TerribleLobster

IM Nuvo 20g Build Thread

TerribleLobster

Build Thread!

Currently 3 months into the build with 2 months of running:MVIMG_20190909_135015.thumb.jpg.292df2951eb1c6f346d8260c742cd49d.jpg.

Hardware:

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 AIO

Filters: 1 Media caddy, 1 200 micron filter sock, 15 lbs dry rock, 18 lbs live sand

Heating: 150 W heater

Cooling: AC Infinity AXIAL 1225 Fan - Amazon

Temp Controller: Inkbird controller

ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155

RODI Unit: Liquagen 4 stage (tds of city water is around 45 originally)

Lighting: 1 Kessil a160 Blue with mounting arm

Lighting Controller: Kessil A series spectral controller

Return Pump: Stock ~250 gph

Possible additions: Been thinking about adding a vortech mp10 and an algae scrubber. dosing pumps? I don't plan on running too many sps in the tank, but my gf went out and surprised me with a montipora and elegance coral when I was on vacation... I think I'll have to pay more attention to calc and alk levels now.

Livestock: 1 clownfish, 1 rhodactis mushroom, 1 neon green toadstool leather, 1 aussie elegance coral, 1 montipora cap, 1 ricordea florida mushroom, 1 fire cleaner shrimp

Diary:

Tank Startup - Used dry rock and live sand, in a previous tank I had gotten aptasia and it was a nightmare so I endeavored to keep this tank as pest free as possible. I have really liked the dry rock so far. I got dry rock with a nice purple finish and was able to cement it into a cool arch. I used the NYOS reef cement and it was a nightmare to mix though it did work in the end after much frustration. I originally wasn't planning on using a temperature controller but stumbled onto one for free and holy cow is this thing nice. 100% worth the 40 bucks it would have cost if I bought it. I used dr tim's one and only for cycling + ammonium chloride and was pleased. It wasn't instant, my tank still took about 20 days to cycle, but I could very clearly see the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates changing as I tested. 

I added my first fish (clownfish) after a month and then added a piece of macro algae a week after. When I added the macro algae, it may have brought a pest because my fish started losing scales near his gills. I freshwater dipped him and treated the tank with prazi pro, thinking it could be flukes. He has been great ever since and the tank has been happy.

I would love any feedback and suggestions. I do water changes weekly.

First time adding water shot:

initialtankshot.thumb.jpg.11c2e4e68bb0b73d47e4f00255932893.jpg

• Like 1

billygoat

Hello and welcome to N-R! :welcome:

Very nice setup you've got going on here. Seems like you are going slowly and taking your time and that is always great to see. IM makes a quality aquarium and I'm excited to see where you take it. I'll be following along!

As for wavemakers, I use an MP10 myself and can recommend it. It's not cheap but it does a great job and I've had no problems so far after running one for 5 months or so.

What kind of future stocking plans do you have in mind? You mentioned you're not super interested in SPS, so does that mean more leathers and such are in your future? Or perhaps LPS like blastos?

TerribleLobster

@billygoat I love the idea behind your Carrbiean tank, the many species of Macro Algae look great!

As far as corals/inverts go, my goal is to be able to house a bubble tip anemone and one of the yellow and blue torches. While I wait for the tank to establish more I will probably look for one or two more mushrooms as well as maybe a few species of zoas that I can keep on the rock island in the front. I hadn't actually planned on getting the montipora yet until the tank was more established but my gf got it and the elegance coral while I was on vacation :O. My Ca and Alk levels are a bit low for what it recommended for those so I may need to start dosing.

For fish, I am not sure yet. A few different things on my mind: Orchid Dottyback, Midas Blenny, Yellow Damsel.

billygoat
12 hours ago, TerribleLobster said:

@billygoat I love the idea behind your Carrbiean tank, the many species of Macro Algae look great!

As far as corals/inverts go, my goal is to be able to house a bubble tip anemone and one of the yellow and blue torches. While I wait for the tank to establish more I will probably look for one or two more mushrooms as well as maybe a few species of zoas that I can keep on the rock island in the front. I hadn't actually planned on getting the montipora yet until the tank was more established but my gf got it and the elegance coral while I was on vacation :O. My Ca and Alk levels are a bit low for what it recommended for those so I may need to start dosing.

For fish, I am not sure yet. A few different things on my mind: Orchid Dottyback, Midas Blenny, Yellow Damsel.

Oh thanks for the compliment! 😁 It's always good to hear that other people are interested in my biotope.

If the elegance and monti are the only corals in your tank so far, you probably can get away with simply doing regular water changes to provide them with minerals and other trace elements for the time being. That being said, dosing is a good habit to get into because you're definitely going to have to do it at some point down the line, so getting going with that isn't a bad idea by any means. 😊 Maintaining steady alkalinity in particular will go a long way towards ensuring stability in your aquarium.

The orchid dottyback is my personal favorite of the fish you listed. They are quite hardy once established and very beautiful fish. Can't wait to see what you end up getting!