Cultivated Reef

Parameter question

5*Chris

I have a Lagoon 25. Ive been having trouble with my torch not really opening up. In the picture it's on the far side of the frag rack. Was thinking maybe it's water parameters, even though everything else looks great.

IMG_20190909_191319.thumb.jpg.291ca5b7542ce0b0958e1934ef915077.jpg

I use RS blue bucket and tested yesterday (last water change was 1 week ago.)

Sal-1.025

Temp-79°

Ammonia-0-Api

Nitrite-0-Api

Nitrate-10-Api

Alk-7-Api

Cal-300-Api

Mag-didn't have tester

Phos-.2-Seachem

Did a 3g water change today, and other than nitrate dropping to 5, phos to .1, and Cal-360, everything is the same. Got my Mag kit (Salifert) as well and tested at 1170. Does this seem right? I retested Cal and Alk twice and expiration dates 2022 on the kits, but hit same results.

Should I dose? I have Seachem Fusion 1&2. Not sure if some of my kits are inaccurate or if my salt is just lower than stated. Everything looks great, growth and extension, except the torch. It comes out maybe an inch in the morning for a couple hours. 

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance

One rule to live by in this hobby is if one coral isn't looking good or doing well, your water params check out and the other corals are doing fine, don't go making changes right away. Observe and think about what changed before it started looking worse. 

How long have you had the torch?

• Like 2

I've had the Torch about 2.5 months. First couple weeks, it was gorgeous, then started bleaching and coming out less. I thought it was too much light (RB black box 10" above water, sitting in same, front corner) at first and it started getting worse. Moved it up higher and it started coming out again for a couple weeks, then this past month just really hasn't done much. 

I try to leave it be, hoping it will get better, but it doesn't. Thought about maybe trying a different spot 🤷🏽‍♂️. Other than adding more corals, nothing has really changed

Yeah, it hurts to see. I've even thought about bringing it to a local LFS to see if it would do better in their tank. 

I used to spot feed mysis, and it would take it, but won't anymore. Even when it does come out a little bit, it only seems to be half. 

Do you think dipping would help at all? I thought to try that and maybe move it to another location. If that doesn't do any good then I might just take it to the LFS and see if they can save it. I was hoping my parameters were off, so at least I had something else to try, I just don't know where to go from here really.

• Like 1

At this point trying it in a different tank to save it might not be a bad idea. if there is tissue there's hope it'll survive. 

Since it's under the weather, dipping and adding more stress to it isn't a good idea. 

• Like 1

I've had the same issue with 1 torch in my lagoon. Everything else is happy and params are fine.

Don't change things for 1 coral because then you upset all the rest. 

Your alk is right on the border, does your newly mixed SW mix at 7 or is it dropping to 7?

Makes sense, thank you. 

I didn't test the SW after mixing, only tested the tank 2 hours after WC. Next week I'll test the water after I mix it. 

I really want a torch in my tank, but really nervous about spending so much money on another one. Torches are by far my favorite coral, so it sucks that I have one and it hates my tank lol. 

I moved it down to the sand and out of direct flow from my KPS, it's still getting flow from return nozzle. I'll let it stay there for the rest of the week, and if it doesn't get better, I'll bring it to my LFS. So my fingers are crossed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 5*Chris said:

Makes sense, thank you. 

I didn't test the SW after mixing, only tested the tank 2 hours after WC. Next week I'll test the water after I mix it. 

I really want a torch in my tank, but really nervous about spending so much money on another one. Torches are by far my favorite coral, so it sucks that I have one and it hates my tank lol. 

I moved it down to the sand and out of direct flow from my KPS, it's still getting flow from return nozzle. I'll let it stay there for the rest of the week, and if it doesn't get better, I'll bring it to my LFS. So my fingers are crossed.

I love them too and for some reason, in my lagoon they just are never happy. It really sucks! 

Test your newly mixed SW before your waterchange and then your tank. This will give you an idea of your target number for alk.

You can test alk every day or every few days to see the consumption rate.

It sometimes can be odd, my alk on day of water change is 8.4, next day 8.4, by the 4th day its 7.4

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2019 at 3:02 AM, mcarroll said:

How's your tank now?

For the most part seems to be doing great. The torch started looking better then out of nowhere decided to jump ship. And recently had 1 head of a hammer do the same but I think that was caused by a mixture of new light, more flow, and redoing the scape. 

• Like 1
On 9/10/2019 at 12:55 PM, Clown79 said:

Your alk is right on the border, does your newly mixed SW mix at 7 or is it dropping to 7?

Have you checked this yet? I believe Red Sea blue bucket mixes to 8.0 dkh and 420 cal. If this is the case it may be time to increase water changes, start Kalkwasser or 2part

11 hours ago, Gravity said:

Have you checked this yet? I believe Red Sea blue bucket mixes to 8.0 dkh and 420 cal. If this is the case it may be time to increase water changes, start Kalkwasser or 2part

Yes I checked and everything was on point. I did this week's WC in Monday, tested this morning and got...

7Kh

420CA

1320Mg

.05> phosphate

I do have Seachem Fusion 1&2 but have yet to use it. I wanted to read up more on dosing before using it. But any info or tips would be appreciated. 

31 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

Yes I checked and everything was on point. I did this week's WC in Monday, tested this morning and got...

7Kh

420CA

1320Mg

.05> phosphate

I do have Seachem Fusion 1&2 but have yet to use it. I wanted to read up more on dosing before using it. But any info or tips would be appreciated. 

What is the SG level?

Have you gone online to see the batch numbers for the parameters?

Do you stir or roll the bucket before using the salt?

23 hours ago, Clown79 said:

What is the SG level?

Have you gone online to see the batch numbers for the parameters?

Do you stir or roll the bucket before using the salt?

1.026 SG

I have not checked batch numbers nor have I stirred the salt. When I received the first bucket I think UPS workers was playing dodge ball with the box and the bucket was completely broken. So I kept what was left in the bag and trashed most of the rest. I do have a new bucket though so I'll check that and I'll be sure to roll and stir before use from now on. 

I downloaded a dosing calculator this morning after testing. The recommendation to get to 8Kh from 7 was 6.1ml for Fusion #2 and recommended 4ml of fusion #1. Half morning other half in the evening. I didn't want to dose the whole recommendation, so I just added 2ml of fusion #2 this morning and then 2ml of part 1 & 2 this evening(12hrs later). I waited an hour and retested. 

8/9Kh (API test kit, looked yellow and slight green at 8, definitely yellow at 9 drops)

440 CA

1350 Mg

Got the numbers I wanted but wondering if I raised them too quickly? I dosed less trying to avoid that. I will retest in the morning just to confirm and see if there are any changes. 

You don't need to test that often.

Do your waterchange, test after and test everyday for a week to determine where you start(target number) and how much is consumed every day.