ReefCleaners.org

🌊 80g Shallow 🐠 - Plus cats!

Tamberav

67D9E5BB-55AC-4BAC-A3FC-38B967CF56A6.thumb.jpeg.7137f4004af624713571881be95c090e.jpeg

Moving into a bigger apartment so naturally I need a bigger tank :ninja:

Fish:

Picasso Percula pair

Springers Damsel

Earmuff Wrasse

Bluestar Leopard Wrasse

Kuiter's Leopard Wrasse

China Wrasse

Radiant wrasse x 2

Yellow Tang

Copperband Butterfly

Pictus Blenny

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Oh you....my apt is still an apt...not a mansion!

I ordered an 80g Shallow... I could fit a 120 but not a huge fan of deep tanks...want that nano reef feel where everything is easy to reach and prune.

LFS had MDF stands and that was a hard no from me....so I picked up this custom stand someone had for sale.... probably hit up Ikea to see what I can skin it with 🤔

MVIMG_20190907_190031.thumb.jpg.2c757ad4efee367b42e136341f5ca6af.jpg

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Oh you....my apt is still an apt...not a mansion!

I ordered an 80g Shallow... I could fit a 120 but not a huge fan of deep tanks...want that nano reef feel where everything is easy to reach and prune.

LFS had MDF stands and that was a hard no from me....so I picked up this custom stand someone had for sale.... probably hit up Ikea to see what I can skin it with 🤔

MVIMG_20190907_190031.thumb.jpg.2c757ad4efee367b42e136341f5ca6af.jpg

thought that was a u-haul truck for a minute there....JUMBO STAND!!!  -- >> then realized it's just their mini trailer thingy.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, xM3THODx said:

Can't go wrong with steel stand and it probably weighs way less than a MDF stand.

Would be hard for me to sleep with a large tank on a cardboard stand :scarry: This stand is powder coated too 👍 LFS wanted 225 for MDF stand....this one set me back 75 bucks. I would love to build my own but no decent tools since I live in an apartment.

It was easy to move which is a blessing!

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

thought that was a u-haul truck for a minute there....JUMBO STAND!!!  -- >> then realized it's just their mini trailer thingy.  

Flip then stand sideways to fit a larger tank 😉

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Exciting! Love new tank builds - and love shallow tanks!

What tank brand did you go with? 

Seapora rimless 48x24x16. I really like the IM lagoon I have so trying for a bigger lagoon type feel.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Making some progress... finally fully moved out of my old apartment.

Bought a 40 breeder at Petco for my sump as they have the sale going and picked up the 80g. Also grabbed some birch plywood for the top and bottom of the stand and a rubber mat to protect the flooring for under the tank.

Should get some time this weekend to start piecing it together.

• Like 2
On 9/30/2019 at 10:24 PM, Tamberav said:

Picked up a plate and a torch at Aquashella. The art was my favorite part.

MVIMG_20190928_120851

MVIMG_20190928_121838

MVIMG_20190928_123041

MVIMG_20190928_120022

MVIMG_20190928_135131

MVIMG_20190928_111817

MVIMG_20190928_110232

MVIMG_20190928_105400_1

sweet fresh water rays.................I have a local guy who breeds them........he has a few females that are almost 2 feet across........

like the steel stand its the only way to go......:wink:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 9/11/2019 at 12:33 PM, Tamberav said:

Seapora rimless 48x24x16. I really like the IM lagoon I have so trying for a bigger lagoon type feel.

always like that 80G lagoon dimension.  One of the non-defunct LFS had a bunch for their frags, instead of the generic tubs.  

On 10/1/2019 at 1:24 AM, Tamberav said:

MVIMG_20190928_121838

MVIMG_20190928_105400_1

That UNS tank, just WOW!  If I don't buy a Red Sea Reefer or WaterBox in the future, I'd probably customize a UNS 120S - very similar to your Seapora.

Were those guys just dancing to the baby shark tunes the whole time or what?

• Like 3
14 hours ago, spectra said:

sweet fresh water rays.................I have a local guy who breeds them........he has a few females that are almost 2 feet across........

like the steel stand its the only way to go......:wink:

Ya, they were beautiful rays!

I wanted something sturdy... I just can't couldn't bring myself to pay $250 for MDF. when someone had this steel stand listed for $75. The steel stand is taller as well for viewing. 

Skinning will be difficult since I live in an apartment without anything but crude caveman tools. I will probably have the tank up and running long before the skin is done. My parents have tools but they are 8 hours away and I will be visiting them for x-mas so hopefully can get some stuff cut then. So this will be a bit janky for awhile. 

14 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

always like that 80G lagoon dimension.  One of the non-defunct LFS had a bunch for their frags, instead of the generic tubs.  

That UNS tank, just WOW!  If I don't buy a Red Sea Reefer or WaterBox in the future, I'd probably customize a UNS 120S - very similar to your Seapora.

Were those guys just dancing to the baby shark tunes the whole time or what?

I love UNS! The 120S is definitely a beautiful tank and I wish I could afford it! Perhaps when I move in 2 years I can get one of those at the new place to swap out this Seapora. I do feel UNS is better than red sea or waterbox. Drilling it would make me sweat bullets for sure though. I wish some came pre-drilled... I believe that tank would be 1k or more after shipping. Not something I would want to screw up drilling. 

13 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I can see it's passed the kitty inspection. 😉 

They think it is a jungle gym for them!

• Like 2

Welp making progress on my days off work. Mostly painting... All colors but black for the background got vetoed by the hubby. Black will hide the pumps though. I prefer no paint but that won't work with the way I will hang my lights.

Don't mind my mess... I have spent most of my free time working and planning on this tank instead of unpacking 😅

I pick up glass for the baffles of my sump tomorrow.

MVIMG_20191007_231737

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Got the sump done but it was a nightmare... I ran out of silicone...no big deal...ran to Lowe's only for my car not go start so I had to get a tow and it took forever for the guy to come... So finally got it moved at 11pm and I had went to Lowe's at 8:40pm. Hoping it's not a huge bill.. as I was planning to go to Reef Palooza.

I work the next two days so need to figure out something for that too. Wasn't my favorite way to spend my day off 😩

MVIMG_20191009_002730

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
On 10/7/2019 at 11:27 PM, Tamberav said:

Welp making progress on my days off work. Mostly painting... All colors but black for the background got vetoed by the hubby. Black will hide the pumps though. I prefer no paint but that won't work with the way I will hang my lights.

Don't mind my mess... I have spent most of my free time working and planning on this tank instead of unpacking 😅

I pick up glass for the baffles of my sump tomorrow.

MVIMG_20191007_231737

What a pretty dog! Is he an Aussie/Border mix?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Got the sump done but it was a nightmare... I ran out of silicone...no big deal...ran to Lowe's only for my car not go start so I had to get a tow and it took forever for the guy to come... So finally got it moved at 11pm and I had went to Lowe's at 8:40pm. Hoping it's not a huge bill.. as I was planning to go to Reef Palooza.

I work the next two days so need to figure out something for that too. Wasn't my favorite way to spend my day off 😩

MVIMG_20191009_002730

Oh geez...I hate it when things go that way.

From this distance your silicone job looks pretty clean! I would have that stuff all over every surface! How did you decide how close to place the baffles together? (I mean the ones right next to each other.) I wish mine were more narrow like yours.

• Like 2