Cultivated Reef

95% sure my LTA just ate my clown

Wicksy

I've had my tank setup for about 6 months now and a pair of clowns for about 3 months. They were still going through the pairing process the female still slightly bullying the male by chasing him around now and again. The male was smaller but overall absolutely healthy and had no signs of sickness at all.

3 weeks ago I was gifted a tiny LTA (full well knowing it would outgrow my 13.5G Fluval Evo eventually) it floated around for a day and settled into the rockwork almost exactly where I wanted it and has been thriving ever since.

Not two hours ago the male was seen in the tank and I just went and had a look and the LTA was fully closed but its body extended quite high and full looking. Either my clown jumped out of that tiny feeding hole in the lid and I cant find him or he was just LTA dinner. I had no clue these guys were fish eaters until some googling 😭

20190911_122601_1.gif

20190910_011312_1.gif

You'll know for sure if/when it spits out the undigested parts of the fish.  🙃

If one clownfish bullied the other enough to damage it, then yes, the anemone probably stung it and ate it.  That usually happens when the clownfish's slime coat is damaged and it is no longer protected from the anemone's nematocysts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Usually when anemones eat, they look full, like a big gum bubble.

golden-grey-mullet-liza-aurata-young-animal-being-eaten-by-a-sea-anemone-GMXJYA.jpg

It usually closes into a "bulb" like this at night and slowly opens in the morning as the lights kick on, last night the "bulb" was definitely engorged and earlier than usual.

Very disappointed really enjoyed watching the pair. My LFS has a black ocellaris about the same size as my female, I just don't want to end up with the same situation as before .... ah I feel terrible for taking this LTA, little guy would still be swimming 😭

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Usually when anemones eat, they look full, like a big gum bubble.

golden-grey-mullet-liza-aurata-young-animal-being-eaten-by-a-sea-anemone-GMXJYA.jpg

You can also usually see what they are eating through their light colored base.  I don't see any dark colored areas in the base of the anemone in the OPs photos.  To me, it looks like the anemone is stretching out to get more light.

I would check through the rock work to make sure the smaller clown isn't hiding or dead and decomposing somewhere.  Also check the floor around the tank...clownfish can jump through the smallest of holes and if one is bullying the other there is a good chance that it jumped.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, j.falk said:

You can also usually see what they are eating through their light colored base.  I don't see any dark colored areas in the base of the anemone in the OPs photos.  To me, it looks like the anemone is stretching out to get more light.

I would check through the rock work to make sure the smaller clown isn't hiding or dead and decomposing somewhere.  Also check the floor around the tank...clownfish can jump through the smallest of holes and if one is bullying the other there is a good chance that it jumped.

Sorry I should have stated the OP photos aren't of him eating the clown I just posted a picture of the nem lol I checked with a light and he definitely ate it I could see it through the flesh this morning as you said. 

1 hour ago, Wicksy said:

Sorry I should have stated the OP photos aren't of him eating the clown I just posted a picture of the nem lol I checked with a light and he definitely ate it I could see it through the flesh this morning as you said. 

* shudders *  Wait til you see the leftovers it spits out...it's disturbing seeing what they do to a fish.  

And now that it's gotten the taste of blood...here fishy, fishy...  😄 

little-shop-of-horrors.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1