SaltCritters.com

🌊 80g Shallow 🐠 - Plus cats!

Tamberav

On 11/17/2019 at 12:53 AM, Tamberav said:

Mostly I hate cords. Why can't my power heads chain link and use one power supply. 

i hear you on that. Have a 6 outlet multi-strip. I need more

• Like 1

SPS color is returning... Tank is winding down for the night. My hanna alk solution got spilled so haven't started testing levels yet. I ordered some replacements.

MVIMG_20191125_215009.thumb.jpg.e275b98788f26a119c62daef329637d5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 3
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

SPS color is returning... Tank is winding down for the night. My hanna alk solution got spilled so haven't started testing levels yet. I ordered some replacements.

This is what I want to upgrade too but I fear it maybe a bit much for an apartment 😂😭

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Tank goal!

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Matteo said:

This is what I want to upgrade too but I fear it maybe a bit much for an apartment 😂😭

I am in an apartment! This tank is fantastic! It is shallow enough to make it easy to reach everything even on a high stand. It feels like a nano in all the good ways but bigger! I am soooo glad I didn't settle for a standard sized tank. 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

I am in an apartment! This tank is fantastic! It is shallow enough to make it easy to reach everything even on a high stand. It feels like a nano in all the good ways but bigger! I am soooo glad I didn't settle for a standard sized tank. 

Shit. I have no excuse now. Ugh but I'd totally need an Rodi as water changes from the lfs would get spendier. Then I gotta find a way to plumb it in my place safely and oh boy imma hold on my nano for a little while longer 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
10 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Shit. I have no excuse now. Ugh but I'd totally need an Rodi as water changes from the lfs would get spendier. Then I gotta find a way to plumb it in my place safely and oh boy imma hold on my nano for a little while longer 😂

haha, well they make a part you just screw under the sink or laundry area or some people attach them to the faucet. 😉 huge sales on RODI's right now.... peer pressure..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

haha, well they make a part you just screw under the sink or laundry area or some people attach them to the faucet. 😉 huge sales on RODI's right now.... peer pressure..

STOP IT. 

Granted... I landed a FAT account which I'll start receiving mad commissions for starting February. Sooooooooo we'll see what happens. That's also tax return season 👀

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
On 11/26/2019 at 12:06 AM, Tamberav said:

Im gonna echo what Tamberav said. I went from a 20 long to a deep blue 80g. The only difference being, mine is rimmed. It's perfect, and has probably sold me on "lagoon" or "shallow" style tanks forever. I too live in a small space (condo 800sq ft) Yea, i could have a 120 or 150 for the same footprint. But I don't like wet armpit. Almost all nano stuff still works with it. I run a mp10 on one side, and a icecap 1k on the other side. Idk about Tamberav, but i change 10-15 gallons once a month. With the glass lids, i top off 5g during that same time. So max of 20g of water a month

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not done a water change yet, tank is 23 days old I think.

I tested

Nitrate: 0 :sideeyes:

PO4: 0.07

Everything looks okay so far, will test alk shortly as the new hanna solution came today.

My sand gets filthy quickly so I am stirring it a few times a week, I miss bare bottom lol but husband always asks for sand. 

Edit: welp alk is 5.0... Everything looks fine... I suppose I should start very slowly raising it. Haven't done any water changes or dosing since set up so I figured it would be low. 

• Like 3

I ended up splurging and buying two tunzes as my current powerheads were never meant for a tank this large. It is way more than I wanted to spend but Tunze has a 2 year warranty and a great track record and apex compatible. 

The next splurge will be a custom lid but I need to recover and pick up some extra hours at work to cover my spending.

I bought a few fish but no corals, I want to let the tank settle in some more and nutrients and alk find their balance before adding any coral.

• Like 3

ooo it appears my white spotted pygmy filefish have spawned! 😮

The female was suddenly being aggressive chasing other fish away which she has never done and she was constantly hanging by a patch of macro. Upon closer look, she is tending to a certain spot on the algae. Unfortunately is it is difficult area to see or take pics of. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 3

Besides the $15 I spent on fish.... This is most of my Black Friday shopping minus the rodi filters I replaced already and another hanna alk kit. I plan to order a custom lid tonight since artfully acrylic still had their sale going. If you don't see me for awhile it is because I am working extra to pay for it all.

Now time to hide it all before the husband sees. 

MVIMG_20191206_142301.thumb.jpg.b1e5e053c02d6ea184cdc6106315fb35.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Tank is one month and 2 days old now.

Nitrate has been 0 and PO4 0.06 since I set it up. I feed heavy but I like macro and it sucks nutrients down.

I saw dino week 2 but had already planned on that and had a UV plumbed into my return. I flipped that on and dino was gone in a few days.

I got some tunze pumps on black Friday for some much needed flow. I also changed two of my t5 and will change the other two in 2-4 weeks.

I didn't bother to test or dose the first few weeks so alk was 5.0....no biggy. I been slowly bringing it up... Was 5.6 last I checked. SPS continue to regain color and are even growing which I have no clue how as such a low alk.

Haven't done a water change yet... maybe soon just for some trace elements. I toss some acro power in randomly.

Fish are thriving so far.

White worm culture arrived today.

MVIMG_20191206_211929.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Tank is one month and 2 days old now.

Nitrate has been 0 and PO4 0.06 since I set it up. I feed heavy but I like macro and it sucks nutrients down.

I saw dino week 2 but had already planned on that and had a UV plumbed into my return. I flipped that on and dino was gone in a few days.

I got some tunze pumps on black Friday for some much needed flow. I also changed two of my t5 and will change the other two in 2-4 weeks.

I didn't bother to test or dose the first few weeks so alk was 5.0....no biggy. I been slowly bringing it up... Was 5.6 last I checked. SPS continue to regain color and are even growing which I have no clue how as such a low alk.

Haven't done a water change yet... maybe soon just for some trace elements. I toss some acro power in randomly.

Fish are thriving so far.

White worm culture arrived today.

MVIMG_20191206_211929.jpg

Um yeah your tank is ummm ugly.... And I'm not jealous at all...... 

👀👀👀👀😭

Goals... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Um yeah your tank is ummm ugly.... And I'm not jealous at all...... 

👀👀👀👀😭

Goals... 

lol your tank looks fantastic already 🙂

• Wow 1

Apex cable isn't here yet but that will give me limitless control over the Tunzes. I decided on Tunze because they had an actual sale going instead of just 10%, apex compatible, can last decades, and then I found out they make wide flow version, sold! 

They are pretty good size but Tunze says they are for tanks up to 265g so that makes sense. They blend in enough.

Playing around with the pumps, this is 25% with some pulse action. Yes, disney plus in the background 😛

Hey Tamberav! Looks great! Like fantastic! Just one thing you should know about Tunze stream pumps. Never run them below 30-35% as part of your continuously operating program. You can pulse them from zero to 35, but do not pulse them from like 10 to 30. It's something about the motors not responding well to that little current I think, but running them under 30-35% will shorten their lives considerably. The best way I can describe it is running them so that they never fall below 30-35% is best for their longevity. Running them on pulses from 0% to above 35% is perfectly fine for them, but they'll suffer a tiny bit more wear than if they don't fall below 35% though they should still last 5+ years. Finally running them so that they ramp up and down under 30-35% will cause them to wear out quickly. Almost any time the stream pumps have died after a few months or a year its because they were run too low for too long.

I've been running a custom program on nanostreams through an apex for a few years now that takes two pumps and ramps their pulses up in a fashion to mimic the tidal flow. Let me know if you want any help with writing code for your pumps.