Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Florida ricordea pests

Jacob319

So I keep almost all my mushrooms in my sandbed and before I just had two down there one was on a frag a little bit above the sand bed and the other I buried the disc down to try and hide it the one where I buried disc was eaten starting with the mouth of the ricordea but the other wasnt affected I waited about a month and figured it was a fluke so I bought a rock of ricordeas and now I'm noticing the same thing happening to them. And I've never seen something act so quickly to eat them in that way but at night I made a red light filter and scoured it for hours and saw no pests in the tank does anyone know what could be causing this???

And I'm almost positive it's a pest cause I'll wake up and look into my tank and they'll have their mouths missing but my ricordea that survived the last time hasn't been touched.

• Wow 1
11 hours ago, sadie said:

If you didn't dip it before you put it in the tank, it might not be a bad idea to take it out and dip it now.  That's what I would do, it you think it is a pest.

I did that and the only thing that died was a copepod

11 hours ago, sadie said:

If you didn't dip it before you put it in the tank, it might not be a bad idea to take it out and dip it now.  That's what I would do, it you think it is a pest.

But I did move them into some rock higher in the water colum to see if anything changes 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 9/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, Jacob319 said:

So I keep almost all my mushrooms in my sandbed and before I just had two down there one was on a frag a little bit above the sand bed and the other I buried the disc down to try and hide it the one where I buried disc was eaten starting with the mouth of the ricordea but the other wasnt affected I waited about a month and figured it was a fluke so I bought a rock of ricordeas and now I'm noticing the same thing happening to them. And I've never seen something act so quickly to eat them in that way but at night I made a red light filter and scoured it for hours and saw no pests in the tank does anyone know what could be causing this???

And I'm almost positive it's a pest cause I'll wake up and look into my tank and they'll have their mouths missing but my ricordea that survived the last time hasn't been touched.

Some kinda killer worm? I’m guessing a worm

• 2 weeks later...

The few ricordea anemone collectors I know say gammarind amphipods in large numbers can wipe out dozens of ricordea in short time over night. I have seen it myself. Take that for what you may. I know a few that keep wrasses in their tanks to keep pods down. Might be a fish tale but I believe it. 

• Like 2