Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

On 1/19/2020 at 2:06 AM, Proxo said:

Kill that aiptasia, i regret killing the first one i had due to been lazy thinking meh later.
now it's everywhere in my tank, not so much in big colonies but how it got to the other side idk 😄

Tank looking good though, might have to ask your experience on some stocking 😛

Well seems that Pele has done his job, no Aiptasia on that section of Zoa's or at all in the tank if I am being honest.

Most of the Zoa's are now opening which is nice to see again all except these ones, these haven't really been open or colourful since I upgraded the ASTA 20 LED to the Kessil A80, I think that perhaps these require lower light levels 🤷‍♂️

20191119_182719.thumb.jpg.0c0768d6af689e3328158b52870dee34.jpg.20cba9c7bc4a4d698c18ff9d5955aa76.jpg

Strangely i have seen a lot more of my Clean up Crew this morning than I usually do 

@Proxo What sort of stocking you wanting? 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

He will eat various Live, Frozen, Pellets and Flake foods. 

Just watch...……..I had one that ate all the aptasia in the tank and also was eating food...……..well it then decided to go after some corals and my clam...….:rant:lets just say the 30 dollar fish took out a clam that was not replaceable...……….

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, spectra said:

Just watch...……..I had one that ate all the aptasia in the tank and also was eating food...……..well it then decided to go after some corals and my clam...….:rant:lets just say the 30 dollar fish took out a clam that was not replaceable...……….

Wow, I have had Pele in here since October 2019, first time I put Aiptasia in the tank was over the weekend

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, spectra said:

Mine ate a RM 350 RFA. Loved him though because he was so unique in the tank. 

• Sad 2
  • Wow 3

The only "reef safe" are supposedly the whitespot pygmys, there are a few from ausland which look like little-leaves who'd probably work out well, but they don't exist in the hobby best-I-can-tell. ORA swears by their whitespots, to the point they have a bunch in a display with corals.

• Like 1

If you find a filefish or puffer that's reef safe I want to know about it. In the 11 years of importing I have yet to find one that won't snack on shit they shouldn't. Canthigaster puffers WILL eat zoanthids and anemones of any type. The Orange Spot Fiji puffer we have went through zoanthids like Fat Bastard at an All-U-Can-Eat buffet. M was NOT amused when Toby mauled her prize zoanthids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be willing to wager these lil' blokes might be (northern and southern leatherjacket pygmys), but they don't seem to be collected (probably don't ship well or are hard to spot?) That said, most non-paywall literature lists them as "omnivores", which I believe is colloquial for "sod-off we're not sure".

https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/923
https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2469
https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/animals/fishes/southern-pygmy-leatherjacket-brachaluteres-jacksonianus/

• Like 2
On 1/6/2020 at 6:49 AM, Ratvan said:

Yes! I have been using them to weigh down my Macro Algae's 

@jack1978 bit shakey but here we go

On 1/6/2020 at 7:27 AM, jack1978 said:

That’s great!

i had a file in my cube way back when ..... she was awesome.  During tank maintenace she would swim to the surface and spit water at me ...... I have a video buried somewhere in my cube thread. 
Thanks for the video!

Here she is ...... I had just taken down the LPS and switched to softies and all new rockwork if I remember correctly.  Anyway, she was not happy with the condition of her home.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Here she is ...... I had just taken down the LPS and switched to softies and all new rockwork if I remember correctly.  Anyway, she was not happy with the condition of her home.  

That is adorable, what sort of Filefish?

9 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you find a filefish or puffer that's reef safe I want to know about it. In the 11 years of importing I have yet to find one that won't snack on shit they shouldn't. Canthigaster puffers WILL eat zoanthids and anemones of any type. The Orange Spot Fiji puffer we have went through zoanthids like Fat Bastard at an All-U-Can-Eat buffet. M was NOT amused when Toby mauled her prize zoanthids.

I actually wanted a puffer when I went into the LFS, I had been watching a Saddle Valentini Puffer for about two weeks. I'd also seen this guy in another tank and he'd always swim forwards and display at me, that is what sold it for me. What is actually classed as reef safe? Now Pele is working through my Duster Worms with the Kunti (Yellow Coris) 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I'd be willing to wager these lil' blokes might be (northern and southern leatherjacket pygmys), but they don't seem to be collected (probably don't ship well or are hard to spot?) That said, most non-paywall literature lists them as "omnivores", which I believe is colloquial for "sod-off we're not sure".

https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/923
https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2469
https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/animals/fishes/southern-pygmy-leatherjacket-brachaluteres-jacksonianus/

The problem with inshore fish is that they're loaded with parasites and nobody wants to deal with that. Files, triggers and puffers ship pretty well for the most part. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I actually wanted a puffer when I went into the LFS, I had been watching a Saddle Valentini Puffer for about two weeks. I'd also seen this guy in another tank and he'd always swim forwards and display at me, that is what sold it for me. What is actually classed as reef safe? Now Pele is working through my Duster Worms with the Kunti (Yellow Coris) 

Mimic Saddle Puffer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

The problem with inshore fish is that they're loaded with parasites and nobody wants to deal with that. Files, triggers and puffers ship pretty well for the most part. 

I would gladly deal with it for one of the chubby little spheres XD
Dead serious, would set up a second system and test to see if they were coral munchers after a long and thorough medicated-stint.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I don't consider any puffer or file. I have a mated pair of Blue Throat triggers in the 300 at the shop and they're model citizens.

5 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I would gladly deal with it for one of the chubby little spheres XD
Dead serious, would set up a second system and test to see if they were coral munchers after a long and thorough medicated-stint.

I sent off an email to my collector in Oz to see if he can collect them for me. It could also be that they are only from a protected area down there. I'll know Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

I don't consider any puffer or file. I have a mated pair of Blue Throat triggers in the 300 at the shop and they're model citizens.

1. I want to see that set up, have I missed it anywhere? 

2. I forget I would love to see those Triggers

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I sent off an email to my collector in Oz to see if he can collect them for me. It could also be that they are only from a protected area down there. I'll know Saturday.

If they are, in fact, algae grazers and pod-munchers who can be acclimated to prepared/dry foods - and they leave corals alone - @ 2.5 cm they would near-instantly become a heavily-demanded fish methinks. That said, someone has to have tried it lol, they're too pretty and too obvious a candidate (plus a least-concern species) for there to not be some reason one bloke or another before us hasn't successfully brought them to market.

Also sorry to hijack Ratvan XD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

If they are, in fact, algae grazers and pod-munchers who can be acclimated to prepared/dry foods - and they leave corals alone - @ 2.5 cm they would near-instantly become a heavily-demanded fish methinks. That said, someone has to have tried it lol, they're too pretty and too obvious a candidate (plus a least-concern species) for there to not be some reason one bloke or another before us hasn't successfully brought them to market.

I learned about a new fish. I'm good. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I'd give them a try, I'm adventurous. Someone posted pics of one on IG, but damn if I can find it. Another really cool critter is the Long Horn Cowfish from the Caribbean. I know some fish won't touch things if you take them from an area that what you have in your tank isn't. Emporer angels and kleinii butterflys are 2 that I can think of off the top of my head. I've kept both of those 2 in reef tanks for years with no issues, but I'm not into sticks. I'm really hoping that the triggers will spawn in the next year, I'd love to try raising them.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 10/9/2019 at 9:01 PM, StinkyBunny said:

Yea, that shell is NOT a Strombid shell mate, do be careful. You said it felt like a bee sting, I'm betting you got a dose of toxin. And guess what? There are several Strombids that are poisonous as well.

@StinkyBunny remember this guy?

20191009_125250.thumb.jpg.671b230ecf8d35e45199413f3f9009b3.jpg.8f17f627299b22edca184f0355c1d421.jpg

20191009_125258.thumb.jpg.390f9511d522d5878477d84d040763ce.jpg.5a12c6c3dcb534e65f61569bfa6734eb.jpg

Are these "Driller Killers"? As in will they make a small hole in the snail's shell and suck them up through it?

Very similar to the below holes but on Cerith Shells (and similar)

shell-holes.jpg.d7f9dfa2319194605df143b98cf16b3d.jpg

• Wow 2