Pod Your Reef

? on hermitcrab

sadie

I got this crab maybe a year ago as a blue legged crab, but it's not a blue legged.  It hasn't hurt any of my coral or been a bother and I like him, so I'd like to keep him, but I don't know what kind it is.  It has taken bigger shells several times and the one he is wearing is the biggest one I have.

I know the picture isn't great, but does anyone know what kind it is and how big it will get?  Should I get some bigger shells?  It's legs have a black and white pattern to them.  I have one of my bluelegs in the pic so you can see the size difference.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

2 hermits.JPG

hermit.JPG

Ah, it's pretty!

I did some googling, and it's a zebra hermit, Calcinus seurati. Looks like they're pretty commonly kept in reefs, are generally reef-safe, and don't get too large. It's always best to make sure your hermit crabs have shells a size or two up from their current ones, though, even the ones not likely to grow much more. Apparently this kind particularly likes nerite snail shells, and is great for hair algae. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, sadie said:

I got this crab maybe a year ago as a blue legged crab, but it's not a blue legged.  It hasn't hurt any of my coral or been a bother and I like him, so I'd like to keep him, but I don't know what kind it is.  It has taken bigger shells several times and the one he is wearing is the biggest one I have.

I know the picture isn't great, but does anyone know what kind it is and how big it will get?  Should I get some bigger shells?  It's legs have a black and white pattern to them.  I have one of my bluelegs in the pic so you can see the size difference.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

2 hermits.JPG

hermit.JPG

It’s a zebra hermit. Sometimes they are called Left Handed Hermits.  They don’t eat algae as well as the blue legs but they are good guys to keep around. I’ve found that they fight with each other the most of all the hermits. 😊

• Thanks 1