justinkdenny

Dino's?

j.falk

Algae is a good sign.  It's a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

mcarroll
2 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

I have got my nitrates up to around 15 ppm so I have backed off on dosing that and have struggled to show a reading with phosphates  using salifert kit.  We decided it might be .003 ppm.  I have dosed it along side of the nitrate from brightwell as well as heavy feeding .

Dose twice as much or twice as often (or more) to get phosphates up to >=0.10 ppm.   If you test an hour after dosing and phosphates are already reduced back to near-zero, then dose again.

You can't overdose.  And if you're seeing it used up that quickly, then it's being used up for very good reasons.  Reasons that you want to facilitate until you end up with >=0.10 ppm leftover in the water.   That's when you can relax and just test daily, or even maybe stop dosing, depending on how the tank overall responds.

• Like 4

justinkdenny
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Dose twice as much or twice as often (or more) to get phosphates up to >=0.10 ppm.   If you test an hour after dosing and phosphates are already reduced back to near-zero, then dose again.

You can't overdose.  And if you're seeing it used up that quickly, then it's being used up for very good reasons.  Reasons that you want to facilitate until you end up with >=0.10 ppm leftover in the water.   That's when you can relax and just test daily, or even maybe stop dosing, depending on how the tank overall responds.

Thanks, I will try this

• Like 1

Amphrites
5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

That's an interesting approach, I'm assuming the same could be done with nitrates?

• Like 1

justinkdenny
On 10/10/2019 at 11:59 AM, mcarroll said:

Well I finally got a noticable phosphate reading.  Between 0.1 and 0.25 when I tested after dosing.   Going to check again in the morning to see if it is getting used up.  When I turn all lights 100% on prime hd,  which is alot white,  you can see alot more green algea.  I think I can see pink coralline algae too.

• Like 2

Amphrites

Be sure it isn't cyano, it's easy to swing from one to the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

mcarroll
11 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Be sure it isn't cyano, it's easy to swing from one to the other.

All good, IMO. 

If it's cyano, it's still a step away from dino's.  👊   It would also only be a phase before either green algae or coralline takes hold.  Can't recall any cases where cyano lasted long enough to talk this much about, but look I did it anyway.  😄 

• Like 1

Amphrites

Yeah, but you can, and probably should, manually remove it without a razor blade lol.