ValerieR

66 SCA Predator Reef build

Tired

Woo, lots of critters! I'd be a little worried about the sifter star, though, those need really large tanks to avoid gradual starvation. 

Do you hand-feed them? 

ValerieR
On 2/3/2020 at 6:08 PM, Tired said:

Woo, lots of critters! I'd be a little worried about the sifter star, though, those need really large tanks to avoid gradual starvation. 

Do you hand-feed them? 

No, I haven’t had to yet. I did try once but he didn’t seem interested. I think I’d have to bury it to keep the hermits or shrimp from stealing it from him. 

ValerieR
On 2/3/2020 at 5:53 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yeah I’ve been watching this with amazement that they all get along. I guess though sharks and other predators live on real reefs without devastating it, so I hope yours continues to thrive! It’s so cool, especially the cockatoos— they remind me of Blennies with Mohawks 😂 

The key is really getting things of a similar size with a similar adult size. Ignore that advice with frog fish though... they’ll eat things the same size as themselves. Leaf fish and cockatoo wasp fish have relatively small mouths, so compatibility is good. I think my lawnmower blenny got eaten, so it’s not a perfect world. Would be nice to get peppermint shrimp for the aptasia, but I’d need a huge one to last long enough to eat it all. I’m looking at a new sump, and may take to catching them all, dropping them in the sump, doing stuff to the upper tank and then putting them back. They’re stupid easy to catch. 

• Haha 1

Dirté Sanchez
1 hour ago, ValerieR said:

The key is really getting things of a similar size with a similar adult size. Ignore that advice with frog fish though... they’ll eat things the same size as themselves. Leaf fish and cockatoo wasp fish have relatively small mouths, so compatibility is good. I think my lawnmower blenny got eaten, so it’s not a perfect world. Would be nice to get peppermint shrimp for the aptasia, but I’d need a huge one to last long enough to eat it all. I’m looking at a new sump, and may take to catching them all, dropping them in the sump, doing stuff to the upper tank and then putting them back. They’re stupid easy to catch. 

That’s one way to deal with them. I had to chase my female clown fish for a long time last night before I got her in a net.

Tired

I would try to feed the sifter star, it's hard to tell they're starving until they do. 

And I meant do you ever hand-feed the fish. They seem bold enough to like it, though I'm not sure you want to encourage venomous fish to come towards your hands when you put 'em in there.

ValerieR
On 2/11/2020 at 9:08 PM, Tired said:

I would try to feed the sifter star, it's hard to tell they're starving until they do. 

And I meant do you ever hand-feed the fish. They seem bold enough to like it, though I'm not sure you want to encourage venomous fish to come towards your hands when you put 'em in there.

I feed each fish individually, but not with my hands. They chase the tongs around by now, no matter what I'm holding with them, so I don't want that sort of encouraged proximity where I can't move freely within the tank if I need to. I'm not afraid of them, and I have had them come explore my hands and perch on me out of curiosity, but other than wanting them to not fear me, I'm happy with how things are. Feeding my snakes and other animals has taught me animals aren't perfect, and sooner or later someone will make an error. May as well prevent the foreseeable. 

ValerieR

So bad news: Slimy the eel committed Harry Carey while I was in Reno last weekend. Not sure how, as the glass lid was on. But I came back and he was thoroughly beyond saving. I'm pretty upset, but one of my LFS gets white ribbon eels in regularly, so I'll likely get another one. Maybe I'll consider a different type of eel. I'll need to consider what would work in my tank. 

I picked up 3 true percula clownfish for my daughter's 13.5, because I almost never see them at any of my LFSs. They were only $10 each, so I had to. They made the 5 hr drive home ok, and with my leaf fish in the 13.5 I put the clownfish in a breeder box for the night. One managed to jump out overnight and was promptly eaten. I'm glad I got 3. 

20200210_194329.thumb.jpg.e1a2d7855020accc2db50864f10f02aa.jpg

This did prompt the decision that they were eating well enough to get moved back into the 66, and I moved them my first day back. They still aren't fond of krill, but they will eat glass shrimp, dead or alive, from feeding tongs. The big tank just adds a timer to that, or the Cockatoo Waspfish will come steal their dinner. The food interest from other fish seems to be helping though, and they both ate in record time last night.

The bigger one was starting to pick on the smaller one in the 13, but that's over now. They hang out side by side most of the time in the big tank. 

20200210_194831.thumb.jpg.41a3e83377fe6aa7d1175b4d85b8f3fd.jpg

I added a new coral and while I floated it (before dipping), I came and sat by the tank. All 5 of them came to say hello and see if I had food. It was pretty amusing. Can you see all 5?

20200214_182142.thumb.jpg.924ab7279db937a5410ba1f952a32b47.jpg

• Like 2

Snow_Phoenix
54 minutes ago, ValerieR said:

So bad news: Slimy the eel committed Harry Carey while I was in Reno last weekend. Not sure how, as the glass lid was on. But I came back and he was thoroughly beyond saving. I'm pretty upset, but one of my LFS gets white ribbon eels in regularly, so I'll likely get another one. Maybe I'll consider a different type of eel. I'll need to consider what would work in my tank. 

I picked up 3 true percula clownfish for my daughter's 13.5, because I almost never see them at any of my LFSs. They were only $10 each, so I had to. They made the 5 hr drive home ok, and with my leaf fish in the 13.5 I put the clownfish in a breeder box for the night. One managed to jump out overnight and was promptly eaten. I'm glad I got 3. 

20200210_194329.thumb.jpg.e1a2d7855020accc2db50864f10f02aa.jpg

This did prompt the decision that they were eating well enough to get moved back into the 66, and I moved them my first day back. They still aren't fond of krill, but they will eat glass shrimp, dead or alive, from feeding tongs. The big tank just adds a timer to that, or the Cockatoo Waspfish will come steal their dinner. The food interest from other fish seems to be helping though, and they both ate in record time last night.

The bigger one was starting to pick on the smaller one in the 13, but that's over now. They hang out side by side most of the time in the big tank. 

20200210_194831.thumb.jpg.41a3e83377fe6aa7d1175b4d85b8f3fd.jpg

I added a new coral and while I floated it (before dipping), I came and sat by the tank. All 5 of them came to say hello and see if I had food. It was pretty amusing. Can you see all 5?

20200214_182142.thumb.jpg.924ab7279db937a5410ba1f952a32b47.jpg

That's so amazing. Love the leaffish - I saw one in a DT in a public aquarium in Singapore. Beautiful fish. 🙂 

• Like 1