PaigeTX

PaigeTX's 14g Peninsula Mixed Reef

PaigeTX

Hello Everyone - I'm in the process of preparing for my first saltwater tank - or any fish tank for that matter. I came across a youtube video with a reef tank and immediately became obsessed with learning about what it would take to care for one. After hours and hours of reading forums, youtube videos, books, and podcasts I think I have a game plan together. 

I looked through the tank journals and TOTM posts and I've been really inspired by the aesthetics of Hey and Brad908's long tanks. I love the natural look and attention to aqua scaping in those tanks. I'd like to incorporate some macro algae in my display tank.

After I started to get confident that caring for a reef tank was something I could do, I put together a spreadsheet and listed all of the things I needed and started searching for the best prices. Once I had my full list I was ready to pull the trigger. Now most everything is purchased except for livestock, a lid for the tank, and food.

Supplies 

Lifegard Aquatics 14.26g Peninsula

Orbit Marine Pro LED

Eheim Jager 50w

Arag Alive Fiji Pink Sand

Instant Ocean Salt

Python Bacteria and Dr. Tim's Ammonia

Auto Aqua Micro ATO

Sous Vide Container from Amazon for ATO reservoir

Stax Rock and Tonga Branches

Hydor Koralia Nano 425gph

Other misc. things like a fish net, siphon, and power strip...really starting from the beginning here

Livestock

Haven't purchased anything yet but I'm planning on starting with a tail spot blenny and then an ocelaris clown. From what I've read the clown will be more aggressive so I should start with the blenny. 

I'm going on vacation in mid-October so I'll wait to buy any fish until after. 

Inverts - skunk cleaning shrimp but I haven't decided on what I will do on the other cleaners.

Coral - mostly softies (mushrooms, zoas, leathers, xenia, etc.) with ornamental macro algae. Any thoughts on macro in the display tank? I'll stay away from the more agressive species like caulerpa. I've seen success with the macros on here with fish and coral but I've read about the CO2 after the lights go out.

I'd love to hear any advice or opinions. I'm so excited about this and a little scared because I want to try my best not to kill my fish or coral lol

• Like 2

PaigeTX

All of my equipment has arrived! Except... the tank came broken. Womp womp. Marine and Reef were very easy to work with and I have a new one on the way. They aren’t having me send back the broken one. Meanwhile, I’ve set up my live rock in a bucket with a heater and power head. I stuck some of the dry rock in there too 

B1E2E868-9A62-440E-8AB6-651E888A58F4.jpeg

9E381BA1-0B3B-44E8-A532-C7C11C8C50FC.jpeg

• Like 3

PaigeTX

The tank came in and the cycle has started! I used the stax rock mainly... it’s looking a little Flintsoney right now but I think in time the coral will hide the stack. I didn’t like the way the branch rocks looked so I took some pieces and put them in to hopefully let the coralline grow. 

I have had an issue with my smart micro ATO. If I don’t leave the tubing above the waterline in the tank it siphons the tank. Thankfully my husband wasn’t here to witness my panic and wet towels !

A55FBC63-A0B2-4A47-8584-5E71BE4F10C5.jpeg

• Like 4

Ratvan

Looking good, in my experience my other half always walks in as something is going wrong with the tank 

• Haha 2

WV Reefer
On 9/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, PaigeTX said:

The tank came in and the cycle has started! I used the stax rock mainly... it’s looking a little Flintsoney right now but I think in time the coral will hide the stack. I didn’t like the way the branch rocks looked so I took some pieces and put them in to hopefully let the coralline grow. 

I have had an issue with my smart micro ATO. If I don’t leave the tubing above the waterline in the tank it siphons the tank. Thankfully my husband wasn’t here to witness my panic and wet towels !

A55FBC63-A0B2-4A47-8584-5E71BE4F10C5.jpeg

looks good so far! 🙂

Dirté Sanchez

That's a neat idea for rock setup!! I like how it looks a little like a sunken Mayan temple. That will be a cool tank when you get corals or macro algae in there!

• Like 3

Ratvan
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That's a neat idea for rock setup!! I like how it looks a little like a sunken Mayan temple. That will be a cool tank when you get corals or macro algae in there!

Hear was me thinking of Yonaguni 

• Like 2

PaigeTX

Thanks for the feedback! I’m hoping it’ll look more natural when macro and corals go in but my underwater temple works for now! Time to patiently wait and have my fun doing water tests 

Dirté Sanchez

I think the setup is really cool. I keep coming back to it and liking it more and more. Will be following to see what it turns out to look like!

• Thanks 1