Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PaigeTX's 14g Peninsula Mixed Reef

PaigeTX

Hello Everyone - I'm in the process of preparing for my first saltwater tank - or any fish tank for that matter. I came across a youtube video with a reef tank and immediately became obsessed with learning about what it would take to care for one. After hours and hours of reading forums, youtube videos, books, and podcasts I think I have a game plan together. 

I looked through the tank journals and TOTM posts and I've been really inspired by the aesthetics of Hey and Brad908's long tanks. I love the natural look and attention to aqua scaping in those tanks. I'd like to incorporate some macro algae in my display tank.

After I started to get confident that caring for a reef tank was something I could do, I put together a spreadsheet and listed all of the things I needed and started searching for the best prices. Once I had my full list I was ready to pull the trigger. Now most everything is purchased except for livestock, a lid for the tank, and food.

Supplies 

Lifegard Aquatics 14.26g Peninsula

Orbit Marine Pro LED

Eheim Jager 50w - shattered it, replaced w cobalt neo therm 75w

Arag Alive Fiji Pink Sand

Instant Ocean Salt

Python Bacteria and Dr. Tim's Ammonia

Auto Aqua Micro ATO

Sous Vide Container from Amazon for ATO reservoir

Stax Rock and Tonga Branches

Hydor Koralia Nano 425gph

Other misc. things like a fish net, siphon, and power strip...really starting from the beginning here

Livestock

Updated Jan 2020

Tail Spot Blenny - Fred

2 Ocellaris Clownfish - Pootie and Tang

Fire Shrimp - Giorgio

Pompom Crab - Crabitha

Approx. 11 various snails

2 hermit crabs

I'd love to hear any advice or opinions. I'm so excited about this and a little scared because I want to try my best not to kill my fish or coral lol

Edited by PaigeTX
Updated Jan 2020 for livestock
  • Like 4

All of my equipment has arrived! Except... the tank came broken. Womp womp. Marine and Reef were very easy to work with and I have a new one on the way. They aren’t having me send back the broken one. Meanwhile, I’ve set up my live rock in a bucket with a heater and power head. I stuck some of the dry rock in there too 

B1E2E868-9A62-440E-8AB6-651E888A58F4.jpeg

9E381BA1-0B3B-44E8-A532-C7C11C8C50FC.jpeg

• Like 3

The tank came in and the cycle has started! I used the stax rock mainly... it’s looking a little Flintsoney right now but I think in time the coral will hide the stack. I didn’t like the way the branch rocks looked so I took some pieces and put them in to hopefully let the coralline grow. 

I have had an issue with my smart micro ATO. If I don’t leave the tubing above the waterline in the tank it siphons the tank. Thankfully my husband wasn’t here to witness my panic and wet towels !

A55FBC63-A0B2-4A47-8584-5E71BE4F10C5.jpeg

• Like 6
On 9/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, PaigeTX said:

The tank came in and the cycle has started! I used the stax rock mainly... it’s looking a little Flintsoney right now but I think in time the coral will hide the stack. I didn’t like the way the branch rocks looked so I took some pieces and put them in to hopefully let the coralline grow. 

I have had an issue with my smart micro ATO. If I don’t leave the tubing above the waterline in the tank it siphons the tank. Thankfully my husband wasn’t here to witness my panic and wet towels !

A55FBC63-A0B2-4A47-8584-5E71BE4F10C5.jpeg

looks good so far! 🙂

That's a neat idea for rock setup!! I like how it looks a little like a sunken Mayan temple. That will be a cool tank when you get corals or macro algae in there!

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback! I’m hoping it’ll look more natural when macro and corals go in but my underwater temple works for now! Time to patiently wait and have my fun doing water tests 

• 2 months later...

I am thrilled to say I finally got some livestock moved in! I let the tank cycle for  2 months (can't count apparently) adding ammonia. This was mainly because I didn't have the time between going out of town and Thanksgiving to tinker. Because I didn't have the light on during this time there is no algae as of yet. I ended up getting a couple red legged hermit crabs and 5 trochus snails. I fed the hermit crabs but I'm worried about the snails - I may need to go buy them some vegetarian food while waiting for algae to sprout up. I got some shells at the fish store for the hermits and I think they gave me an occupied one with a molting hermit... there is a naked hermit crab in my rocks

I also added some small frags including a mushroom, zoas, blastomussa, and a favia.  I'll add a few pics tonight but I am so excited! I'll add some corals over the next month or so and if everything is going well after that I'll add a fish!

• Like 3

Here’s what I’ve got going so far. A favia, blasto, mushroom, and some zoas or palys on the right. We’ve been having entirely too much fun watching the snails and hermits. I’m picking up more corals this afternoon.

The blasto is angry because I pulled it out to give it a freshwater dip and scrape off what I thought was a vertemid snail but now I’m thinking was a feather worm. Oops 

9E14CCB6-BE32-4125-86E8-0B118D0AACE7.jpeg

B4DFD189-2289-4F39-8B76-065B2BB42A6D.jpeg

• Like 3

Added some new corals last week that seem to be adapting well. I ordered through dropoffcorals.com and did a local pickup. Super nice guy and amazing prices. Also added my first fish last night! Fred the tailspot blenny. He’s hiding but is adapting well and eating. My zoas (maybe palys) are not looking too happy - reaching and partially open. I moved them yesterday to a higher spot but they’re still reaching. Any ideas?

Corals added:

Acans

Lobo

Favia

Duncan

Hammer Torch hybrid

87E88781-7DC2-4A28-8100-343DA56188FE.jpeg

9D6D6507-A82F-4E3E-A778-FB0C4277D1DC.jpeg

EC7D7EB6-AEF8-4C69-81E2-11793E2C796B.jpeg

21445569-7CF6-418A-838B-E9737198EBDD.jpeg

6E02DC12-F44A-48DD-A22E-16AA95F9D6AD.jpeg

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

Added some new corals last week that seem to be adapting well. I ordered through dropoffcorals.com and did a local pickup. Super nice guy and amazing prices. Also added my first fish last night! Fred the tailspot blenny. He’s hiding but is adapting well and eating. My zoas (maybe palys) are not looking too happy - reaching and partially open. I moved them yesterday to a higher spot but they’re still reaching. Any ideas?

Corals added:

Acans

Lobo

Favia

Duncan

Hammer Torch hybrid

87E88781-7DC2-4A28-8100-343DA56188FE.jpeg

9D6D6507-A82F-4E3E-A778-FB0C4277D1DC.jpeg

EC7D7EB6-AEF8-4C69-81E2-11793E2C796B.jpeg

21445569-7CF6-418A-838B-E9737198EBDD.jpeg

6E02DC12-F44A-48DD-A22E-16AA95F9D6AD.jpeg

Nice looking frags. I would give them more time to settle in before moving them too much. Zoas/Palys can be moody at first. 

I can’t wait to see Fred! 😃

• Like 2
On 12/16/2019 at 8:23 PM, WV Reefer said:

Nice looking frags. I would give them more time to settle in before moving them too much. Zoas/Palys can be moody at first. 

I can’t wait to see Fred! 😃

Thanks for the advice! The zoas seem to be settling in and opening back up this week. Hard to decide when to be patient or move things around 😅

• Like 1
On 12/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, PaigeTX said:

Here’s what I’ve got going so far. A favia

9E14CCB6-BE32-4125-86E8-0B118D0AACE7.jpeg

I'm pretty certain you got an acan there, not a favia lol. Just so you can plan accordingly for the future XD 

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I'm pretty certain you got an acan there, not a favia lol. Just so you can plan accordingly for the future XD 

You're definitely correct. I quickly realized when I later picked up a frag of an actual favia lol. I'm living and learning not to trust what the LFS says! I moved the actual favia a little farther away from the acan once I figured it out 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

Fred has found his perch spot! I had to stay very still to get this photo but he is a little less shy. Also does not tolerate snails in his cave! 

CB0A143B-3995-4827-B18D-0C8DF9F80EEE.jpeg

Fred is so cute!

• Like 2

Things overall have been going well but I did have a mishap yesterday. I forgot to turn the dang heater back on after my water change on Sunday 😖 It got down to 70. Unfortunately I noticed when I put my hand in to drop a new fire shrimp and fighting conch... next time I'll be double checking my temp before acclimating. The fire shrimp seems to be fine but the fighting conch didn't make it. Everything else is good. I thought my corals were closed because of lights out. Ugh I feel terrible but I'm so glad my fish and corals are ok! I won't do that again I hope.  

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

Things overall have been going well but I did have a mishap yesterday. I forgot to turn the dang heater back on after my water change on Sunday 😖 It got down to 70. Unfortunately I noticed when I put my hand in to drop a new fire shrimp and fighting conch... next time I'll be double checking my temp before acclimating. The fire shrimp seems to be fine but the fighting conch didn't make it. Everything else is good. I thought my corals were closed because of lights out. Ugh I feel terrible but I'm so glad my fish and corals are ok! I won't do that again I hope.  

🙁 Been there done that. Sorry about the conch. 

So now I can’t decide if the conch is dead. It hadn’t moved since last night so I placed it on its back to see if it would move during the day today, it didn’t. So I pulled it out of the tank and it moved? It sucked itself into the shell slowly so I don’t know if that is a dead snail thing. Any thoughts? I placed it back upright. Not sure how long I should wait to take it out for good lol 

I’m keeping my eye on this conch. I still can’t figure out if it’s dead or not. It looks like it moved slightly overnight but I don’t know if something pushed it. I took a picture to see if it moves again 

In other news, I am planning to add a pair of clowns to this tank. Sunday will put me at 2 weeks since the blenny was added. Is this enough time?