ReefCleaners.org

45 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I love those razorfish! We have a few of them in a display at work; I'll try to grab a picture for you next time I am on site. If I remember correctly their vertical orientation is an adaptation for hiding between the spines of sea urchins, especially long-spined urchins from the genus Diadema. I do not believe they require a particularly large amount of swimming space, so if they were more commonly available they'd probably make a reasonably good candidate for display in a nano tank. A species tank with some razorfish and a large urchin for them to hide in would be pretty cool to see!

What do they eat exactly? I've always wondered - their mouths seem tiny, so I assume copepods (?), but I'm not sure. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

What do they eat exactly? I've always wondered - their mouths seem tiny, so I assume copepods (?), but I'm not sure. 🤔

When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. The diet should consist of small live invertebrates such as vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, baby guppies, grass shrimp, mosquito larva, and daphnia. It needs to be fed at least three times per day.

From Liveaquaria Page 😄 

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1690/?pcatid=1690

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. The diet should consist of small live invertebrates such as vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, baby guppies, grass shrimp, mosquito larva, and daphnia. It needs to be fed at least three times per day.

From Liveaquaria Page 😄 

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1690/?pcatid=1690

Sounds like a flattened, vertically-challenged pipefish to me. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
41 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

At work I think we feed them some kind of small live crustaceans, like maybe adult brine shrimp or live mysids. They have a weird fused-looking mouth that reminds me a lot of a seahorse (or, yeah, a pipefish!) so I assume they'd be eating a lot of the same foods. Sure sounds like a lot of trouble to keep them in a home aquarium though! That's probably why you never see them in the hobby. 😅

• Like 4

They're called Shrimpfish or Razorfish, same thing. They have a different name depending on which list I'm looking at. They eat pretty much anything, they're not super picky, they just need small foods.

• Like 3

So seems that someone made an addition while I was gone, pretty sure I would have seen this otherwise?

20191203_090258.thumb.jpg.aeb666a38410d17efd6fc40b4c85afb9.jpg

3 people from this office are currently using up the remaining holidays for the year. I will ask who added it (they might even get a Christmas Card)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 3
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So seems that someone made an addition while I was gone, pretty sure I would have seen this otherwise?

20191203_090258.thumb.jpg.aeb666a38410d17efd6fc40b4c85afb9.jpg

3 people from this office are currently using up the remaining holidays for the year. I will ask who added it (they might even get a Christmas Card)

That is awesome!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, jack1978 said:

That is awesome!

Well it was the Apprentice, so someone is getting hired full time after Christmas. 👍

20191204_092609.thumb.jpg.64c475784d55cb4cced16709a10626d4.jpg

So had to do some Lobophyllia care this morning, getting a little tired of having to baste sand off off my Lobo's thanks to the sand dwelling Wrasses every morning so made a little coral plate riser. Simple case of Rock Plate, coral frag plugs and some superglue gel. 

That should work

20191204_092437.thumb.jpg.b2274eb1aa2662295992d4a1ed7243a4.jpg

Having a similar issue with my Trumpets and anything on the sand really apart from that plate who has moved itself to the otherside of the tank 🤷‍♂️

20191204_092443.thumb.jpg.5fdcda1988cb8b459970bf44641bfd8a.jpg

Excuse the Cyano, the tank was well looked after if a little overfed 😄

Need to Frag that Soleria Sp macro Algae as well again soon. 

Stig (Tuxedo Urchin) is well behaved at the moment and not picked up anything apart from loose Macro Algae and the occasional snail 

• Like 5

Lol, the wonders of an office tank! You come back from vacation and suddenly there is a sea urchin. 😂

I love your Lobo condo! That's really a great idea. I've considered making some sort of similar structure to help convince my jawfish to settle down (e.g. one of those bury-able PVC "burrows" to stick in the sand) but I've read that jawfish do better when they are allowed to burrow on their own with natural materials, so... 🤷‍♂️

Also just out of curiosity, what intensity and color settings is your Kessil A360 maxing out at?

4 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Lol, the wonders of an office tank! You come back from vacation and suddenly there is a sea urchin. 😂

I love your Lobo condo! That's really a great idea. I've considered making some sort of similar structure to help convince my jawfish to settle down (e.g. one of those bury-able PVC "burrows" to stick in the sand) but I've read that jawfish do better when they are allowed to burrow on their own with natural materials, so... 🤷‍♂️

Also just out of curiosity, what intensity and color settings is your Kessil A360 maxing out at?

It's still in acclimation mode it'll finish on 6th January when I get back from the Holidays. So not sure exactly where we are at but working its way to 59% Blue and 25% White (I dont like lots of white) and the Blues are subtle.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

No, no, no, you have to say it like Boris Becker did, Schtig, lol. Goddamn I miss that show.

See you're going with this guy

The Stig

stig2.jpg.bbf7626879ac246d06959edbefa1e2ee.jpg

Whereas I'm talking Stig of the Dump

hqdefault.jpg.0b316ca62339c269e22bf22515cbc2e4.jpg

In other news, the Wrasses continue to irritate me....stop trashing the place while i'm trying to make it pretty for you

20191205_102155.thumb.jpg.8b44222f45137b9b8ec664944f821a0b.jpg

I watched the Yellow attack the Frag plugs holding it up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So my LFS called this lunch time as they had their delivery

Interested in these two

Princess Damselfish - https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/2563/ocellate-damselfish?pcatid=2563&c=15+2563

Swissguard Basslet - https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/57/swissguard-basslet?pcatid=57&c=15+57

Definitely sceptical on the Damsel, that Basslet was nice and nowhere near the price of that one on LiveAquaria 

• Like 1

Not the greatest photos today

Think my Torch is forming a new head or two

20191206_131444.thumb.jpg.53e6d56deb6748ce4f26048f626cb816.jpg20191206_131425.thumb.jpg.2e70487ab57dd7fef72f6bf2113b35e7.jpg

Fungia Plate enjoying it's Coral Num Nums

20191206_124319.thumb.jpg.b5fb4f02811af75e26ad76c699767d50.jpg20191206_130951.thumb.jpg.70f89d323d2340a439e951d348a3246f.jpg

Fat B#stard Blenny - He loves them crab sticks

20191206_124343.thumb.jpg.4b8fbb1ae50d7e8b1d66d9508cb38ee6.jpg

Yellow Coris Wrasse chasing down the Artemis blizzard 

20191206_124416.thumb.jpg.d90aa9e8c46fb5fce597fb40f3e3704b.jpg

• Like 4

Right then, ready for the Christmas break with this tank. Managed to find an autofeeder that has been running since Monday. Nice that it hasn't dumped the whole lot in the tank like previous versions have done, got the ATO dialled in as well now just need to remember to refill the reservoir before I leave

I have a happy Filefish with the new Macro's. Pele hangs out underneath the Macro shelf

20191213_115434.thumb.jpg.cec0456d46afe36019dbcf8548b08075.jpg

The urchin has found the Glass! At long last!

• Like 6
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Really loving how friendly Pele is at the moment, tempted to see if he will take flake from my hands...

That this is so cool.. filefish?

• Thanks 1
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That this is so cool.. filefish?

Yeah, actively looking for a female to try and pair him up. Really fun fish to watch, so far not nipped any corals and eats almost anything I put in. No Aiptasia in the tank so dont know if it actually eats it. Dont want to test that out. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yeah, actively looking for a female to try and pair him up. Really fun fish to watch, so far not nipped any corals and eats almost anything I put in. No Aiptasia in the tank so dont know if it actually eats it. Dont want to test that out. 

Sweet I love it :smilie:. good work sir :wink:

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy new year all!

So the reef has been completely unattended since my last post. Returned to work today. It is not yet 10am and have seen both Red Headed Gobies, TSB, Filefish (begging for flake as usual) Leopard Wrasse and Urchin. 

Usually my Yellow/Canary Wrasse sleeps in a little longer so not too concerned about her just yet. I will start worrying and checking back chambers around lunch time if i don't spot her. The Pico however did not survive as well 

• Like 6