Coral Vue Hydros

66 SCA Predator Reef build

ValerieR

I think I know why he's so jittery. I had been hoping she was larger than him. But now I'm pretty certain of it. I still haven't seen her out of the PVC tube, but based on her width within it, I'm pretty sure he won't be trying to mess with her. At a minimum, her eyes are way bigger. I can't tell if the rest is posturing or bulk. And yes, I've got a few Aptasia that I missed last time I zapped them. 

Ocean:

Screenshot_20201210-190106_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c6edb4fa105fc137aa831df628f554ed.jpg

Bruiser:

20201118_175813.thumb.jpg.107759c877bda0a53522358d9779d5ef.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

So pretty! I hope they work out in the same tank. And if they don't work out, I hope it's with a minimum of violence. 

Too bad mantises don't like to eat aiptasia. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, ValerieR said:

I think I know why he's so jittery. I had been hoping she was larger than him. But now I'm pretty certain of it. I still haven't seen her out of the PVC tube, but based on her width within it, I'm pretty sure he won't be trying to mess with her. At a minimum, her eyes are way bigger. I can't tell if the rest is posturing or bulk. And yes, I've got a few Aptasia that I missed last time I zapped them. 

Ocean:

Screenshot_20201210-190106_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c6edb4fa105fc137aa831df628f554ed.jpg

Bruiser:

20201118_175813.thumb.jpg.107759c877bda0a53522358d9779d5ef.jpg

Gorgeous! Will you attempt to try and breed them in the future? 

It's remarkable that they're both in the same tank together without any issues (for now). I think providing the burrows (PVC tubes) for cover really helped. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Gorgeous! Will you attempt to try and breed them in the future? 

It's remarkable that they're both in the same tank together without any issues (for now). I think providing the burrows (PVC tubes) for cover really helped. 

I agree. I'm considering adding one more tube because I am reading that the change burrows often, leaving homes for other sea creatures to take over in the wild. If they have a 3rd burrow, maybe partially buried, then when they get the itch, they can move. But the tank may not be big enough for that unless I do a rear facing burrow or something similar. It also might have to be in the middle of the tank, which I don't want. It's the only open space in the tank and the tubes are nearly as tall as my sandbed, so it might turn into an eyesore. 

I do hope they breed, even if it's just an exercise in futility. Captive mantis breeding isn't a "thing" currently because of the tiny size the fry(?) after they hatch, but hopefully if they breed I can remove my mechanical filtration around hatching time and get some stuck in my sump in the macro. It'd be awesome to have even a couple little ones make it. Especially since small ones are so hard to get, I'm sure I could sell them to my LFS. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ValerieR said:

I agree. I'm considering adding one more tube because I am reading that the change burrows often, leaving homes for other sea creatures to take over in the wild. If they have a 3rd burrow, maybe partially buried, then when they get the itch, they can move. But the tank may not be big enough for that unless I do a rear facing burrow or something similar. 

I do hope they breed, even if it's just an exercise in futility. Captive mantis breeding isn't a "thing" currently because of the tiny size the fry(?) after they hatch, but hopefully if they breed I can remove my mechanical filtration around hatching time and get some stuck in my sump in the macro. It'd be awesome to have even a couple little ones make it. Especially since small ones are so hard to get, I'm sure I could sell them to my LFS. 

I wish you best of luck & success in this, Valerie - do keep us updated!  🙂 

Ocean has been struggling with the Aptasia by her burrow entrance. I think it has been stinging her antennae as she peeks out, making her think it's dangerous out. I took my 2' long metal needle extension and my Aptasia X and got to work. Took out everything I could find, including a few in the sump. We'll see if she's more curious now. 

• Like 1

Now that the Aptasia is gone, Ocean has been peeking out more. I fed both her and Bruiser a silverside, and she stuck out of her burrow quite a little while to eat and people watch. I got a good view of her and realized not only are her smashers damaged, but one of her smasher arms is fully missing just past the main joint, and the other is fully missing the end part. She's not only fully defenseless, she isn't able to eat any foods that are provided in a shell, like snails and crabs. Who knows how long she's been injured this way, but now that she's feeling safer, she's been totally ravenous. Last night she fully came out of her burrow for the first time, and she also started rearranging the rubble I put there for her.

20201214_202736.thumb.jpg.d7619b427a86db684d9ddee04f27df09.jpg

20201214_200502.thumb.jpg.1bcd85726a914ccf34b3dedaecbeb4fb.jpg

She is, thank goodness, quite a bit larger than Bruiser. He's terrified of her, which is a good balance to have... for the moment. She should, at a minimum, start to grow back her bashers when she molts next. I'm not sure if she will fully regrow them in one go. 

I added turbo snails on Friday, the biggest I could find, and they've been happily going to town. Other than a small chip so far, they are still doing well. I got some hermit crabs too (as a distraction from the snails), and as expected, they didn't last 2 days. The algae is slowly getting under control, the corals are mostly doing well, and I'm starting to feel good about the tank again. Still have plenty to iron out with it, but it's something to look forward to. 

Here's a pic blast of the major corals.

20201214_164605.thumb.jpg.ebe0ab58ee872a6073bbda59768b0393.jpg

20201214_170152.thumb.jpg.cd727777668adc7f59f2f7fe7a09be44.jpg

20201214_170225.thumb.jpg.fc4110ca15e7ffdb22c9ea48c89ee125.jpg

20201214_170330.thumb.jpg.70394c499d970b4ed24cacc21a338bcb.jpg

20201214_170217.thumb.jpg.813719de145b8167e9c795b740957076.jpg

20201214_170405.thumb.jpg.bddf6b20a42de03f7c083b7eb29ee697.jpg

• Like 1

In case anyone is curious how to gender a Peacock Mantis.

This is Bruiser. He is a boy. Those rods would complete the package hand-off for him. 

20201215_180415.thumb.jpg.146a1b5c0eb2c8446944b70716704bcb.jpg

Ocean has an ovipositor on her abdomen instead, which looks like a very small outie bellybutton that is a lighter color. 

Huh, mantis shrimp are easier to sex than I would have thought. 

It's too bad you can't reinforce the snails with something. I don't think covering one in putty would be a good idea, at least. 

• Haha 2

The smallest turbo is gone. The 2 big ones are still there eating away and providing a valuable service. The smaller one is getting pretty beat up/chipped around the edges, but the biggest is doing fine. 

Ocean got BOLD and stole Bruiser's burrow when he was out exploring. She's got a hell of a bluff charge, considering she can't actually hit him. He moved around and was tearing up the tank trying to dig a new burrow. I finally dropped a clam in each burrow and he realized her old one was unoccupied AND had food in it. He still moped around a bit but as it got dark he decided that was his best choice and he took it. There's sand everywhere, but no real damage was done. 

I've been looking into a small UV sterilizer to try to combat the shell rot issues multiple mantises can have. I'm also considering switching their white PVC to Black ABS. I'm not looking forward to the possibility of 2 loose mantises while I rearrange literally everything to get the burrows buried. I have a Maxspect r420r on the tank, and I'm also looking into how to get a bluer light spectrum out of it. A different light just isn't in the budget right now. 

Well after some musical chairs and failed (owner sabotaged) burrow building, somehow Ocean and Bruiser are back in their original burrows again. 

Ocean is also showing that she knows I bring her food. She popped out of her burrow well enough that I could verify for sure that she's a she. 

20201224_173629.thumb.jpg.a29f59e1a6baf440b3b4824601770382.jpg

20201224_174028.thumb.jpg.baf3dd0235eb4a9eae562d9afb3dbf69.jpg

Her belly is really, really red. I'm also really tempted to start interacting with her with my hand, since she is not able to bash at me. Related to that, I've noticed one of the big turbo snails is hanging around her burrow. Maybe it has realized that it's safer there.

I have been working on my corals too. It seems to be evolving more into a softy tank, but it's doing mostly ok. I may need to move my bubble coral into the 13.5, or as a minimum, add more carbon. Mainly, just trying to put in things they won't kill accidentally. 

• Like 2

They seem to have worked out an odd burrow sharing arrangement. Bruiser takes a self dug short tunnel in the back during the day, and Ocean takes his regular burrow. At night, they go back to their original burrows. I have no idea if this is forced by one side, or mutual. 

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since I've been on. Other than the typical algae issues you'd expect from not being able to keep hermit crabs and snails (I do have 1 giant turbo that's hanging on), the tank is going well. I got a promotion so I'll be moving about 100 miles in 3 weeks. Why I mention that is because I just discovered Bruiser "riding" Ocean around the tank, and they appeared to be having a great time. I'm excited, and hopeful something comes from this, but also worried about to move, and a bit concerned that'll screw everything up. Sorry for the poor photos, I was doing my best to not disturb them. 

20210602_153618.jpg

• Like 1