Jump to content
Bec1750

Help!!! What are these?!?

Recommended Posts

Bec1750

We seem to have these little buggers in our tank. We went to the local salt water fish store yesterday and the guy said they are worms? He told us to get a 6 line wrasse to eat them so we did. He seems to be eating some but there are a ton of them in our tank. I think they are killing our rose bubble tip :( does anyone know if they are worms? If not what are they? Any tips advice anything and everything is welcome. We need help! Thank you! :) 65242A80-DDBF-492B-A45D-A703570D1886.thumb.jpeg.b70cf883e6b830071d90dbe948095fc5.jpeg

F5137F18-39B1-4E30-87F9-513602C09679.jpeg

651B74F7-4A47-4963-9EF4-3C4DAA13035D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
5 minutes ago, Bec1750 said:

We seem to have these little buggers in our tank. We went to the local salt water fish store yesterday and the guy said they are worms? He told us to get a 6 line wrasse to eat them so we did. He seems to be eating some but there are a ton of them in our tank. I think they are killing our rose bubble tip 😞 does anyone know if they are worms? If not what are they? Any tips advice anything and everything is welcome. We need help! Thank you! 🙂65242A80-DDBF-492B-A45D-A703570D1886.thumb.jpeg.b70cf883e6b830071d90dbe948095fc5.jpeg

F5137F18-39B1-4E30-87F9-513602C09679.jpeg

651B74F7-4A47-4963-9EF4-3C4DAA13035D.jpeg

 

Looks like an amphipod to me. Good guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Bec1750
7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

 

Looks like an amphipod to me. Good guys. 

My son thought the same thing but the guy yesterday said worms. If they are an amphipod would they be killing our rose bubble tip? Cause whatever they are we did find them the other day inside our bubble tip and she isn’t looking very good lately 😞 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
Just now, Bec1750 said:

My son thought the same thing but the guy yesterday said worms. If they are an amphipod would they be killing our rose bubble tip? Cause whatever they are we did find them the other day inside our bubble tip and she isn’t looking very good lately 😞 

 

Definitely not worms.

 

Amphipods can eat dead or dying tissue if they have no other food.  

Share this post


Link to post
Bec1750
12 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

 

Definitely not worms.

 

Amphipods can eat dead or dying tissue if they have no other food.  

I just went to take a pic of our bubble tip for you and this is what I found. She’s never looked like this. 

D076210B-CFBC-4571-BDBB-016DDDEDC5D3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
5 minutes ago, Bec1750 said:

I just went to take a pic of our bubble tip for you and this is what I found. She’s never looked like this. 

D076210B-CFBC-4571-BDBB-016DDDEDC5D3.jpeg

That looks pretty bad but I doubt they killed it..... more like they took advantage of the situation. 

 

Give us all the tank details..... is the tank new? What did the anemone look like when you got it? Lights? Parameters? 

Share this post


Link to post
Bec1750
20 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That looks pretty bad but I doubt they killed it..... more like they took advantage of the situation. 

 

Give us all the tank details..... is the tank new? What did the anemone look like when you got it? Lights? Parameters? 

It’s a 32 gallon bio cube. We haven’t made any modifications to anything so it’s “stock” I guess you would say. We’ve had the tank since December and it has definitely been through some stuff lol. We got the bubble tip back in feb. we also had 2 clowns and 1 of the puffers that don’t get big in there. I’m forgetting the name of the puffer at the moment. The clowns and the puffer died about a month or two ago. The bubble tip seemed to be doing fine even after they died. We’ve been feeding the bubble tip since there was nothing to host it. Algae had seems to be a real problem for us so we did a water change. Over the past week we noticed she was acting weird and we also noticed those bugs. The guy yesterday at the fish store told us to do a 10 gallon water change so we did that yesterday. They tested our water and all was good with that. So we bought a baby clown and a wrasse so they have been in there since yesterday. The bubble tip literally floated like not attached to anything just floating in the water around all night and then seemed to be attached this morning and then saw the pic I posted before this. 

7CA240A9-2380-4673-8669-BFEC8844C8AB.jpeg

5EA6CD64-C411-4AF0-8076-4AB914581826.jpeg

A07A3BFB-8927-4C27-BB3D-3F6F18892183.jpeg

FDCA9689-3D69-423E-9CAF-00893CD03B3C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Txplicit

Looking at your specs and tank and what your lfs said:

1. I can only assume algae bloom that bad means high phosphate or nitrate.  The fact that 2 fishes died also leads to water parameters issues.

2. The fact that your lfs told you all is ok scares me.  Did you show them the pictures? 

 

Fishes are more hardy than nems.  If they didn't make it, something is polluting.  Furthermore, the algae is suffocating the nem.  

 

Not chastising in any way so pls don't take offense.  Just pointing out that there is a water issue you should be looking for, hence the algae blooms uncontrollably.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
classlesseagle3

Agreed with the above problem. I'd look into whether you're tank is cycled properly and sort of start from square one again. Take it slow! I wouldn't be adding fish for at the minimum two weeks, if not a month. Good luck with the reboot. We've all been there!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...