy about it. We’ll see what they say next. 

• Like 1

Thats crazy. Anytime I have purchased goods online that arrived damaged the company would send me a new one with a bit of proof. I imagine they go after UPS/FedEx on their own. 

Don't settle for damaged goods. Get a refund if needed and go for a different company. 

7 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Thats crazy. Anytime I have purchased goods online that arrived damaged the company would send me a new one with a bit of proof. I imagine they go after UPS/FedEx on their own. 

Don't settle for damaged goods. Get a refund if needed and go for a different company. 

It’s a bit crazy right? I’m glad it’s not just me.

Now keep in mind they haven’t said no to a new sump yet so I don’t want to bash them while they still have a chance to fix the problem. 

• Like 1

Well... They agreed to refund me in full for the sump. I’ll have to eat the import fees but this is the best case scenario as they aren’t confident about shipping another internationally. The customer service has been great thus far so no need to bash them. I guess I’m on the search for a new sump. 

• Like 5