SaltCritters.com

🌊 80g Shallow 🐠 - Plus cats!

Tamberav

2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

What a pretty dog! Is he an Aussie/Border mix?

Mom was half Aussie and border collie and dad was half German Shepherd and Rough Collie so 25 percent of each of those makes this apparently. He was one of the pups left so I tell everyone no one wanted him cuz he's so ugly! 😝

MVIMG_20190705_190254.thumb.jpg.b9af68be2dacb61219172cf3d6accf67.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
Just now, Tamberav said:

Mom was half Aussie and border collie and dad was half German Shepherd and Rough Collie so 25 percent of each of those makes this apparently. He was one of the pups left so I tell everyone no one wanted him cuz he's so ugly! 😝

MVIMG_20190705_190254.thumb.jpg.b9af68be2dacb61219172cf3d6accf67.jpg

Ugly?!?!? What an insult he’s GORGEOUS!! And I bet smart as a whip too! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Ugly?!?!? What an insult he’s GORGEOUS!! And I bet smart as a whip too! 

Haha ya I joke. We weren't sure what he was going to look like. He had the rough Collie thinner snout as a pup but tipped ears for his first two years and he just kept changing. 

We do agility with him and he does fantastic. Now I can't say the same for myself... The trainer is always correcting me. Lol

I can never remember which side of the weave poles he should enter on but luckily he always knows so I just let him do his thing.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I plan to go to RAP, too! Probably Saturday 😊

That's my plan is for Sat but my car was like $460 to fix so guess I should pick up some hours at work so I can still buy corals guilt free.

• Wow 1
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Haha ya I joke. We weren't sure what he was going to look like. He had the rough Collie thinner snout as a pup but tipped ears for his first two years and he just kept changing. 

We do agility with him and he does fantastic. Now I can't say the same for myself... The trainer is always correcting me. Lol

I can never remember which side of the weave poles he should enter on but luckily he always knows so I just let him do his thing.

That’s fun! Our Aussies are lazy house potatoes. They just chase the cats and boys around.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh geez...I hate it when things go that way.

From this distance your silicone job looks pretty clean! I would have that stuff all over every surface! How did you decide how close to place the baffles together? (I mean the ones right next to each other.) I wish mine were more narrow like yours.

Well it doesn't look to bad from the side but it's not clean....it should have been but my plan was to come pull the masking tape off when I got back from Lowe's ...well ofc by the time I got home it was partially dry and a mess to peel off. Oh well...it will function and you can't see the messy spots from the front lol

I had a return pump and skimmer already in storage so I made the baffles to the right just big enough for them....left baffle is for filter cup size and bubble trap and the big one is a fuge. I just guessed on size of bubble trap....didn't want to slow flow or make it a pita to clean if they were super close together but needed fuge room. Honestly just eyeballed that one.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That’s fun! Our Aussies are lazy house potatoes. They just chase the cats and boys around.

Mine is pretty high drive and energy. The parents are working on a cattle farm. If I ignore his requests to throw his rubber bone he will start by putting it on my knee...then theigh...then arms or armpit lol... Eventually he will put it under my chin....next is my mouth so I stop him at that point!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Mine is pretty high drive and energy. The parents are working on a cattle farm. If I ignore his requests to throw his rubber bone he will start by putting it on my knee...then theigh...then arms or armpit lol... Eventually he will put it under my chin....next is my mouth so I stop him at that point!

Our red tri is like that. He was just shoving his green ball in my face in fact 😂

C6A94E5A-92EF-4E82-8184-5369B58BF353.thumb.jpeg.b48e4fbf12864c2129d3c5867d7e03ee.jpeg

His older cousin was yapping in his ear just because why not? He doesn’t actually want the ball, just to bark.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Our red tri is like that. He was just shoving his green ball in my face in fact 😂

C6A94E5A-92EF-4E82-8184-5369B58BF353.thumb.jpeg.b48e4fbf12864c2129d3c5867d7e03ee.jpeg

His older cousin was yapping in his ear just because why not? He doesn’t actually want the ball, just to bark.

They are adorable! Surprisingly mine is not yappy at all. Silent during his agility runs. He only does big German Shepard barks at people he thinks need to get the heck out of our yard and an angry bark at me when I take his toy away. His bark is all German Shepard. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

They are adorable! Surprisingly mine is not yappy at all. Silent during his agility runs. He only does big German Shepard barks at people he thinks need to get the heck out of our yard and an angry bark at me when I take his toy away. His bark is all German Shepard. 

That would be kind of a shock hearing a big German shepherd bark out of a border collie 😂 I bet people move though!

• Like 1

Slowww progress on my days off....got things measured and plumbing parts ordered from BRS. Nothing fancy...but a gate valve and such that I needed and some BRS netting so fish don't jump out until I can get a top custom made.

I also had to special order some parts from red sea as I plan to plumb my macro tank into this one as a display fuge of sorts and to make life easier.

I may work on putting some peg board on the very back today and maybe figure out how I will hang the lights. I need to keep cats and dog hair out.

Don't expect fancy here... functional but hopefully not an eyesore. I don't own any power tools for fancy.

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Slowww progress on my days off....got things measured and plumbing parts ordered from BRS. Nothing fancy...but a gate valve and such that I needed and some BRS netting so fish don't jump out until I can get a top custom made.

I also had to special order some parts from red sea as I plan to plumb my macro tank into this one as a display fuge of sorts and to make life easier.

I may work on putting some peg board on the very back today and maybe figure out how I will hang the lights. I need to keep cats and dog hair out.

Don't expect fancy here... functional but hopefully not an eyesore. I don't own any power tools for fancy.

Not sure what type of custom lid you are going for but for the money the Red Sea kit can not be beat...I have built a few of them and the price is good.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, spectra said:

Not sure what type of custom lid you are going for but for the money the Red Sea kit can not be beat...I have built a few of them and the price is good.

I end up getting the Clearview classic lid custom made because my cats are MONSTERS! No fear of water so they tend to eventually destroy anything that can't hold the weight of a bunch of cats. In fact as I was typing this the youngest found some spare BRS netting in my pile of fish crap I took out for this build.... and hes trying to tear it up.

Plan is to make something temporary I will no doubt have to fix frequently until a custom made lid arrives... takes 6 weeks or so...

I used to do the cheaper lids.... but hes such a little monster...

MVIMG_20191012_131218.thumb.jpg.b3462d9ac785d778b1467f22ea27d2b8.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I end up getting the Clearview classic lid custom made because my cats are MONSTERS! No fear of water so they tend to eventually destroy anything that can't hold the weight of a bunch of cats. In fact as I was typing this the youngest found some spare BRS netting in my pile of fish crap I took out for this build.... and hes trying to tear it up.

Plan is to make something temporary I will no doubt have to fix frequently until a custom made lid arrives... takes 6 weeks or so...

I used to do the cheaper lids.... but hes such a little monster...

MVIMG_20191012_131218.thumb.jpg.b3462d9ac785d778b1467f22ea27d2b8.jpg

kitty wouldnt like me :lol: would learn quick leave the tank alone..............

7 minutes ago, spectra said:

kitty wouldnt like me :lol: would learn quick leave the tank alone..............

He is not considered a domestic cat. He is a early generation bengal so if you boss him too hardcore...the leopard comes out. When he first arrived he didn't know or trust me and the vet couldn't handle him so I held him down so she could assess and he clamped down on my hand as hard as he could growling at 9 weeks and it was a bloody mess.

Sounds horrible but he knows and loves me now and plays without using his claws but will still growl when I stop him from doing what he wants....just no more blood.

The early gens are pretty wild still but get attached to their people.

They are naturally attracted to water. 

I don't mind it ..I just have to child proof the house..I knew what I was getting into when I brought a hybrid animal home.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress is slowwww! cuz my work schedule sucks this month. 

I went for frozen food at the LFS 2 days ago and ended up making two impulse purchases. A tiny juvi earmuff wrasse and a really nice looking lubbocks wrasse. I picked them up yesterday and they are both in a 10g FOWLR conditioning tank, both ate cautiously this morning.

I guess the earmuff has been there a month but they had hired some new employees and she ended up in a tank on the floor without a sticker and went unnoticed for a month. When I asked about her a few days ago, a newer employee said that was a QT tank and she was probably sick and wasn't for sale. I emailed the owner and he said that wasn't one of the QT tanks (although there are some down on the floor in another area) and he would do some further teaching for his new employees. Anywho he saved her for me.

Hopefully she does well. She was very unhappy at the LFS because her tank had no sand and one flat rock. She dove into the sand as soon as I released her yesterday.

MVIMG_20191023_120850.jpg

MVIMG_20191023_120847.jpg

MVIMG_20191023_120840.jpg

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Progress is slowwww! cuz my work schedule sucks this month. 

I went for frozen food at the LFS 2 days ago and ended up making two impulse purchases. A tiny juvi earmuff wrasse and a really nice looking lubbocks wrasse. I picked them up yesterday and they are both in a 10g FOWLR conditioning tank, both ate cautiously this morning.

I guess the earmuff has been there a month but they had hired some new employees and she ended up in a tank on the floor without a sticker and went unnoticed for a month. When I asked about her a few days ago, a newer employee said that was a QT tank and she was probably sick and wasn't for sale. I emailed the owner and he said that wasn't one of the QT tanks (although there are some down on the floor in another area) and he would do some further teaching for his new employees. Anywho he saved her for me.

Hopefully she does well. She was very unhappy at the LFS because her tank had no sand and one flat rock. She dove into the sand as soon as I released her yesterday.

MVIMG_20191023_120850.jpg

MVIMG_20191023_120847.jpg

MVIMG_20191023_120840.jpg

8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Caught a pic of the Lubbock's hiding..

MVIMG_20191023_184627.jpg

Gorgeous additions. I love that Earmuff Wrasse not one that I have yet looked into

Gorgeous conditioning tank as well, I think i need to set one up rather than my current QT

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Gorgeous additions. I love that Earmuff Wrasse not one that I have yet looked into

Gorgeous conditioning tank as well, I think i need to set one up rather than my current QT

You should definitely give it a try. It's just a FOWLR and a little sand....some macro I tossed in and a weak light (old par30 I had). I leave it a bit dirty and it has a lot of microfauna for new fish to eat. I do a water change maybe once every few months... basically between fish. It is a good place for them to destress and I can overfeed since no corals and they can get fat!

I can treat it with prazi or general cure in foods. If the fish shows signs of serious illness I have a seeded sponge that I can set a hospital tank up on a whim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Tagging along for this one as well! Did you move over the other tanks also? 

Yeah they are all with me. The red sea macro tank will be plumbed and share sumps with this one and the others livestock will slowly move over into this tank.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah they are all with me. The red sea macro tank will be plumbed and share sumps with this one and the others livestock will slowly move over into this tank.

Dang! Hate to see the 22 go! I am also moving at the end of this month, I'm going to keep the 22, but I am setting up a tank that will allow me to keep some of my favorite larger fish.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Dang! Hate to see the 22 go! I am also moving at the end of this month, I'm going to keep the 22, but I am setting up a tank that will allow me to keep some of my favorite larger fish.

Ya I am kind of sad about it but my husband doesn't like that our apartment looks like a fish store and one larger tank is much easier to manage than multiple small ones and will allow me to explore trying some things like setting up a automatic frozen/cold fish food feeder and such. 

• Like 2