Jump to content
Tamberav

🌊 80g Shallow 🐠 - New Kitten!!

Recommended Posts

Spencer7

Really impressive/nice collection of fish. Kuiters ❤️  As far as corals, I'd like to see the green and orange colors mixed a bit more 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
On 4/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, Spencer7 said:

Really impressive/nice collection of fish. Kuiters ❤️  As far as corals, I'd like to see the green and orange colors mixed a bit more 🙂

I have some yellow and orange hammers and some red corals and a new pink one to help offset some of the green. They are just frags though. Should look nice when filled in.

 

 

 

Also my clownfish finally spawned !!

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have some yellow and orange hammers and some red corals and a new pink one to help offset some of the green. They are just frags though. Should look nice when filled in.

 

 

 

Also my clownfish finally spawned !!

 

 

That’s so cool!! I really do think my black ice clowns may have spawned and then lost the clutch quickly. She certainly got fat for a while. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer

How you doing lately by the way? Still busy busy with work?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That’s so cool!! I really do think my black ice clowns may have spawned and then lost the clutch quickly. She certainly got fat for a while. 

Thanks! I was like.... well FINALLY! So happy. I ordered the clownfish breeding book. Maybe give a try raising them if they have more clutches. 

 

2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

How you doing lately by the way? Still busy busy with work?

Yeah pretty busy. They will be opening up stuff here soon so we might get a surge. I took some extra PTO in June and July for no reason but to sit at home and do whatever I want... I need some mental health days! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I have some yellow and orange hammers and some red corals and a new pink one to help offset some of the green. They are just frags though. Should look nice when filled in.

 

 

 

Also my clownfish finally spawned !!

 

 

That is amazing! 😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

Day 1

MVIMG_20200502_013839.thumb.jpg.cac159a519218f4da00790788635603e.jpg

 

Day 6 - eyeballs! 👀 My guess is they hatch tonight and become fish/coral food. 😮

 

MVIMG_20200507_182748.thumb.jpg.c21866314137d94aec6eee85baf48dd0.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Day 1

MVIMG_20200502_013839.thumb.jpg.cac159a519218f4da00790788635603e.jpg

 

Day 6 - eyeballs! 👀 My guess is they hatch tonight and become fish/coral food. 😮

 

MVIMG_20200507_182748.thumb.jpg.c21866314137d94aec6eee85baf48dd0.jpg

Aw, I love the little eye balls. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

Late night munchies..

 

MVIMG_20200514_040742.thumb.jpg.eb828b6603b79f68f8491c90876f4258.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

Naughty little thing... at least he carefully went around the auto feeder instead of dumping it.

 

MVIMG_20200525_143953.thumb.jpg.6c5ff28451ae883b8888e400e7231025.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 3

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer
15 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Naughty little thing... at least he carefully went around the auto feeder instead of dumping it.

 

MVIMG_20200525_143953.thumb.jpg.6c5ff28451ae883b8888e400e7231025.jpg

Wow thank god those ClearViewLids are strongly made!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

I always forget to take before pics but had bryopsis trying to take over the tank. I tried spot treating but was impossible to get it all. I had used reef flux in my nano but it returned 6-8? months later in this tank on the same spots.... probably alive in the dark holes in the rock. I did not want to use it again with the more sensitive wrasses.

 

Here is a pic I found of my fish and you can see it to the right of the pic.

 

MVIMG_20200710_190926.thumb.jpg.8d3a1ff8bfa3e2de26652e6ec3957842.jpg

 

I decided enough is enough and I needed to get a handle on it before it spread. I cut off all my SPS staying goodbye to their encrusted bases (except for one colony)... Manually pulled off as much as I could then poured 3 percent peroxide over the problem areas and then put it in a bucket with tank water and a whole lot of peroxide for 10 min.

 

I accidentally dropped my Hawkins and it looks like a chop shop now as it broke into about 6 pieces.

 

Bottom of rock exposed trying to save some sponges. The pink and yellow is all sponge.

 

MVIMG_20200713_212426.thumb.jpg.b14d4223d30ec23a4d2f141470e1bd73.jpg

 

A colony just hanging out right above a peroxide pit of death.

 

MVIMG_20200713_220109.thumb.jpg.8761076ad145546d7baaba5b1dcbfe06.jpg

 

 

When I rinsed and put it back...all the snails and crabs heard the dinner bell. They love peroxide dipped algae. A bunch of coralline died too but should be worth it in the end.

 

I woke up and everything looks okay. No STN or RTN. 

 

Worth noting is I accidentally left this Monti out overnight for 12 hours on the counter and the edges died off and it browned out but it looks like it will make a full recovery.

 

Corals can die for what seems no reason and others seem to survive better and my kitchen counter 🤪

 

IMG_20200710_182009.thumb.jpg.bb78502b9c5bfe8974594ae21610be4f.jpg

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
On 5/25/2020 at 1:08 PM, Tamberav said:

Naughty little thing... at least he carefully went around the auto feeder instead of dumping it.

 

MVIMG_20200525_143953.thumb.jpg.6c5ff28451ae883b8888e400e7231025.jpg

Sick cat. What light is that? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ECLS Reefer
43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I always forget to take before pics but had bryopsis trying to take over the tank. I tried spot treating but was impossible to get it all. I had used reef flux in my nano but it returned 6-8? months later in this tank on the same spots.... probably alive in the dark holes in the rock. I did not want to use it again with the more sensitive wrasses.

 

Here is a pic I found of my fish and you can see it to the right of the pic.

 

MVIMG_20200710_190926.thumb.jpg.8d3a1ff8bfa3e2de26652e6ec3957842.jpg

 

I decided enough is enough and I needed to get a handle on it before it spread. I cut off all my SPS staying goodbye to their encrusted bases (except for one colony)... Manually pulled off as much as I could then poured 3 percent peroxide over the problem areas and then put it in a bucket with tank water and a whole lot of peroxide for 10 min.

 

I accidentally dropped my Hawkins and it looks like a chop shop now as it broke into about 6 pieces.

 

Bottom of rock exposed trying to save some sponges. The pink and yellow is all sponge.

 

MVIMG_20200713_212426.thumb.jpg.b14d4223d30ec23a4d2f141470e1bd73.jpg

 

A colony just hanging out right above a peroxide pit of death.

 

MVIMG_20200713_220109.thumb.jpg.8761076ad145546d7baaba5b1dcbfe06.jpg

 

 

When I rinsed and put it back...all the snails and crabs heard the dinner bell. They love peroxide dipped algae. A bunch of coralline died too but should be worth it in the end.

 

I woke up and everything looks okay. No STN or RTN. 

 

Worth noting is I accidentally left this Monti out overnight for 12 hours on the counter and the edges died off and it browned out but it looks like it will make a full recovery.

 

Corals can die for what seems no reason and others seem to survive better and my kitchen counter 🤪

 

IMG_20200710_182009.thumb.jpg.bb78502b9c5bfe8974594ae21610be4f.jpg

 

Yeah I’m struggling with that- it’s like a lottery choice on which SPS chooses to live or die. Just lost a new frag for no obvious reason other than maybe the wind changed direction. 😡

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
58 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Sick cat. What light is that? 

It is a old coralvue fixture with 4 nanobox pucks in it 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
On 7/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, Tamberav said:

IMG_20200710_182009.thumb.jpg.bb78502b9c5bfe8974594ae21610be4f.jpg

 

 

Remember this guy? I cut off all the dead parts around the edge and tossed it in my 25g to recover. Looking happy again! 

 

Still hard to believe it sat 12 hours on the table and recovered.

 

MVIMG_20200816_235840.thumb.jpg.5579743d0f50ff40d7ee6d9272ad6e0e.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

It So not good....the central broke in our apt on Thursday and I am losing the SPS. I told our landlord and he called the AC guy but he hasn't been out yet.

 

This was my long week so I worked 12 hours every day and couldn't really do anything about is as I am not home.

 

My husband said the thermostat read 89 on the house yesterday. The evaporation has been crazy and and my ATO went dry super fast and the pump was almost dry last night when I got home but I had a small amount of spare water to top it off before bed. 

 

Today is my first day off...I am going to try and frag and move some SPS upstairs into the 25g where I set up a portable AC in the window.

 

I also leaving town tomorrow for a week so basically this is really awful timing. My hubby also has 12 hour intern shifts 6 days a week ALL months so all be can do is feed the fish once a day for me.

 

  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

Landlord just called, AC guy is supposed to come out today. I am hoping this gets fixed today before I leave town and we are not waiting days on a part or something. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
TerraIncognita
36 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

It So not good....the central broke in our apt on Thursday and I am losing the SPS. I told our landlord and he called the AC guy but he hasn't been out yet.

 

This was my long week so I worked 12 hours every day and couldn't really do anything about is as I am not home.

 

My husband said the thermostat read 89 on the house yesterday. The evaporation has been crazy and and my ATO went dry super fast and the pump was almost dry last night when I got home but I had a small amount of spare water to top it off before bed. 

 

Today is my first day off...I am going to try and frag and move some SPS upstairs into the 25g where I set up a portable AC in the window.

 

I also leaving town tomorrow for a week so basically this is really awful timing. My hubby also has 12 hour intern shifts 6 days a week ALL months so all be can do is feed the fish once a day for me.

 

sorry for the catastrophe 😞 we had heat waves in CA and my thermo with the AC got up to 83.

I didn't catch a good FTS in the last page or 2, but if you dont have any yet these little fans with a Controller do miracles.

They kept my tanks at 78-79 with no problem, Took about 1 hour to get it down from 82 to 78.

I did have to trim the plug that went into the outlet as they made the space on the controller to small in-between,

 

But you could probably find a better controller or better fans. Your LFS might have a controller in shop, I even ran a desktop clip fan at first, it looked kinda ugly, but it got the job done.

 

 

https://www.amazon.com/DaToo-Aquarium-Chiller-Cooling-Warranty/dp/B085LM313D/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium+fan&qid=1598379988&sr=8-6

 

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Greenhouse/dp/B07PZNGVMX/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=inkbird&qid=1598379938&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUVJEWFROU0JSMlpNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzQyMTc3MjVNQ0lKRk5KODQ4TCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDI2MjQ2MldDRDI3MUVIS1Q3ViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

I have an apex but the tank is pretty big and a box fan is probably what it needs. I thought about trying to go find one but honestly I didn't have time to fill the ATO as it ran out twice as fast even without a fan since I wasn't home for 13-14 hours each day. So I just left it, otherwise I would have had to shut off the sump and I don't have time to 100% change the sump water before I turn it back on because I am leaving town. 

 

I was like... ok what can I do... ok not much because I am pretty much not here this week and 100% out of town next week. The timing of these things is always terrible.

 

I have a crap ton of surface agitation so the water was evaporating FAST but the tank is in a pretty much a hotbox and the struggle is real. 

 

My husbands tire went to crap this week too so I am off to go get two new tires before I start moving the corals today and refilling all the ATO's before I leave town. 

 

I shut down my doser entirely right now. With the SPS fading the alk creeped up all week from 7's to 9's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
TerraIncognita
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

 The timing of these things is always terrible.

Never words spoken more true.

 

Try to grab a multi fan like this, those big fans are just so ugly. :(.

 

https://www.amazon.com/QOONESTL-Aquarium-Cooling-Chillers-Different/dp/B08CRV9C3W/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium+fan&qid=1598379988&sr=8-11

 

4 in 1 might do the trick. I have just 2 like this on my 45G no problem. While no time for it now, when you plan for the disasters, they never happen I've found in this hobby.

 

eitherway, I wish you the best of luck :(.

 

One of my friends used to grab ice cubes in a ziplock bag and throw in in the sump when it would get super hot (he had no AC at all) another possible instant solution, at least to get it out of scary temperatures if it arises.

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
1 hour ago, TerraIncognita said:

Never words spoken more true.

 

Try to grab a multi fan like this, those big fans are just so ugly. :(.

 

https://www.amazon.com/QOONESTL-Aquarium-Cooling-Chillers-Different/dp/B08CRV9C3W/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium+fan&qid=1598379988&sr=8-11

 

4 in 1 might do the trick. I have just 2 like this on my 45G no problem. While no time for it now, when you plan for the disasters, they never happen I've found in this hobby.

 

eitherway, I wish you the best of luck :(.

 

One of my friends used to grab ice cubes in a ziplock bag and throw in in the sump when it would get super hot (he had no AC at all) another possible instant solution, at least to get it out of scary temperatures if it arises.

I would just stick a box fan over the sump so it's not visible. I don't have enough ice cubes to help for this tank since it's 80 gallons + sump. 

 

I more or less decided to let the heat go avoid letting the pump go dry. 

 

I was giving intense chemotherapy this week to a patient and really needed my sleep. I thought about calling in but it's really unfair to dump my pts on another nurse when the hospital is running very short staffed right now. Was sort of a pick your battle situation for me.

 

Tires getting fixed right now ..but a LFS is next door so kill time....wolf eel says hi

 

MVIMG_20200825_143134.thumb.jpg.170ff02dc1c874cf5feecaf2b2f7faea.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
TerraIncognita
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

I would just stick a box fan over the sump so it's not visible.

Also viable.

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

I don't have enough ice cubes to help for this tank since it's 80 gallons + sump.

I don't think you'd need that much to just drop it 4-5 degrees. Maybe a half gallon? you could try to buy it at a 711 or otherwise, actually even better. Send your husband to get it! 😛

 

Understood on the Chemo. I'm a Medical sales Rep myself. As much as you love your fish, really people's lives always come first.

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav
50 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

Also viable.

I don't think you'd need that much to just drop it 4-5 degrees. Maybe a half gallon? you could try to buy it at a 711 or otherwise, actually even better. Send your husband to get it! 😛

 

Understood on the Chemo. I'm a Medical sales Rep myself. As much as you love your fish, really people's lives always come first.

Husband isn't around either. Hes in 4th year medical college and busy.

 

This all started last Thursday so what's done is done. I wasn't going to get up early to go to the store which isn't super close...I already only get 6 hours. I honestly chose my job over my SPS. Will try and salvage now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It So not good....the central broke in our apt on Thursday and I am losing the SPS. I told our landlord and he called the AC guy but he hasn't been out yet.

 

This was my long week so I worked 12 hours every day and couldn't really do anything about is as I am not home.

 

My husband said the thermostat read 89 on the house yesterday. The evaporation has been crazy and and my ATO went dry super fast and the pump was almost dry last night when I got home but I had a small amount of spare water to top it off before bed. 

 

Today is my first day off...I am going to try and frag and move some SPS upstairs into the 25g where I set up a portable AC in the window.

 

I also leaving town tomorrow for a week so basically this is really awful timing. My hubby also has 12 hour intern shifts 6 days a week ALL months so all be can do is feed the fish once a day for me.

 

Ugh, that sucks.  Hopefully you can save some things with the fragging. 🤞🏻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...