Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

10g Nano

Gpd605

Hey guys! First time getting into the Nano spectrum of the reef. I've got a 75g that I've had for a few years and my son who is 10 has been begging for a tank so I figured I'd follow Inappropriate Reefer's Budget build. It's just a standard 10g tank. Using a Aquaclear 70 and a standard heater. I'm currently using my old Orbit Marine LED light but would like to use my SB Reef Black box but I have to get clever with a mounting solution if I want my filter on the side. I want it on the side because its also going to provide me with flow in the tank. I took some rock, filter pad and sponge out of my established 75g tank and put it in here so no cycling required. Let it run for a few days then threw my Lemon Damsel in from my 75. He was getting beat up by my snowflake clown so I figured this would be a nice home for him. He wants a mandarin goby so I need to figure out how to keep pods in there for it so it doesn't starve. Maybe a clown or 2 then move the damsel back into the 75 and my clowns into this one but not 100% sure on it. Anyway, here's some pics! 

When I had the SB Reef light on it and the filter in the middle. The filter is too strong and blows the sand away so that's the reason the filter is on the side like it is but I can't mount the lights if I do that.

bqNAPvR.jpg

Trying out as a Peninsula style tank. Not ideal for where its at but this tank is easily moved to suit it if need be

4DEMYnu.jpg

DXo0xiE.jpg

Turned it back to normal until I figure out what I want.

SCxaIBA.jpg

Also put a zoa and green leather in there 

1XLu05U.jpg

rdaUWl7.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good! Welcome to NR! I'm sure you and your son will love nano reefing - it's so easy to address issues, keep up with maintenances, and they can fill out pretty quick - looking forward to seeing this grow    :]

Welcome! The peninsula style looks great and having the filter on the side works well. Im sure you know how mandarins can deplete a pod population in a smaller system, so I don't see any way of maintaining that population without either adding live pods daily or having a refugium. Hopefully someone who is successfully caring for a Mandarin  in a nano tank will chime in. 

Looking forward to the progress.

• Like 1