Coral Vue Hydros

My Mantis Shrimp Reef

Isaacthedev

Ive been on here long enough, so I figured I would start my tank journal!

Photos are taken with an iPhone X and the PolypLab Lens V2.

I hope you enjoy my tank, PS. while you are here, I built an aquarium app for testing parameters, adding maintenance tasks / to do list, and water test timers, I am planning to upload it for free on the App Store, but I need beta testers, If anyone wants to test it out and recommend any features let me know! 

Tank:

- Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallon

- AI Prime HD

- In Tank Media Basket (TOP: Floss, MIDDLE: Carbon, BOTTOM: Marine Pure Balls)

- Eheim Heater

- Jebao OW Power head (Third speed, on the sine setting

- Kamoer ATO

- Fritz Salt

Livestock:

- Reef Raft Polkaroo

- Green Scoly

- Ultra Green Torch with Pink Tips

- Green Goniopora

- Jason Fox Jack-O-Lantern

- Papaya Polyps 

- Rock Flower Anemone

- Porcelain Crab

- Harlequin Shrimp

- Peacock Mantis Shrimp

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Tired said:

It looks really nice, but I'd be worried about the shrimp's tunneling destabilizing that. Is it set on the floor of the tank, or just on the sand? 

its glued to the floor of the tank, I'm thinking to get some branch rock and stacking it to look like a cave 

Ah, that sounds sturdy! I'd definitely provide some caves, and some bits of rubble, for your mantis to burrow and build with. 

Love that bright green rock flower. Where did you get it? 

Nice set up but may be a little small for a peacock..........how big is the shrimp ?

Also as one that grows pretty big I think it could break the glass on a tank that small...........

From what I'm reading, the main concern is less that they might try to crack the walls, and more that a burrowing mantis may take the bottom of the glass as a surmountable barrier and try to break through it. But I'm also a little skeptical about peacock mantises breaking glass at all- has anyone actually had that happen? I know there's that one video on that nature show of one smashing glass, but it might just have been a thin piece, thinner than aquarium glass. The question in this case is if they can break the tank, not if they can break a pane of glass, period.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tired said:

From what I'm reading, the main concern is less that they might try to crack the walls, and more that a burrowing mantis may take the bottom of the glass as a surmountable barrier and try to break through it. But I'm also a little skeptical about peacock mantises breaking glass at all- has anyone actually had that happen? I know there's that one video on that nature show of one smashing glass, but it might just have been a thin piece, thinner than aquarium glass. The question in this case is if they can break the tank, not if they can break a pane of glass, period.

Well to me its just to small of a tank for a peacock.................I think a 20 long or better for them.

I have had a few shrimp over the years and they like to explore............

• Like 1

That much I wouldn't know, I haven't tried a mantis. It would probably be possible to increase the exploring space a bit by stacking and sculpting and making the whole thing full of places to go, though this might still be better as a starter tank.

hey everyone, 

On 9/14/2019 at 10:38 PM, Tired said:

Ah, that sounds sturdy! I'd definitely provide some caves, and some bits of rubble, for your mantis to burrow and build with. 

Love that bright green rock flower. Where did you get it? 

Raging Reef in Montreal

So the store called me and said the Mantis did not survive the shipping, but I cancelled the order for the new one, and put one in for a smiths mantis , I read they stay relatively small.

• Like 2