Coral Vue Hydros

Uranium Bounce Mushrooms

blaksheep67

I purchased a single mushroom awhile back from an eBay group I belong to. The mushroom I purchased had a few small bubbles. Somehow the shroom attached itself to a Purple Photosynthetic Gorgonian and has grown into a colony of about 6. Can someone plus verify that these are in fact Uranium Bounces ((Sorry for crappy pics).

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4619.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

fullsizeoutput_761.jpeg

4 minutes ago, blaksheep67 said:

I purchased the original in an auction and it was described as a uranium bounce and it was bouncy, Who's that.

Rhodactis mushrooms can have some spots that seem "bubbled," but they are not as pronounced as an actual bounce. Usually much smaller bubbles.

I also have one that has small bubbles like the one in your last pic seems to have. I dont however think they would be considered a true bounce as they are quite common. 

Someone with more knowledge can chime in on that though. 

• Like 1

So a lot of people are saying bounces are like tumors or a cancer, they come from blue light, and older shrooms are more likely to display the bounce. Assuming these are true I think it would be worth exploring specifically the reaction to uv light which would be included in most peoples “blues.” Just like with humans, this wavelength penetrates our skin, causes sunburns, and can lead to skin cancer given enough exposure due to damage to our DNA. If these wavelengths reach and penetrate the tissue of the shrooms, they could have the same effect, causing short term damage that leads to long term DNA damage and the formation of tumors (although not the same as cancer or skin cancer on humans). This is consistent with people who say older shrooms are more likely to show it because the damage accumulates over time. Now your baby shroom that seems to have bounced even though it is young hasn’t had time to accumulate the long term damage. This seems to contradict this theory but if we consider that this shroom is significantly smaller and thinner than the others, the uv light would penetrate deeper into the tissue relatively and may have had a stronger and therefore faster impact. A great way to test this would be if anyone has newer gen radions on their tank because they have true UV spectrum diodes and the options to control them separately. If you could dial just the uv channel up on one of the radions over a tank of shrooms and leave the others the same then you could tell if that is specifically the cause. Overall I think it is safe to say that bounce shrooms are indeed normal shrooms that have been damaged and are displaying a response to that damage.

So UV light causes damage by damaging DNA at a cellular level. Since shrooms reproduce by cloning themselves the damaged DNA would always be passed down. Could be that part of a shroom has damage and starts to bounce but another is undamaged. If that undamaged part buds off and produces a baby then the baby would be fine. However, given enough time, the damage could be more extensive and increase the probability of a baby being a bounce to a near certainty.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
21 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So a lot of people are saying bounces are like tumors or a cancer, they come from blue light, and older shrooms are more likely to display the bounce. Assuming these are true I think it would be worth exploring specifically the reaction to uv light which would be included in most peoples “blues.” Just like with humans, this wavelength penetrates our skin, causes sunburns, and can lead to skin cancer given enough exposure due to damage to our DNA. If these wavelengths reach and penetrate the tissue of the shrooms, they could have the same effect, causing short term damage that leads to long term DNA damage and the formation of tumors (although not the same as cancer or skin cancer on humans). This is consistent with people who say older shrooms are more likely to show it because the damage accumulates over time. Now your baby shroom that seems to have bounced even though it is young hasn’t had time to accumulate the long term damage. This seems to contradict this theory but if we consider that this shroom is significantly smaller and thinner than the others, the uv light would penetrate deeper into the tissue relatively and may have had a stronger and therefore faster impact. A great way to test this would be if anyone has newer gen radions on their tank because they have true UV spectrum diodes and the options to control them separately. If you could dial just the uv channel up on one of the radions over a tank of shrooms and leave the others the same then you could tell if that is specifically the cause. Overall I think it is safe to say that bounce shrooms are indeed normal shrooms that have been damaged and are displaying a response to that damage.

So UV light causes damage by damaging DNA at a cellular level. Since shrooms reproduce by cloning themselves the damaged DNA would always be passed down. Could be that part of a shroom has damage and starts to bounce but another is undamaged. If that undamaged part buds off and produces a baby then the baby would be fine. However, given enough time, the damage could be more extensive and increase the probability of a baby being a bounce to a near certainty.

That was a great little article ratvan. Very helpful, I had no idea about the bounces.