Top Shelf Aquatics

New Tank Thoughts

Letterkenny

It’s been about 5 years since having my tank and my wife and I recently moved and she wants to get into the hobby with me. First hurdle getting wife’s approval: check. Now I could use some advice choosing the tank. I was originally looking at a IM 20, 25 Lagoon Pro, 30L, or their ~40 that fits the 25 lagoon stand but have recently been looking at JBJ’s 25 and 45 AIO rimless. Any experience with the JBJ? Main reason for the JBJ is that my LFS has them locally and for $499 for the 25 and $649 for the 45 which is less than a 25 lagoon at $749 for the tank and stand. 

Live stock, looking at just doing some softies and designer clowns (I have had grade A black ice before and would likely get those or Picasso’s). The other thought with going with the larger 45 would be less frequent water changes, correct as the bioload would low? My wife and I can be gone for 3 weeks on vacation. We have a pet sitter that comes daily but not sure about trusting them with a water change. 

• Like 1

Sounds exciting. The hobby is more fun with your spouse onboard.  Can't help you much with tank selection; however, for a mature tank, 3 weeks isn't too long to go without a water change.  Yes, a light bio-load will help.

• Like 1

Welcome back! Does the quoted price for the JBJ tanks also include a stand or is that part of the price difference? That is a big list of choices on tanks with different capacities or volume and shapes. Do you have a preference of cube style or long and shallow? 5 years isn't that long ago but there are some improvements in equipment and some new ideas on both keeping it simple or automating everything you can. If you haven't already check out some tank journals to see which style you may like.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back! Does the quoted price for the JBJ tanks also include a stand or is that part of the price difference? That is a big list of choices on tanks with different capacities or volume and shapes. Do you have a preference of cube style or long and shallow? 5 years isn't that long ago but there are some improvements in equipment and some new ideas on both keeping it simple or automating everything you can. If you haven't already check out some tank journals to see which style you may like.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and am planning on as much automation as I can (have been thinking of getting an awc) at some point. Yes, I know a lot of different tank options there. I don’t really have a preference but mainly comes down to price and quality. Yes, the JBJ includes a stand which is the big thing. It’s hard for me to justify some of these asking prices on the stands but my wife is pretty against me doing a DYI stand in the new house. 

I’m leaning towards the JBJ 45 since I’d assume that would be the lowest maintenance? Main difference being a couple more gallons in the water change. Current thoughts on stocking would be LPS, softies, 2 clowns, and maybe a watchman goby pistol pair if that doesn’t increase the bioload from the clowns. The only concern going larger is cost creep from the equipment. Was planning on a AI Prime and a MP10 (since I would eventually get that battery backup it comes with) but would this tank require me to double up on either/both? Also, whats the consensus on media reactors and a refugium? I have only ran in the past a skimmer, chemipure elite, purigen. Ultimate goal would be to make this tank ULM. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, BioCube Newb said:

Bulk Reef Supply has a video on youtube that makes a very strong case for a refugium.  I prefer a fuge because its cheaper and easier than a skimmer IMO.

I would have a skimmer as well but it is more so Fuge vs media reactor.