Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Sea ReefLED 50 for SPS?

Sinkable

I have not been able to find a solid answer for this question anywhere. 

I ordered the Red Sea Max NANO and it comes with a REEFLED 50. Will this be sufficient for SPS, LPS, and all corals? My tank plan is to be heavy corals with just 2 clownfish so I want to get the right light. 

Take a look at the BRS video on the Reef LED 90. I'd imagine par would be a bit over half the values they tested, based on watts, The tank is basically a 18"x18"x18" cube, with the back sump taking up a couple inches.  running SPS up near the surface and LPS lower might work, but you would be running the light at or near max to create PAR near the sweet spot for SPS in the top 6 inches. I'd say if your tank was not as deep, it would work, but you'd want a more powerful light if you want SPS to thrive. 

I just ordered one of them for my EVO 13.5, which is 11.5" deep. I think it will be perfect for my LPS tank. 

10 hours ago, Garf said:

I just ordered one of them for my EVO 13.5, which is 11.5" deep. I think it will be perfect for my LPS tank. 

I just received my ReefLED 50 for my Evo and installed it last night.  I haven't really had a chance to see it run through a full cycle but I do like what I have seen up to this point.  The only down side is to the mount. If you mount it on the back of the middle chamber, the light will not be centered in the tank.  The mount needs to be about another 3" longer.  I may have to move the mount to the side of the tank.  I was contemplating on going with a ReefLED 90 mount but it would raise the light higher off the water and may not be powerful enough depending on what you plan to grow.

8 hours ago, Butchhe said:

I just received my ReefLED 50 for my Evo and installed it last night.  I haven't really had a chance to see it run through a full cycle but I do like what I have seen up to this point.  The only down side is to the mount. If you mount it on the back of the middle chamber, the light will not be centered in the tank.  The mount needs to be about another 3" longer.  I may have to move the mount to the side of the tank.  I was contemplating on going with a ReefLED 90 mount but it would raise the light higher off the water and may not be powerful enough depending on what you plan to grow.

Ya, I was thinking it may be possible to mount it on the divider to the back area. I was expecting to mod something to make it reach closer to the center. 

On 9/7/2019 at 5:16 PM, Garf said:

Ya, I was thinking it may be possible to mount it on the divider to the back area. I was expecting to mod something to make it reach closer to the center. 

You could do that for sure.  I already had my screen top made and didn't feel like redoing it.  It actually works well for my situation since the highest part of the rock formations are directly under the offset of the light vs the center of the tank.  It might work out well for a few of the more challenging SPS. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just installed my Reef LED 50. Clearview Lids messed up my lid, put the cutouts on the long side of the lid, which is completely wrong for a peninsula tank. I had to mount the light on the back glass, and the light is about 1.5" away from centered over the display. 

Does anyone know if the Reef LED 90 and 50 mounting holes are the same distance apart? if so, it looks like I can get the 90 mounting arms in the size I need. 

I am running my LED50 the same way as you and asked Red Sea if the LED90 arms would fit, which they told me they do.  They said that raises the light up higher so it would have an impact on the PAR but on the EVO, I don't think it would make a difference being that it is such a shallow tank.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 3:52 AM, Garf said:

Take a look at the BRS video on the Reef LED 90. I'd imagine par would be a bit over half the values they tested, based on watts, The tank is basically a 18"x18"x18" cube, with the back sump taking up a couple inches.  running SPS up near the surface and LPS lower might work, but you would be running the light at or near max to create PAR near the sweet spot for SPS in the top 6 inches. I'd say if your tank was not as deep, it would work, but you'd want a more powerful light if you want SPS to thrive. 

What % intensity do you run it on your Evo?