Innovative Marine Aquariums

Water Evaporation Issue - 25G IM Lagoon

JuicyJJuice

Hi Reefers, 

I need to go away for the weekend Friday Morning to Sunday afternoon. Typically I have someone come and feed and top up water as the tank tends to evaporate quite a bit. Unfortunately this weekend every one I know is away or unavailable. 

So my question is: Is it ok to fill up the tank well above the partitions? My concern is not so much food but the pump running dry. Alternatively, should I turn the pump off and leave my wave maker on?

Thanks!

Thrassian Atoll

I think the best thing to do is try and limit the evaporation over the weekend.  I don’t know what your setup is or how your house is though.  The things I am thinking of is possibly leaving the lights off, having less water movement on the surface, maybe covering some of the tank, keeping the house humid, limit air flowing across the tank.  

The issue with filling the tank up higher is decreasing the salinity.  I am not sure what the number would change too, but I would be cautious.  

Your not giving yourself much leeway though as it’s already Friday.  I would definitely look into an ATO when you get back.

• Like 1

I know my jbj 45 evaporated a lot of water,  but no way it run dry in that amount of time. Might look like a protein skimmer is running in the tank, but I don't see it going dry. It IS safe to over fill. I've done it many times.  But there are many variables to water evaporation.