Top Shelf Aquatics

🌊 80g Shallow 🐠 - Plus cats!

Tamberav

36 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Ugh, that sucks.  Hopefully you can save some things with the fragging. 🤞🏻

Thanks! I think what bugs me the most is I am leaving town tomorrow and AC broke, tire went flat, tank is stressed out and I haven't even packed yet or portioned out food for my husband to feed. I also need to get the tanks topped off and water changes done but spent all day trying to get everything else fixed. I had to call around a bunch to find a place with the tires in stock and able to swap them today. I can't leave town if my husband doesn't have a car. 

I am supposed to go to dog agility class tonight but I am probably going to have to skip. What I need is a few clones of myself 😛 

• Like 1

Tank is looking bald in the middle as I am pulling out the SPS...about half out atm..

Unfortunately he can't fix it today as the whole thing needs to be replaced...my landlord said he would get a new one ASAP. That can't be cheap.

My pico suffered a little but I think will recover as I was able to get the AC going up there after I noticed the SPS was pissed. They were only getting cooked maybe two days and they look much better.

BTW multiple tanks + heat = sauna

Here are pics of the carnage..

MVIMG_20200825_182118.thumb.jpg.dcb8a5d2efc02ea5dccd266729e57f66.jpg

MVIMG_20200825_182121.thumb.jpg.6aaab69a471d6eb815d88202e2b429bc.jpg

MVIMG_20200825_182126.thumb.jpg.49b95c0a75565c0a14688bfbe873b04b.jpg

MVIMG_20200825_182102.thumb.jpg.a1a09cf8a0ac5bff6f1f515367ee7b51.jpg

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck. I’m always scared of my ac crapping out here in Phoenix it wouldn’t take long for my tanks to hit 90+ in the summer.

i always have frozen bottles of water in my freezer I can just toss one in the tank if needed. Then swap out for another when it warms up. 

• Like 2

Been out of town since Weds...will head back tomorrow but then back to work Monday. Hubby said I missed out on the hottest day in the house in the 90's. Will see if there's any further damage when I get home.

Still no new AC 😞

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1

Just got home, lost some acro's but all fish accounted for. The BTA trying to take a walk for 1st time in years, its pissy about the heat I am sure. 

• Like 5

New AC got put in yesterday... yay!

I lost a bunch of acro's... my 5g fared the best and the acro frags in there are still alive thanks to the window AC upstairs!

Since I might move this summer, I am just going to do some LPS/Softies to fill in the area the SPS were at... but I will keep the nano going with SPS. 

Mostly just glad no fish losses... I am more attached them them with coral being decoration. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Looking back at the temp for some of the days 😒 Tank normally runs 78...looks like it peaked at 90. Lots of dead acropora and some birds and montipora but amazingly.. most everything else lived. 

image.thumb.png.f8e07fc668ed07cd850f993f030dce56.png

• Like 2

Some LPS are receded and I might lose them... Big bare spot where the SPS was. I do have stuff I fragged to add back at some point.

I added a longnose butterfly, pencil wrasse and a Sailfin Tang that have been hanging out in my QT for the past 4 weeks. The potters angel was being a jerk...the sailfin and butterfly did a great job telling him to F-off. It all seemed to calm down pretty quick though.

I found a 6 bulb sunpower for cheap so I am using that now as I had too much shadowing on the ends. I plan to add Orphek bars or such.

Messy FTS... probably try and do a waterchange tonight and start this recovery process. 

MVIMG_20200911_195312.thumb.jpg.ab4ce6f8222d1c75a528d34295afbafb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pics of some of the losses from the 90 degree heat. Recession on torch and plate coral...guessing plate won't make it. 

MVIMG_20200912_145009.thumb.jpg.de82ef224001a2aeca8041c82162fc46.jpg

MVIMG_20200912_145050.thumb.jpg.88f00f9ae2ca34d9b01d481c79b4940c.jpg

Bleached or recession on feak hair lepto

MVIMG_20200912_145106.thumb.jpg.89ca410e379cbcfd06b8be79ed56588a.jpg

Bleached birdsnest

MVIMG_20200912_150606.thumb.jpg.9c1480926f76f01d0f8e5257871b7006.jpg

Dead neon yellow Monti or maybe the brown is some living tissue...I left it to see if it comes back as it was an expensive peace.

MVIMG_20200912_150044.thumb.jpg.ce889325d1d8e637d8c058d982301fa1.jpg

Some dead SPS...the cliffs I fragged the tips off trying to stop the RTN without success but I do have living frags of it. The other was a purple rim green Monti.

MVIMG_20200912_150756.thumb.jpg.0c82ca79eb4e85c494b06f6757c179cb.jpg

Tossed out lots of dead SPS...lemonade...torts...Hawkins.. millis and so on.

Video update of what is left. Time to rebuild!

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
  • Wow 1

Tragic to hear about the heat-related losses, as this was (and still is, honestly!) imo one of the most vibrant and beautiful reefs here on N-R. I faced a similar situation last week as a massive heat wave crushed us here in Los Angeles, so I understand very well how stressful it is to just sit around and watch your tank suffer, knowing full well there's not much you can do other than hope that everything pulls through. 😥

Seems like you're staying pretty upbeat about it though, which is great! I'm sure that in a few months the tank will be looking better than ever. 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 9/13/2020 at 8:29 AM, billygoat said:

Tragic to hear about the heat-related losses, as this was (and still is, honestly!) imo one of the most vibrant and beautiful reefs here on N-R. I faced a similar situation last week as a massive heat wave crushed us here in Los Angeles, so I understand very well how stressful it is to just sit around and watch your tank suffer, knowing full well there's not much you can do other than hope that everything pulls through. 😥

Seems like you're staying pretty upbeat about it though, which is great! I'm sure that in a few months the tank will be looking better than ever. 😁

Thanks so much for the kind words. We need a 😍 reaction. I am trying to stay positive and think about what corals I want to replace with. People are losing their tanks and homes from the fires out west and people have to deal with hurricanes and so forth. It is very sad. 

• Like 3

Oh, that little baby tang! So cute! Too bad they don't stay little. 

It does still look really nice. Too bad about the losses, but at least a decent amount of stuff seems to be doing okay. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Tamberav said:

New kitten came home this weekend! 

IMG_20200928_200112_648.thumb.jpg.75904f7086d5ffc338ab352996483e07.jpg

PXL_20200929_004920686_MP.thumb.jpg.1232719f70a1c1ae96d7d66983fe4a6e.jpg

PXL_20200929_004729979_MP.thumb.jpg.e85c02453870f7d8f1a08b61b82bc4ec.jpg

IMG_20200927_160103_584.thumb.jpg.2286757f3615886df8ccf96d509aca44.jpg

Girl I can’t get enough of his pictures he is FABULOUS! Where do you get these little guys?

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Girl I can’t get enough of his pictures he is FABULOUS! Where do you get these little guys?

I have two from a breeder called Summit Bengals and one from Painted Cats. This guy is from Summit.

There are also some rescues for bengals. In the past I had one from there years ago (been keeping Bengals a long time). 

• Like 4

Aw, baby! Look at the little longbeast, discovering the cat TV. Just make sure to keep an eye out for kitty when the lid is off. One of our cats fell in my 65gal freshwater tank once, because he tried to jump onto the lid and the lid wasn't there. I had to chase him down and towel him off, because it was winter and I was afraid he would get too cold. Not particularly fun for anyone involved. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Tired said:

Aw, baby! Look at the little longbeast, discovering the cat TV. Just make sure to keep an eye out for kitty when the lid is off. One of our cats fell in my 65gal freshwater tank once, because he tried to jump onto the lid and the lid wasn't there. I had to chase him down and towel him off, because it was winter and I was afraid he would get too cold. Not particularly fun for anyone involved. 

Ha! I never take the lids off anymore as the wraases are pinging off the netting all the time.

I am going to tape all the lids down before I go to work tomorrow though.

He found my ATO container and been digging his paws in it lol 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

We are working hard to learn fetch!!

The markings on his coat are drop dead gorgeous! I love the fact that he keeps bringing the 'fish' back to you. I actually have to chase my dog down to get the toy away from her, so that I can throw it and have her run after it. Sometimes I wonder *who exactly is 'fetching' in my household. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Video update as I finally scraped the glass! Radiant doesn't seem to be getting bullied anymore. @Humblefish Do you think there is any left over swim bladder issue? He seems to be doing pretty good but still pointing down a lot.

Lights just came on and everyone is hungry!!

Remaining SPS are recovering nicely and slowly coloring up even though they look like poo in the video. I will need to add a few more. A few survivors are just nubs now... have to grow them out all over again... and I am not too good at that lol

• Like 4
  • Wow 1