inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Spec V or Fluval Evo V?

Alyciac327

I want to start an easy mini reef tank and am very curious about the Fluval V's.  I see a lot of threads regarding upgrading the Spec into a saltwater tank, but I also discovered the Evo that is basically the same tank with better lighting?  Is it easier for me to just buy the Evo or will I end up needing upgrades anyway?  What's the cheapest way to go at this successfully?  I just want pretty corals and maybe an anemone. 

I've been running the Evo V for the last month or so. The Evo already has SW lighting. I think if you stock within the limits of the lighting, you would probably be fine with it. I'm likely to upgrade my lighting, but only because my wife (for whom I've built this tank) really wants a nice bubble tip anemone, and they appreciate more light.

What kind of pretty corals are you after? I shouldn't give too much advice on this... I'm about 40 years into aquariums and about 30 years into saltwater, but really this is my first reef tank and I'm like a beginner all over again. But my inclination would be... look at the corals you like, narrow it down to the ones that do fine with low to moderate light, and stick to that if you want to keep costs down.

8 hours ago, TerraMagnus said:

I've been running the Evo V for the last month or so. The Evo already has SW lighting. I think if you stock within the limits of the lighting, you would probably be fine with it. I'm likely to upgrade my lighting, but only because my wife (for whom I've built this tank) really wants a nice bubble tip anemone, and they appreciate more light.

What kind of pretty corals are you after? I shouldn't give too much advice on this... I'm about 40 years into aquariums and about 30 years into saltwater, but really this is my first reef tank and I'm like a beginner all over again. But my inclination would be... look at the corals you like, narrow it down to the ones that do fine with low to moderate light, and stick to that if you want to keep costs down.

Thanks for the tips!  I don't know what corals I want exactly yet.  I had a saltwater tank in college and I could never keep corals alive but I was more focused on my fish then. This tank is going to be purely corals so I'll be completely focused on keeping them alive and thriving.  I should probably stick to the easiest ones to care for though. I also want the ones that feed on the water and their own algae. I don't want ones I need to feed plankton to. 

52 minutes ago, Alyciac327 said:

I don't want to be feeding them chopped up anything.  I'm vegan so this tank has to align with my values. 

Maybe this is why you had problems with coral before. They pretty much all benefit from eating "chopped up anything"

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Maybe this is why you had problems with coral before. They pretty much all benefit from eating "chopped up anything"

I fed my fish and coral "chopped up anything" the first time.  I wasn't vegan then.  I've been reading up and saw many can eat phytoplankton, which are considered plants. 

If you have the means I would say get the spec V and upgrade the lighting, that’s assuming the spec V is cheaper. If you have the means it may also be beneficial to consider starting with a larger tank to prevent fluctuating temperatures and conditions, the stability would be better for corals.  

As for feeding corals, I believe most, if not all, naturally feed on zooplankton and other small animals. Even if you feed phytoplankton, I have read that all you’re doing is providing food for zooplankton, which in turn produces more zooplankton for your coral to feed on. For these reasons I’m not sure it is even possible to feed coral a vegan diet, and if they’re not getting the food they need they may not color up or grow as well.

14 minutes ago, Ckane2 said:

If you have the means I would say get the spec V and upgrade the lighting, that’s assuming the spec V is cheaper. If you have the means it may also be beneficial to consider starting with a larger tank to prevent fluctuating temperatures and conditions, the stability would be better for corals.  

As for feeding corals, I believe most, if not all, naturally feed on zooplankton and other small animals. Even if you feed phytoplankton, I have read that all you’re doing is providing food for zooplankton, which in turn produces more zooplankton for your coral to feed on. For these reasons I’m not sure it is even possible to feed coral a vegan diet, and if they’re not getting the food they need they may not color up or grow as well.

Thanks for the info!  The Spec is available on Amazon for $65, while the Evo is available for $105.  Not sure if I'd be able to get a light cheap enough to stay within the difference?  Unfortunately, I can't start a bigger tank.  I have minimal living space.  I think I'm good with feeding the coral plankton after doing some research on it.  

I'm not sure what corals I want.  I just want something durable and pretty to look at.  If I could get ones that do well in lower lighting, that would be good if I get the Evo.  I also don't want ones that sting.  I just don't feel like dealing with that lol. 

The light that comes with the evo should be fine for zoa’s, mushrooms, and soft corals like devil’s hand leather. Green star polyps are an extremely easy to care for coral that a lot of people start out with, but it becomes invasive fast and can take over a tank. If you do start with green star polyps keep it on a rock that is away from your main rock work. 

3 minutes ago, Ckane2 said:

The light that comes with the evo should be fine for zoa’s, mushrooms, and soft corals like devil’s hand leather. Green star polyps are an extremely easy to care for coral that a lot of people start out with, but it becomes invasive fast and can take over a tank. If you do start with green star polyps keep it on a rock that is away from your main rock work. 

Thanks so much!  I'll look into those! 

I ran the 5.5g spec. I wouldn't do it again.

I don't like fluval back chamber design. Too small, the design doesn't work well, the back chamber water level rises and drops periodically on it's own (not evaporation) which caused issues keeping salinity correct because I would top up as it dropped but then an hour later it would rise far too high.

(Even an empty chamber with only pump it did this)

The stock pump sucks! 

The dimensions are limiting too.

If you go with fluval, the Evo would be better. It's designed for SW, it comes with a better light.

13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I ran the 5.5g spec. I wouldn't do it again.

I don't like fluval back chamber design. Too small, the design doesn't work well, the back chamber water level rises and drops periodically on it's own (not evaporation) which caused issues keeping salinity correct because I would top up as it dropped but then an hour later it would rise far too high.

(Even an empty chamber with only pump it did this)

The stock pump sucks! 

The dimensions are limiting too.

If you go with fluval, the Evo would be better. It's designed for SW, it comes with a better light.

Thanks so much!