ReefCleaners.org

Deep Sand Bed

dling

I have a DSB in my sump. It's size is 12x8 at 6 inches deep. I've been thinking about removing it.

I don't know what to replace it with.  Any suggestions ? Or just leave it ? I cant remember how old it is.

From what I can see through the side of the sump the sand still looks mostly clean.

Have any of you tried the brightwell media bricks ? Would they be a good replacement for my DSB?

Also how much flow is required ? In my sump there would be just the water moving across the top of the brick.

2 hours ago, dling said:

Have any of you tried the brightwell media bricks ? Would they be a good replacement for my DSB?

Also how much flow is required ? In my sump there would be just the water moving across the top of the brick.

I believe so or similar ceramic blocks will do like ceremedia marine blocks. Try going with the largest one that will fit in your sump because the benefit of denitrification. I'm a believer of my marine block dentitryfing because my nitrates are at 2ppm with no water changes and needed to feed more.

• 2 weeks later...

Its done. I removed all of the sand and added the Marine Pure. It seems very fragile.

Hoping not to have the break down of the block that I read some have where it turns into a pile of dust.

I haven't heard of it disintegrating in a system over time but  what I did hear is that when touched or handled it broke down easily. I believe that issue has been taken care of by the company and is less likely to turn into mush.