Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dino's?

justinkdenny

1 hour ago, justinkdenny said:

Did you treat the eradication of these the same?

Yes. By the time I had it in my sand bed everything was already dying off. I had only a small patch and sucked out that sand.

I had already stopped manual dino removal and was just on dosing phyto, keeping nutrients up and small waterchanges every 2 weeks.

Any remaining dino's seen under microscope within a few weeks were then gone. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Yes. By the time I had it in my sand bed everything was already dying off. I had only a small patch and sucked out that sand.

I had already stopped manual dino removal and was just on dosing phyto, keeping nutrients up and small waterchanges every 2 weeks.

Any remaining dino's seen under microscope within a few weeks were then gone. 

You ended up settling on 10% every other week or something if I'm not mistaken?

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

You ended up settling on 10% every other week or something if I'm not mistaken?

Something like that 

I know it was no more than 2g. I didn't want to strip my tank again because keeping nitrates up is very hard especially since we can't get any of the dosing products here.

I still only do no more than 3.5g, it fluctuates according to needs now. 

I added more pods along the way and still dose phyto. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

If I turned over the sandbed a little one night, would they be grouped up and noticeable?

All the snotty mucus behavior has to do with protection from light and protection from being washed out to sea, so I'd suspect no they would not be visible at night under the sand if you looked there.  I bet if you took a few grains of substrate under the scope you'd see em that way though.

How are you existing pods and snails doing in the tank now?

(Just a reminder: Make sure to post if you can get a better pic!)

6 hours ago, mcarroll said:

All the snotty mucus behavior has to do with protection from light and protection from being washed out to sea, so I'd suspect no they would not be visible at night under the sand if you looked there.  I bet if you took a few grains of substrate under the scope you'd see em that way though.

How are you existing pods and snails doing in the tank now?

(Just a reminder: Make sure to post if you can get a better pic!)

Snails seem somewhat active.  Haven't had any die off.  I still have to flip some that are upside  down but that might just be the species that cant flip over.  I hardly ever see pods after I add them at night.  I wait until clown seems asleep because he goes to town on them.  Still working on that scope.....

• Like 1

Sounds like they're still a little drunk from dino toxin to me.   IMO snails can always hang on when they're healthy.  The turning over issue isn't a thing with "some snails" it's related to being weak, usually from starving....but in your case probably from toxins they get from grazing.  "Ordinarily" dino's are algae epiphytes, so they get eaten along with the green algae, etc.

If you add more snails, there will be less toxin per snail, leaving your snails overall in better condition.  PLUS you'll have more help on the algae control front.

Adding pods may also help if you can do it a lot without going broke.  They also eat the dino's, but probably die off in the process, so they'll need to be replaced.  Not a great approach if pods are expensive for you.  I'd at least start by just adding more snails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/20/2019 at 1:05 AM, mcarroll said:

Can you try zooming in as much as possible with the camera for another pic?  That one is too small/fuzzy for me to make out.  Personally all I can say with that detail is Yep, those look like dino's.  If you can get a movie that shows the motion they are in, that would also be helpful.

A little fuzzy may be OK if the subjects are bigger.  😁

I think we need a positive ID on this so we know if we're missing something.

I'm gonna guess for now tho and say that you either have Ostreopsis or Amphidinium....those seem to be the most pesky as they aren't simply "turned off" by correcting the nutrient situation like most other dino's appear to be. 

Ostreopsis's cycle in the wild is tied not only to the seasonal nutrient cycles but also to seasonal temperature swings....so I think there are some things we could figure out with them, but haven't yet.

Amphidinium aren't as problematic to other livestock as most other dino's thankfully, since they seem to be about the toughest to "shut off"....for example they're impervious to UV and micron filtration since they stay on the substrate after lights out vs entering the water column like most dino's we experience.  They also don't seem very responsive to nutrient corrections.

Folks have experimented with things like causing temperature swings and causing diatom blooms in controlling these types, but I don't think anything very concrete has developed out of these experiments so far.   (@taricha on R2R is the main one I know of who's experimenting.  There is a thread on

12 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

(missing your part of the post from that post I think  😉)

Trying to post from url from YouTube.   Took some terrible video tonight.   Best I could do with this scope. For some reason it wont upload.  I have never had this trouble before.🤔

• Like 1

Just want to say as frustrating as this has been,  you guys who have helped so much have been great.  Keep up the good work.  Maybe someday I'll be able to help someone with this problem. 

• Like 1

Maybe a better vid for the motion of them (same Utube feed):

(Is that @taricha's feed?   Could just be me but I think some of those vids look familiar.)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

This is a decent read

Best thing on dino's I've seen outside of my R2R thread....and first time I've seen this one.  Nice!  Looks like it's been on Google's radar since 2018.

Mostly the same info I've been propagating (no surprise).  A few minor things off....but also has some interesting details. 

Always nicer to see folks put the effort into participating in the discussion than it is to see the material "dead-ended" on a page like that though.  There's no way to question the info you're being given on a page like that.  I want folks to be able to ask questions and understand.

(I only keep supporting materials for the dino thread on my blog, FWIW.  You can drop me a comment there on one of the posts if you want, but I keep the real presence and conversation in the forums on purpose.)

@justinkdenny here is the camera mount I have for my scope:

61YFds9KriL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Smartphone-Camera-Mount-Microscope/dp/B073G7JQSK

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Best thing on dino's I've seen outside of my R2R thread....and first time I've seen this one.  Nice!  Looks like it's been on Google's radar since 2018.

Mostly the same info I've been propagating (no surprise).  A few minor things off....but also has some interesting details. 

Always nicer to see folks put the effort into participating in the discussion than it is to see the material "dead-ended" on a page like that though.  There's no way to question the info you're being given on a page like that.  I want folks to be able to ask questions and understand.

(I only keep supporting materials for the dino thread on my blog, FWIW.  You can drop me a comment there on one of the posts if you want, but I keep the real presence and conversation in the forums on purpose.)

@justinkdenny here is the camera mount I have for my scope:

61YFds9KriL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Smartphone-Camera-Mount-Microscope/dp/B073G7JQSK

I was really happy to see the article because when I researched the subject, there were too many articles that veered towards methods I saw were not working for ppl.

• Like 1
On 12/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, Clown79 said:

there were too many articles that veered towards methods I saw were not working for ppl.

You get the 2020 award for Understatement Of The Year on that one.  OMG the things people were doing before....literally the craziest stuff I've seen or heard of in reefing.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

You get the 2020 award for Understatement Of The Year on that one.  OMG the things people were doing before....literally the craziest stuff I've seen or heard of in reefing.

It was scary what I read and even worse was reading the multitude of things 1 individual would attempt.

• Like 1

Right around the sign-up date on your account may have been the beginning of that whole mania....almost exactly 1 year later in March 2017 is when I couldn't take it anymore and opened my Dino thread and began purposefully steering folks from the dedicated-crazy threads.  LOL   While my thread took a ton of traffic, the crazy didn't just stop tho....oh no.....in Aug 2018, as the crazy continued, I had to open this thead: Weird Reef Trends – Bleach  (Poll:  "Best use for bleach:  White sock?  White rocks?"  🤣)

Didn't seem like the mania unfolded here at n-r.com they way it did elsewhere thankfully.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Right around the sign-up date on your account may have been the beginning of that whole mania....almost exactly 1 year later in March 2017 is when I couldn't take it anymore and opened my Dino thread and began purposefully steering folks from the dedicated-crazy threads.  LOL   While my thread took a ton of traffic, the crazy didn't just stop tho....oh no.....in Aug 2018, as the crazy continued, I had to open this thead: Weird Reef Trends – Bleach  (Poll:  "Best use for bleach:  White sock?  White rocks?"  🤣)

Didn't seem like the mania unfolded here at n-r.com they way it did elsewhere thankfully.

Omg when I read of bleach, it scared the crap out of me.

Yup it will kill dino's and a lot of other beneficial things. 

Everyone who was successful at getting dino's back in check used natural methods that have been backed by science and research.

It's an ecosystem, it all works together, 1part of the chain broken can lead to a multitude of issues. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Omg when I read of bleach, it scared the crap out of me.

Yup it will kill dino's and a lot of other beneficial things. 

Everyone who was successful at getting dino's back in check used natural methods that have been backed by science and research.

It's an ecosystem, it all works together, 1part of the chain broken can lead to a multitude of issues. 

People have actually dosed bleach to their tank. Acro' tanks no less 😉 I believe it has to do with 'chasing ORP' - always something new to chase!

So when I hear people worried about some tap water or whats on their hands, I have a little smile... IF ONLY THEY KNEW the stuff people put in their tank voluntarily. 

FYI the tank looked just fine with its twice daily clorox 😱😎

BTW I am not condoning the use of bleach in a tank, I have never tried it myself (I have never been that crazy yet) so can't say what bad may come.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

People have actually dosed bleach to their tank. Acro' tanks no less 😉 I believe it has to do with 'chasing ORP' - always something new to chase!

So when I hear people worried about some tap water or whats on their hands, I have a little smile... IF ONLY THEY KNEW the stuff people put in their tank voluntarily. 

FYI the tank looked just fine with its twice daily clorox 😱😎

BTW I am not condoning the use of bleach in a tank, I have never tried it myself (I have never been that crazy yet) so can't say what bad may come.

I do the same thing about the minor worries we hear about considering I've heard of bleach dosing(I have definitely never tried this and far too scared to) I've heard of milk dosing, and slew of other things.

11 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Never heard of that usage.   Wow.

Big long thread of it on reef2reef 🙂

nano reef hasn't gotten that crazy yet 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2