Cultivated Reef

? on anemones

sadie

I have a 16 gal biocube with 2 pajama cardinals and was wondering if there were any types of anemones I could put in there (rock, flower, carpet).  I only have a few small coral right (GSP and 2 small leathers) but hoping to get some LPS soon.

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

You can also get a bubble tip, those do well in small aquariums

I tried two bubble tips in my Biocube 16 with stock lights, at different times... they didn’t seem very happy in there and I had to move them to my other nano tank which has an AI Prime. I think the light wasn’t strong enough... though it’s possible it was something else going on in there making them unhappy... it is a high nutrient tank. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, sadie said:

will they float around my tank till they find a place they like?  My mushrooms use to do that.  Or will they stay where I put them?  (I don;t usually glue anything down)

Almost any anemone will move if it wants too. Never glue down the foot, you could hurt the foot of the anemone if you do that. They move for a reason, bc they don’t like the spot and want a better spot, so they can thrive.

2 minutes ago, sadie said:

will they float around my tank till they find a place they like?  My mushrooms use to do that.  Or will they stay where I put them?  (I don;t usually glue anything down)

If you get a bta you have to put a cover on your powerhead so they don’t get sucked in. 

I was going to ask you if the lighting in your 16 was stock, because mine is.  The only thing I ever upgrade is the pump,  I like the rock better then the bubble, but the bubble are cute too.  I hate when you go to the LFS with somthing in mind, and they don;t have it, but have something else and you didn't do the research so your just not sure.  I don't have a smart phone so I can't look it up there and I NEVER trust the store ppl

• Like 1

Also, my tank is established but really clean amonia, trates and trites are all 0.  This use to be a good thing (back when I started 20 yrs ago)  but now I hear it's a bad thing.  I am not confident dosing to raise my (I think it's the trates you want around 2).  so will they be okay with all 0's?  I just got 2 fish and feed 2x a day so maybe it will raise on it's own?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sadie said:

Also, my tank is established but really clean amonia, trates and trites are all 0.  This use to be a good thing (back when I started 20 yrs ago)  but now I hear it's a bad thing.  I am not confident dosing to raise my (I think it's the trates you want around 2).  so will they be okay with all 0's?  I just got 2 fish and feed 2x a day so maybe it will raise on it's own?

In my opinion, I think your nutrients will raise on their own as you are stocking and starting to feed, I would just monitor the nitrates and how your tank/livestock are doing.

But... my worry is that everything is zero... have you ever had any nitrates in this tank? How new is it, I forget? Are we sure it’s actually cycled? 

It cycled like 20 yrs ago (LR and LS)  In those 20 yrs I have added a few pieces of new LR, replaced some sand and I'm on like my 4th tank.  So I have no idea how old it actually is considered, but I do know it has cycled.

I have rfa's and 3 bta's in a 20g.

The bta's have been easier than the rfa's. For some reason my rfa's are always scrunched up in any lighting/flow. They have moved more than the bta's.

It's so funny how every tank is unique and every critter is so unique.  I started in the hobby 20 yrs ago.  My tank has been running the whole time, but from time to time it had set backs and was simply maintained.  I wanted to get it beautiful again and thought I would just go back to everything I did before and it was an epic fail.  Just because my frog spawn in my old tank did great on top of my rocks doesn't mean my new frogspawn in a new tank will like it there.  The lighting and flow are all different, I also started dosing the nano A & B like I used to (but didn't have too because I didn't nearly have the load I had before).  Even to the placement of the tank (different house, different tank).

This has really been a learning experience.  I feel like a newbie.

Thanks for all the input.  I am hoping to go to the LFS tomorrow.  hopefully they will have some good stuff. I'm looking for some LSP and maybe an anemone.  I might call first since it is an hour drive.  I hate driving all that way then finding out don't have anything  I want.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sadie said:

It's so funny how every tank is unique and every critter is so unique.  I started in the hobby 20 yrs ago.  My tank has been running the whole time, but from time to time it had set backs and was simply maintained.  I wanted to get it beautiful again and thought I would just go back to everything I did before and it was an epic fail.  Just because my frog spawn in my old tank did great on top of my rocks doesn't mean my new frogspawn in a new tank will like it there.  The lighting and flow are all different, I also started dosing the nano A & B like I used to (but didn't have too because I didn't nearly have the load I had before).  Even to the placement of the tank (different house, different tank).

Thanks for all the input.  I am hoping to go to the LFS tomorrow.  hopefully they will have some good stuff. I'm looking for some LSP and maybe an anemone.  I might call first since it is an hour drive.  I hate driving all that way then finding out don't have anything  I want.

Oh definitely. 1 tank to another can have 1 issue that the other doesn't. Even corals. I have multiple tanks, what is doing fantastic in 1, is not happy in the other yet both tanks run the same. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
17 hours ago, sadie said:

Don’t worry, I was considered the trouble child of the forum a year ago. I was the newb of the forum. But after a while of finally listening to what people had to say and reading other people’s posts and journals, I don’t consider myself a newb anymore, but there is always gonna be new things to learn.

• Like 1