Cultivated Reef

On 2/24/2020 at 8:12 AM, Ratvan said:

Looking for battery backup, leaning this way at the moment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Back-UPS-BE700G-UK-Uninterruptible-protected/dp/B002RXED6A/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=ice+cap+battery+backup&qid=1582553434&sr=8-1-fkmr2,

will keep 4 plugs running, return, heater, light and controller?/or both powerheads

I’ve tried those they suck. The battery only lasts about 30 seconds in reality because these tanks pull so much power.

2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I’ve tried those they suck. The battery only lasts about 30 seconds in reality because these tanks pull so much power.

What did you have on it? Had my heater and return on it for 8 hours today before it konked out

• Like 1
Just now, Ratvan said:

What did you have on it? Had my heater and return on it for 8 hours today before it konked out

Heater, return and wave maker. Still wouldn’t work. We don’t lose power too often thankfully, and I have a gas stove, so I can heat water if needed and I have battery operated air pumps for every tank. 

• Like 1
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Heater, return and wave maker. Still wouldn’t work. We don’t lose power too often thankfully, and I have a gas stove, so I can heat water if needed and I have battery operated air pumps for every tank. 

Just timing to see when it's recharged now, it's better than nothing

NPG are "Upgrading the cables in my area" from today onwards, planned outage for 4 consecutive sundays  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That sounds to me like you may not have done the math on your kWh usage, or might have received a lemon.
I can vouch for my small UPS' ability to drive the 3w sicce return pump in my tank for nearly a day.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Proxo said:

bang a complete in if they didn't warn you of there been no power, might get a bit of coin 🙂

Done it already with Photographs of losses, hope they don't find me on here.. 

I love the tank but its both too big and not big enough, I can't just up and move the thing home, nowhere to put it and f*ck storing it downstairs to move it again when I get my own place. Also would like some more room, somewhere safe for the heater to be placed. So smaller nano or larger sumped system. I'd want a new stand for this if I were to sump it... 

I'd love to get one of the biocube 16s, but that's like rocking horse shit over here

I'll get it back on track over the next few weeks. This cold snap shouldn't last too long to bring ambiant temperature up to the 70s (21c) will give me some time to think about what I want to do and where to go with it. Got short term back up in place so how worse could it get. 

Also Pico move tomorrow so something to distract me and full clean of back and media trays again. 

• Like 3

So numbers for this morning, after basically washing out the tank in the last week with freshly mixed saltwater

A little cooler then I would like but the fluctuations in temperature are acceptable for me -/+ 1f so i dont really see a lot of point in stressing trying to increase this. 

Temperature 75F/24C

Salinity 1.024

PH 7.8

Alk 8 DKH

NH3 0

NO2 0

NO3 1

PO4 0.2

Calcium 420

Mag 1300

So the plan is do nothing for a month, maybe get back the Wrasses and Filefish for the tank, look into soft corals that will grow easily and not be eaten by anything. Maybe complete the stocking with a large Blenny and or a Damsel or another Wrasse

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So the plan is do nothing for a month,

Someone mark the calendar. I am having trouble believing this.

maybe get back the Wrasses and Filefish for the tank, look into soft corals that will grow easily and not be eaten by anything. Maybe complete the stocking with a large Blenny and or a Damsel or another Wrasse

Never mind the very next sentence is all about doing some thing. 

• Haha 6

So the numbers after the weekend

Temperature 75F/24C

Salinity 1.024

PH 7.8

Alk 8 DKH

NH3 0

NO2 0

NO3 1

PO4 0.2

Calcium 420

Mag 1300

Nice to see some stability in these for a change, friday will do a water change to keep myself in the habit. Depending on the parameters maybe able to use that water for my Pico

• Like 1

So the numbers after the weekend

Temperature 75F/24C

Salinity 1.024

PH 7.8

Alk 8 DKH

NH3 0

NO2 0

NO3 1

PO4 0.2

Calcium 420

Mag 1300

Nice to see some stability in these for a change, friday will do a water change to keep myself in the habit. Depending on the parameters maybe able to use that water for my Pico

Some pretty nice numbers there! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ime, and from my reading, once any algae gets some height and structure most CUC won't touch it and you may need to remove it manually.

Supposed occasional exceptions are turbos, urchins, and crabs if you get lucky. Otherwise big herbivorous fish sometimes go for it as a snack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1