inTank Media Baskets

Easy care blenny or goby?

chipz

I'm trying to decide on a final fish or two for my 29 biocube. I currently have a pair of ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, a cleaner shrimp, and snails, plus one scarlet hermit. I'm looking for a fish that is similar to a tailspot blenny in behavior (perches on the rocks, kind of a game to spot), but that will not be so dependent on algae in its diet. I currently feed NLS pellets as a staple, with flake, frozen mysis, and a mix of other frozen foods for variety. I'm traveling a lot for work, so ideally I'd like it to be a fish that isn't picky about diet and doesn't need supplemental nori so that my husband or pet sitter can handle feeding while I'm away.

I've been thinking of midas blenny, clown goby (but heard they can be finnicky eaters), or sharknose goby as possibilities.

10 hours ago, chipz said:

I'm trying to decide on a final fish or two for my 29 biocube. I currently have a pair of ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, a cleaner shrimp, and snails, plus one scarlet hermit. I'm looking for a fish that is similar to a tailspot blenny in behavior (perches on the rocks, kind of a game to spot), but that will not be so dependent on algae in its diet. I currently feed NLS pellets as a staple, with flake, frozen mysis, and a mix of other frozen foods for variety. I'm traveling a lot for work, so ideally I'd like it to be a fish that isn't picky about diet and doesn't need supplemental nori so that my husband or pet sitter can handle feeding while I'm away.

I've been thinking of midas blenny, clown goby (but heard they can be finnicky eaters), or sharknose goby as possibilities.

I totally adore my yellow clown goby (Hank) in my biocube 16, but if I had a 29 I would also seriously consider a Midas blenny... at the same time, there’s something to be said for stocking working fish that control algae or pests... 

• Like 1

never kept one, but i reckon a watchman goby would be an awesome addition to that tank. with or without the pistol shrimp. midas blenny sounds good too! always wanted one but my lfs never has them! 

• Like 1

Midas blennies are active planktivors and should idealy be fed several times a day...at least twice. So your sitter would need to keep up on their food although they readily eat most anything.

The ones I have had are also pretty aggressive once they get big. I traded through a few to find own that wouldn't attack my clownfish. 

Sharknose gobies are easy keepers and eat mostly anything. Most shrimp gobies are pretty easy although some of the smaller varieties are very shy.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, everyone. As much as I love blennies I'm leaning towards the sharknose goby or maybe a yellow watchman goby because I prefer the idea of a captive-bred fish. Unless I can find someone in my local club looking to sell a blenny.

Does anyone else have experience with sharknose gobies accepting pellets?

• Like 1

I love my lawnmower blenny. Always picking at rocks, glass for algae, but also eats nori, mysis, and the occasional hermit crab that was killed by another hermit. Mine perches everywhere but his favorite spot is on top of my Gsp. IMG_20190916_211039.thumb.jpg.005ab129a1d653a3c3de27ce9da31d68.jpg

Why no TSB? Mine eats everything, Carnivore Pellets, Herbivore Pellets, Mysis, BBS, Artemis, Reef Roids (goes Mental on this) plus see it picking at algae.

I also have a Firecracker Goby (Nano) you could do a small congregation of these i suppose, tiny little perching fish. 

Red Headed Goby - Again a Nano Fish but is fun to watch my pair squabble and chase each other around the tank, eats like a pig. Also regularly take food from my Clownfish's mouth 

• Like 2