Innovative Marine Aquariums

Running recirculating skimmer w/o recirculating pump???

bageezus

Okay so I picked up a used Reef Octopus DNW-150 from a local guy. Plugged in the pump and it went up in smoke. Would the skimmer still produce a good amount of skim without it? Could I just rubber hose plumb a new pump in since a replacement is no longer avail? New to recirculating skimmers. Or should I just scrap it? Thanks for your help.

Pic.  And can you measure the plumbing size on the pump?   (OD on the pump or ID on the skimmer.)

The recirculating pump is what usually generates the bubbles, so no can't use it without one.

If you checked with coralvue and they don't still have a pump that'll work, you can almost surely find one that will....Tunze has a variety of them (Call or email Roger and he can help you pick), Mag has foaming pumps, I think Sedras are still out there, Sicce, etc.....there are options.

If it was the feed pump that adds new (dirty) system water to the skimmer, then yes there are other ways to feed it....and any old pump can work as a replacement, you just want something around the same GPH.  Plumb it with a valve so you can tune the flow how you like it.

• 2 weeks later...