Coral Vue Hydros

Beginner using a 13.5-gallon Fluval Evo tank: Coral species advice please?

freeblackfish

Hi there. I'm a complete beginner, in the initial planning stage. Could members please advise me on species of coral suited to some parameters that I'll lay out here?

I'm looking to start out very slowly, and with no modifications in the foreseeable future (other than a circulation pump (Which among those at the link would you choose?), heater, and possibly a protein skimmer) of a 13.5-gallon Fluval Evo aquarium (1381 lumens; 14,000 K). I'm planning on using CaribSea Arag-Alive substrate (Fiji Pink sand) and CaribSea LifeRock.

I'd like to stock it with corals meeting the following criteria, in order of importance:

1. Appropriate given the limited lighting of the 13.5-gallon Fluval Evo aquarium
  2. For beginners (hardy, popular, etc.)
  3. Slow-growing
  4. Low-aggression (to the extent possible; seems like, at best, every species is deemed at least "semi-aggressive")
  5. Colors: cooler colors (greens, blues, violets), silver, mild pinks and peaches

One thing I'd like to avoid, for as long as possible, is the process of cutting back "overgrown" species that are threatening other species and/or the overall manageability and balance of the whole. Ideally no one coral would be disproportionately dominant and/or large in relation to other species. I"m fine with creating "islands" of Life Rock to discourage the spreading of individual coral species.

I'm aiming to start with the smallest frags available, and going very slowly in building out a nano reef. I'd like eventually to have one or two Ocellaris clownfish or a few/several blue-green chromis (which would probably necessitate a new, larger tank), and possibly a Pacific cleaner shrimp, but I won't add fish unless I happen to find them being given away (adopted out, basically, possibly for a token adoption fee) on Craigslist, etc. (I'd like to avoid buying fish)

I know there are a number of other conditions that I haven't considered (e.g., water clarity, flow) and I'd be very grateful to you for input on how to factor-in and weight any of them (and input on anything else, really).

Thanks very much, everyone!

The light on the evo is fine for softies and lps, some have even had sps up high.

Unfortunately all corals grow and spread, the rate differs between them all as well as the tanks conditions.

Each persons experience with a coral is different growth rate wise. 

Starting with softies and lps is recommended. Choose the ones you like that are listed as easy to moderate..

Highly recommend getting or making a media basket, ditching the stock media is beneficial. 

• Like 1
On 9/13/2019 at 11:05 AM, freeblackfish said:

Hi there. I'm a complete beginner, in the initial planning stage. Could members please advise me on species of coral suited to some parameters that I'll lay out here?

I'm looking to start out very slowly, and with no modifications in the foreseeable future (other than a circulation pump (Which among those at the link would you choose?), heater, and possibly a protein skimmer) of a 13.5-gallon Fluval Evo aquarium (1381 lumens; 14,000 K). I'm planning on using CaribSea Arag-Alive substrate (Fiji Pink sand) and CaribSea LifeRock.

I'd like to stock it with corals meeting the following criteria, in order of importance:

1. Appropriate given the limited lighting of the 13.5-gallon Fluval Evo aquarium
  2. For beginners (hardy, popular, etc.)
  3. Slow-growing
  4. Low-aggression (to the extent possible; seems like, at best, every species is deemed at least "semi-aggressive")
  5. Colors: cooler colors (greens, blues, violets), silver, mild pinks and peaches

One thing I'd like to avoid, for as long as possible, is the process of cutting back "overgrown" species that are threatening other species and/or the overall manageability and balance of the whole. Ideally no one coral would be disproportionately dominant and/or large in relation to other species. I"m fine with creating "islands" of Life Rock to discourage the spreading of individual coral species.

I'm aiming to start with the smallest frags available, and going very slowly in building out a nano reef. I'd like eventually to have one or two Ocellaris clownfish or a few/several blue-green chromis (which would probably necessitate a new, larger tank), and possibly a Pacific cleaner shrimp, but I won't add fish unless I happen to find them being given away (adopted out, basically, possibly for a token adoption fee) on Craigslist, etc. (I'd like to avoid buying fish)

I know there are a number of other conditions that I haven't considered (e.g., water clarity, flow) and I'd be very grateful to you for input on how to factor-in and weight any of them (and input on anything else, really).

Thanks very much, everyone!

To avoid doing lots of trimming, you'll want to avoid things like GSP, xenia, kenya trees, yellow polyps, etc.; basically all the 'weeds' of the coral world. Different corals will have different growth rates in your tank based on varying factors but in some ways, reefing is a bit like gardening; there will always be faster growers and some level of pruning will likely be required at some point. Avoiding the fastest growers will help with reducing the need for doing lots of removal.  I've had good success with ricordea, sometimes zoas, gorgonians, blastos, and toadstools, but your mileage may vary. I also like macro algae but some grow quite quickly (especially certain caulerpa species).  I'd look at others' tanks, see what you like/what jumps out at you and then do some reading/research on those corals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got LPS, softies and SPS but only got SPS after upgrading to an AI.

as discussed, recommend the Intank media basket, expensive but very useful.

I love Duncan corals (LPS).  I’ve got one with another 2 (Aussie so more brightly coloured - 1 green and one pink) arriving Friday. They are fairly slow growing, great movement, not aggressive and have good movement.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you, planning my tank, I'm sticking with the standard lights, I've no interest in sps at the moment, plus I like the fact that the lids reduces the evap a great deal, that and I have a 1yr old and I dont want her hand in there!!!

• 2 months later...

Nice. You may want to start your own thread, though, this is one that someone else made to talk about their own tank. You should make your own thread to talk about your own tank, or to introduce yourself.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:13 PM, DM-63 said:

Hi just started my 13.5 Evo ,looking forward to the hobby thinking about since md 90s

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  Feel free to start a thread in the Aquarium Journals forum to share your journey! I saw your other post about a clam--don't jump straight into keeping a clam, you'll want to have a mature tank with proper lighting before getting one--they are definitely not ideal for beginners!  Start slow and take your time, get experience, then when you've done a ton of research and are ready you can look at getting one.

Sorry to OP for the mini-hijack!

My first coral was a small frag of zoanthids.  Still my favorite to this day.  Hardy, easy to care for.  They spread, but probably won't grow as fast as you want them to. 

• 3 months later...