ReefAdoRe

ReefADoRe’s Biocube 16g - A very hard journey

ReefAdoRe
15 minutes ago, ReefAdoRe said:

As a matter of fact I’m going to go test again right now! 

84C49B06-33A0-44E3-B5E6-BB3CA80A0C02.thumb.jpeg.2a4a48c86a3583ed37aa549878a40265.jpeg

E1AEFAE6-D146-46B9-88DA-C193B7073328.jpeg

Tired

Mini cycling occurs when there's too much ammonia for your bacteria to handle, either because of an ammonia increase or a bacteria decrease. Adding uncured live rock (with decaying things in it) can cause an ammonia spike, as you've seen. It should pass pretty quickly, your bacteria will rapidly multiply to handle it.

• Like 1

ReefAdoRe
46 minutes ago, Tired said:

Mini cycling occurs when there's too much ammonia for your bacteria to handle, either because of an ammonia increase or a bacteria decrease. Adding uncured live rock (with decaying things in it) can cause an ammonia spike, as you've seen. It should pass pretty quickly, your bacteria will rapidly multiply to handle it.

It was cured live rock so hopefully it did the job of adding biodiversity for now. I’ve been testing - everything’s been good so far. 😊

• Like 2

Txplicit

Great to hear!  You're on your way.  Oh don't waste your time testing for nitrite too often.  Ammonia/nitrate/phosphate are the main 3. Alk/ph/calcium/mag for specific coral health.

• Like 1

Tired

You also don't have to test ammonia and nitrites if everything looks happy. If your corals aren't upset, you don't have ammonia or nitrites. Don't waste your time and test juice, corals know what they do and don't like.

• Like 2

ReefAdoRe
1 hour ago, Txplicit said:

Great to hear!  You're on your way.  Oh don't waste your time testing for nitrite too often.  Ammonia/nitrate/phosphate are the main 3. Alk/ph/calcium/mag for specific coral health.

I’ve been doing this too. My calcium is low so I’ve been dosing with two part reef fusion and little by little it’s going up. I can’t wait 😊 I’ve already been browsing WWC!!!

• Like 1

ReefAdoRe

Question for you guys: can I stick with instant ocean regular or should I change to reef crystals?

Tired

Instant Ocean is workable, but they don't batch-test, so you're more likely to get a mismixed batch. I'm not sure if Reef Crystals is much better. I think they're both on the lower end as salt mixes go, but they are viable. 

• Thanks 1

Txplicit

The best thing to do is find one you like and stay with it.  Stability is key.  You will probably have to dose and adjust trace elements based on livestock load and consumption no matter which salt you choose.  

• Thanks 1