Top Shelf Aquatics

Go ahead and use sand in QT

Humblefish

I've never liked the bare bottom QT look, and have noticed how some fish seem uncomfortable in that environment. Especially sand burrowing wrasses, gobies and other fish who utilize sand as part of their daily routine. I've also seen tangs, angels, etc. fight their reflection on the bottom glass.

So, I decided to experiment with some sand in one of my 40 gallon QTs (pic below). I used this 10 lb bag of aragonite, just enough to cover the bottom: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-tank-sand-gravel-substrate/caribsea-aragonite-aquarium-sand

I chose aragonite because it is coarse, and thus unlikely to stick to a fish's mucous coat or inside the gills. This is a concern because parasite tomonts can encyst to sand, and you don't want to transfer any of those into your DT or a holding tank. I tested the copper level daily (for absorption) using the Hanna High Range Copper Colorimeter (HI702). To my surprise, 10 lbs of aragonite only absorbed ~ 0.20 ppm worth of chelated copper (Copper Power). That is easily manageable so long as you test your copper level on a regular basis!

The QT looks better, the fish seem calmer/more comfortable... especially the Yellow Coris Wrasse and Diamond Goby in the tank. So, go ahead and use sand in QT! 😊

IMG_0713.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a video of my QT room, showing the tanks with aragonite in them.

The tanks look better, fish seem much calmer with a substrate, and copper absorption is minimal.

• Like 4

They certainly seem a lot calmer than most fish I've seen in QT. And clearly they know you have food sometimes!

What's that angelfish with the yellow body, black fins and tail, and blue lips? I don't think I've ever seen pics of that kind before, but it's gorgeous. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Tired said:

What's that angelfish with the yellow body, black fins and tail, and blue lips? I don't think I've ever seen pics of that kind before, but it's gorgeous. 

Goldflake Angel

27 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

But, what happens when you no longer need the QT? Do you throw the sand out with each use?

I flush rinse it in a bucket, and then pour it out over visqueen to dry. However, the sand only cost me $5 per tank so I guess you could just toss it.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Goldflake Angel

I flush rinse it in a bucket, and then pour it out over visqueen to dry. However, the sand only cost me $5 per tank so I guess you could just toss it.

That's not too bad as a disposable item.