Coral Vue Hydros

fluval spec 3 or aquanano 30 help please

bboi84

hi all so i need some help i picked up a fluval spec 3 the other day that i was going to turn into a reef tank but also want to do a matching tank in freshwater for a planted betta tank. originally i was looking at the fluval spec 3 or the aquanano 30 and decided on the spec as i found one on social media for £10.......

however finding a second bargain has not been so easy.

but i now have the opportunity to pick up 2 aquanano 30s (tank only nothing else) for £60 delivered. and am now in a quandry. which tank would be better??  i love the little spec and will be a lovely tank once wet and filled with life but the opportunity to have those extra 12 litres could make for a greater choice of livestock even if the tank is not actuallt that much bigger 

so the question is what would you choose which will be the easier tanks to build to a spec that actually works for marine. having not seen the aquanano how do the back compartments fare? which will fit a pump that will make a good amount of flow for the tank as i want to keep extra powerheads etc out of the main tank.

any help is greatly appreciated 

thanks adam

As a general rule, larger aquariums (until we get past nano size) are easier to keep stable, and easier to stock. If you haven't done much saltwater before, head for the bigger tanks. 

thanks tired. ive had a few marine tanks originally an old fluval ebi shrinp tank (basically an aquanano30 without the back chambers) that i added a large hob filter to and loved that tank and had that untill i upgraded to a roma 90 as you always want bigger then to a innovative marine nuvo 20 but it was just too much cost with very little reward i was spending huindreds of pounds to fill little bits of the aquarium and never getting anywhere which is where i then always wish id stuck to the nano aquaruims.

i love the fluval spec and the rockwork i have in it looks so good. but is it gonna have enough space is my worry 

please find attached picture of the spec as it stands 

IMG_4124.jpg

If you want 2 matching tanks, I'd do the aquanano, plus more water volume and room is better for many reasons.

You could use the fluval spec as a qt tank, another reef tank to add to the other 2, or turn around and sell it.

It's always good to have an extra tank around in case of anything or you end up wanting another tank(frequently happens😃)

• Like 1

Will the standard pump be enough flow for the Aquanano tank?  My worry for this tank is where the outlet hole is as it seems quite low? I will be getting their spraybar and duckbill attachments I’m guessing the duckbill will be better for the marine and the spraybar will be better for the tropical??

• Like 1

Ok so little update. I decided that the deal of 2 Aquanano 30s for £60 delivered was too good a deal to miss out on so they are coming on Wednesday. So soon I will have a fluval spec up for sale once all the dry stuff is moved across. As these tanks come with nothing except the tank it’s self time to start looking at what equipment I want for these tanks.