Pod Your Reef

What is growing on my live rock?

Lyndsey Camille

Lyndsey Camille

Hi all - 

I am currently on week (and one day) of the cycling process for my saltwater tank. I have noticed the following growths appear on my live rock. The LFS I visited both stated that they are anemone. However, they differed in the fact that one said it was good while the other said it's a pest and should be removed. As a beginner, I am now confused by the varying answers and I do not want to ruin the tank before it even gets started. Would you all advise if 1) these are good or bad anemones? and 2) should I get rid of them? 

Thank you for your help! It is much appreciated as I continue to read and research on my new hobby! 

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4217.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lyndsey Camille said:

Hi all - 

I am currently on week (and one day) of the cycling process for my saltwater tank. I have noticed the following growths appear on my live rock. The LFS I visited both stated that they are anemone. However, they differed in the fact that one said it was good while the other said it's a pest and should be removed. As a beginner, I am now confused by the varying answers and I do not want to ruin the tank before it even gets started. Would you all advise if 1) these are good or bad anemones? and 2) should I get rid of them? 

Thank you for your help! It is much appreciated as I continue to read and research on my new hobby! 

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4217.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

Majano Anenome........ a very pretty pest. 🙁

• Like 3

Different types of majanos grow at different rates. Some will grow quickly to plague proportions, but some won't. Often the prettier ones are the ones that won't multiply too fast. 

Watch them closely. If they multiply quickly, they're pests, and you'll need to remove them. If they multiply slowly, or not at all in the next few months, they're one of the slower-growing ones and are okay. They can sting, though.

• Like 1
On 9/15/2019 at 1:23 AM, WV Reefer said:

Majano Anenome........ a very pretty pest. 🙁

As above, I know a couple of people run pest tanks. If you can remove it easily you might want to see if anyone wants it? You in the UK? I want it 😄

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

As above, I know a couple of people run pest tanks. If you can remove it easily you might want to see if anyone wants it? You in the UK? I want it 😄

My LFS is infested with them...........ive tried and tried to get them to sell me some but they think Im weird. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

My LFS is infested with them...........ive tried and tried to get them to sell me some but they think Im weird. 😁

That's a bummer because those things are awesome looking :smilie:

• Like 4
Lyndsey Camille

Thank you everyone for your help! Unfortunately, I'm not in the UK haha. I did end up get rid of the majanos. However, interesting enough, three new hitchhikers have now appeared: asterina starfish...at least that's what they look like to me!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1