Jump to content
Tamberav

🌊 80g Shallow 🐠 - New Kitten!!

Recommended Posts

Tamberav
15 minutes ago, Opotter said:

IPSF I presume?  Educate me on these guys!  Are they like small conchs, cleaning/living in the sand bed?  Or are they more rock work/glass cleaners?  I’ve been thinking about placing an order with them and having a few other things like mini-stars added on the seed my 5 month old lagoon.  However..I’ve just added my first fish, pre-quarantined through one of the vendors on Humble’s forum, so now I’m hesitant on re-upping my clean up crew and introducing disease.. 😕 meh.  It would be my luck to buy healthy fish and give them ich or velvet from a damn snail.

 

Yes IPSF, they charge so much :tears:

 

They look like small conches but they clean everything, rock, glass, anywhere. They breed readily and establish their own population and are nice looking. 

 

You could set up a simple QT for your snails and isolate them 76 days. 

 

Sadly I just lost my Copperband this week, was eating GREAT for a long time now, not a mark on her, then dead. I was debating ordering one from humble or the others that QT fish but leaning on getting an Atlantic butterfly instead. They max 4 inches so it would be very comfy in this tank size. Main reason though is I will know it was hand collected and short transit time to my house. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
53 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Just paid 70 bucks to have TWELVE snails shipped to me :wacko: 😫

 

The mini conch strombus snails from Hawaii, strombus maculatus. Hopefully they breed well in my fuge and I can sell them much cheaper but still make the 70 back that I invested in time. 

 

They are WONDERFUL snails.  

Spendiest CUC I have ever seen 👀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
billygoat
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

 

Yes IPSF, they charge so much :tears:

 

They look like small conches but they clean everything, rock, glass, anywhere. They breed readily and establish their own population and are nice looking. 

 

You could set up a simple QT for your snails and isolate them 76 days. 

 

Sadly I just lost my Copperband this week, was eating GREAT for a long time now, not a mark on her, then dead. I was debating ordering one from humble or the others that QT fish but leaning on getting an Atlantic butterfly instead. They max 4 inches so it would be very comfy in this tank size. Main reason though is I will know it was hand collected and short transit time to my house. 

Sorry to hear about the loss. Copperbands are so finicky; even at work (I work at a large public aquarium) we only have the occasional one here and there. I don't think we even keep them in our large (350k gallon) FOWLR reef, because they would either get beat up by something and die from stress or just starve.

 

Unfortunate losses aside though, I exclaimed aloud when I saw your latest FTS on the last page. Absolutely beautiful aquarium. You have utilized the space and dimensions of your large shallow tank in an expert fashion. I was in love with your macro tank before it got broken down but I like this one even more. 👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Opotter

I was thinking maybe I would set up a plastic tote for snails with a heater and some flow.  I was also thinking about maybe just ordering some trochus from algaebarn.  More expensive but breed in a system that is isolated from fish/everything until delivered to your door. I may ask IPSF about their systems, I think they breed a lot  of their stuff too. Maybe they have a similar set up.  Maybe a non-issue and I’m worrying about it for nothing.

 

Sorry to hear about the copperband!  I do have to say, I loved my experience with quarantined marine (Joel).  Humble set me up with him because he was booked and moving.  Man, it was easy and the fish came in plump and active, eating well!  It was honestly totally worth it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
8 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Sorry to hear about the loss. Copperbands are so finicky; even at work (I work at a large public aquarium) we only have the occasional one here and there. I don't think we even keep them in our large (350k gallon) FOWLR reef, because they would either get beat up by something and die from stress or just starve.

 

Unfortunate losses aside though, I exclaimed aloud when I saw your latest FTS on the last page. Absolutely beautiful aquarium. You have utilized the space and dimensions of your large shallow tank in an expert fashion. I was in love with your macro tank before it got broken down but I like this one even more. 👍

wow thank you so much :wub: Hopefully things just plug along and growth continues. Grow it in enough then use that as an excuse to get a custom 8ft loog tank. I need it for my wrasse eventually 😉

 

I have seen other people with them eating great only for them to die mysteriously. The pacific one is supposed to be hardier, perhaps because it does not need to exchange as many hands. 

 

I just got an email that my custom lid has shipped! SO thats exciting, I hate my janky one as it has to be taped on to keep the cats out.

8 minutes ago, Opotter said:

I was thinking maybe I would set up a plastic tote for snails with a heater and some flow.  I was also thinking about maybe just ordering some trochus from algaebarn.  More expensive but breed in a system that is isolated from fish/everything until delivered to your door. I may ask IPSF about their systems, I think they breed a lot  of their stuff too. Maybe they have a similar set up.  Maybe a non-issue and I’m worrying about it for nothing.

 

Sorry to hear about the copperband!  I do have to say, I loved my experience with quarantines marine (Joel).  Humble set me up with him because he was booked and moving.  Man, it was easy and the fish came in plump and active, eating well!  It was honestly totally worth it.

Ya they do captive breed them so they may be isolated from fish. I am not sure if they are near the ocean or what not and use ocean water or such. Would be worth asking.

 

21 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Spendiest CUC I have ever seen 👀

 

No joke!! They are so cool and great cleaners. Someone used to sell them here before his tank got shut down and they were very desirable. Maybe with a little luck I can get them breeding.  

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
spectra
43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I don't know... I can't get nitrate above 0, I am actually trying to keep dino at bay. I saw some on the sand but flipped on the UV and dosed nitrate so I don't see it now. I think my old rock helps. It has been with me forever. That and I have my macro in the sump and run a medium sized skimmer. I stir the sand bed every 3 days but plan on adding the sand sifting goby to hopefully do that for me. I will have to put some extra rock or PVC under my rocks though or he will bury some of these corals.
 

I do feed my fish a lot. I want them to be healthy and fat and have a lot of debris in the sump. I ordered a connector to put on a maxijet to suck it out - hope it works!

 

212161-vividcreativeaquatics-mjpumpvacuu

 

 

 

I use a bucket head for sump cleaning...……...but kind of like the looks of that...……. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer
Just now, spectra said:

 

I use a bucket head for sump cleaning...……...but kind of like the looks of that...……. 

what's a bucket head?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
spectra
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

what's a bucket head?

We had this discussion in the lounge...……….:biggrin: 

 

shop vac that attaches to a five gallon bucket...…...home depot bucket head...…..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
10 minutes ago, spectra said:

 

I use a bucket head for sump cleaning...……...but kind of like the looks of that...……. 

ya those look great!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer
36 minutes ago, spectra said:

We had this discussion in the lounge...……….:biggrin: 

 

shop vac that attaches to a five gallon bucket...…...home depot bucket head...…..

Oooh yeah! Now I remember. Steel trap here.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
JBM
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I don't know... I can't get nitrate above 0, I am actually trying to keep dino at bay. I saw some on the sand but flipped on the UV and dosed nitrate so I don't see it now. I think my old rock helps. It has been with me forever. That and I have my macro in the sump and run a medium sized skimmer. I stir the sand bed every 3 days but plan on adding the sand sifting goby to hopefully do that for me. I will have to put some extra rock or PVC under my rocks though or he will bury some of these corals.
 

I do feed my fish a lot. I want them to be healthy and fat and have a lot of debris in the sump. I ordered a connector to put on a maxijet to suck it out - hope it works!

 

212161-vividcreativeaquatics-mjpumpvacuu

 

 

Melevs did a youtube video about a similar device.

 

Iirc he ran the output to a 10 micron sock. Seemed to work rather well. 

 

Personally. I ignore the gunk in my sump.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
HiImSean

I love the china wrasse. I think they’re stunning. I always wanted one in my 90g

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
27 minutes ago, JBM said:

Melevs did a youtube video about a similar device.

 

Iirc he ran the output to a 10 micron sock. Seemed to work rather well. 

 

Personally. I ignore the gunk in my sump.

 

I tend to clean it out maybe twice a year-ish. I was thinking of putting it through a sock 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
26 minutes ago, HiImSean said:

I love the china wrasse. I think they’re stunning. I always wanted one in my 90g

Yeah, they are really beautiful!! The electric blue outline/dots. 

Share this post


Link to post
IceParrot
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

 

Yes IPSF, they charge so much :tears:

 

They look like small conches but they clean everything, rock, glass, anywhere. They breed readily and establish their own population and are nice looking. 

 

You could set up a simple QT for your snails and isolate them 76 days. 

 

Sadly I just lost my Copperband this week, was eating GREAT for a long time now, not a mark on her, then dead. I was debating ordering one from humble or the others that QT fish but leaning on getting an Atlantic butterfly instead. They max 4 inches so it would be very comfy in this tank size. Main reason though is I will know it was hand collected and short transit time to my house. 

The exact same thing happened to my old copperband. One day eating like a pig the next dead. 😞

I think it could of been cyanide from when it was collected.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
19 minutes ago, IceParrot said:

The exact same thing happened to my old copperband. One day eating like a pig the next dead. 😞

I think it could of been cyanide from when it was collected.

That was my thought too 😞 very frustrating! 

Share this post


Link to post
HiImSean
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah, they are really beautiful!! The electric blue outline/dots. 

I’ve only seen them once at a lfs and yes while it’s not a super colorful fish, the subtle colors and stark black on white is what makes them such a beautiful fish. Good luck and I hope yours lives a long happy life. I know that people have a hard time getting them to eat prepared foods even mysis. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
1 hour ago, HiImSean said:

I’ve only seen them once at a lfs and yes while it’s not a super colorful fish, the subtle colors and stark black on white is what makes them such a beautiful fish. Good luck and I hope yours lives a long happy life. I know that people have a hard time getting them to eat prepared foods even mysis. 

Yeah they can be finicky, I have live black worms, live white worms, and live clam (I bought live and froze myself). She eats all of these readily. Frozen mysis isn't her favorite. I would 100% recommend anyone bringing this fish home have live foods on hand. She is more finicky then the common leopards. 

 

I have never seen a male in person... but wow!

 

China-Wrasse-Anampses-neoguinaicus-app.j

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
HiImSean

That male is sweet. A local guy who got out of the hobby a few years back had a 100g filled with finicky Anampses. I envied hi tank so much!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

My store just had a yellow-tail tamarin come in last week. Was immediately purchased the moment it arrived, but I managed to glimpse the fish firsthand before it was gone. I know Anampses sp. types are very finicky and sensitive, but they're actually very unique-looking/stunning. 

 

I like your China wrasse. 🙂 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

My store just had a yellow-tail tamarin come in last week. Was immediately purchased the moment it arrived, but I managed to glimpse the fish firsthand before it was gone. I know Anampses sp. types are very finicky and sensitive, but they're actually very unique-looking/stunning. 

 

I like your China wrasse. 🙂 

Spectra has one of those yellow tails in his new big tank. Gorgeous fish.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
spectra
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Spectra has one of those yellow tails in his new big tank. Gorgeous fish.

Mine is a red tail tamarin.........but they are the same.........would love to find a male...........local dealer had one but it sold quickly.........

 

image.png.06af1e2afb51d178fefd04403e6e0dc0.png

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Spectra has one of those yellow tails in his new big tank. Gorgeous fish.

Really? Well, it's a very pretty fish. Will hop into Spectra's thread later to have a look. 😄 

5 minutes ago, spectra said:

Mine is a red tail tamarin.........but they are the same.........would love to find a male...........local dealer had one but it sold quickly.........

 

image.png.06af1e2afb51d178fefd04403e6e0dc0.png

Ah, I posted the same time you did. Red-tail ones are really nice-looking too. But if you have a female now, won't it eventually switch over to a male like most wrasses?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Mine is a red tail tamarin.........but they are the same.........would love to find a male...........local dealer had one but it sold quickly.........

 

image.png.06af1e2afb51d178fefd04403e6e0dc0.png

Oh wow the male is gorgeous. It's amazing that they're so different in pattern. I knew it was a tamarin @spectra, I just forgot what color. Steel trap remember? (Obviously I can't)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
spectra
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Really? Well, it's a very pretty fish. Will hop into Spectra's thread later to have a look. 😄 

Ah, I posted the same time you did. Red-tail ones are really nice-looking too. But if you have a female now, won't it eventually switch over to a male like most wrasses?

Not sure what makes them turn.........I have had a female blue star for almost 2 years now and has grown from about 1 1/2 to 3" plus and has not turned.........tried to get another one seeing if I could make one turn but it buried itself in the sand and have not seen it since.........the Tamarin is also about 3" in length.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...