SaltCritters.com

Moving from old tank to a new one

D4rkAngel

Hi,

I have a 9 gallons like only 2 months old and i bought a new IM 20 gallons.

I only have 1 clownfish, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 small corals ( zoanthid, hammer and GSP ) 1 rock and 1 1/2 inches of fiji pink sand in my 9 gallons.
The thing is, my new tank will go at the same place where my 9 gallons is...

How do i manage to move my things,
Should i try to move away my old 9 gallons somewhere else and do a complete new start with my 20 gallons ?

Thank you.

You should really have a lot more live rock than that. 

Your beneficial bacteria (the ones you were trying to grow when cycling your tank) are on your filter media and all solid objects in your tank. If you transfer all those to your new tank, the new tank should be cycled. You should, however, make sure to test the water frequently, just in case you need to do water changes to help an ammonia spike from disturbing the sand. 

Check out my lagoon journal, I detailed step by step the process of transfering tanks that went in the exact spot.

I would write it out but it's very lengthy and detailed.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Check out my lagoon journal, I detailed step by step the process of transfering tanks that went in the exact spot.

I would write it out but it's very lengthy and detailed.

I just read what you did but your old tank was a 15 gallons but mine is a 9 gallons so i dont think i will have enough water to do what you did 😞

Adding new water is just like doing a water change, it won't hurt a thing. Just add some new water, pre-mixed and preferably heated to the same temperature, to any buckets that don't have enough space. You should have enough water for holding buckets for your critters, though, which is what you especially need.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, D4rkAngel said:

I just read what you did but your old tank was a 15 gallons but mine is a 9 gallons so i dont think i will have enough water to do what you did 😞

I saved water from my 15g and made a bunch of new water to add to the 25g. I may have had 9g from the 15g that I reused.

15g to 25g , is about 10 new gallons

I also just transferred a 10g to a 20g,  10 new gallons of water.

Same as you going from a 9g to a 20g.

Same procedure. Save as much as you can but have new water made.

Both my tanks were transferred in 1 day and both transfers were going in the same spot as the original tank. 

Buy caribsea liferock to add additional rock or pre cycle rock in a bucket.

Water isn't your biological filtration, the rocks are.  as long as you are using the existing rock from the 9g and not adding any new fish, you will be fine.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Tired said:

You should really have a lot more live rock than that. 

Your beneficial bacteria (the ones you were trying to grow when cycling your tank) are on your filter media and all solid objects in your tank. If you transfer all those to your new tank, the new tank should be cycled. You should, however, make sure to test the water frequently, just in case you need to do water changes to help an ammonia spike from disturbing the sand. 

Well, i have 2 bags of Aquaforest Life Bio fill in the back that i will transfer in the new tank.

That rock was like 4.2lbs but i don't like the shape of it for my new tank... I wanted to get some new one.