SaltCritters.com

11 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Good luck 👍 😁

It's hard to not get anything. I did good this weekend and only snagged that one little chromis. Pretty little fish. Now I hope he doesn't jump out. I'm hoping that him seeing the cats he'll think twice abou jumping out 🤣

They had a Tanaka Wrasse and a "breeding" pair of yellow watchman gobies with candy cane shrimp......

Walked out with 6 snails and a huge feeling of depression

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
Snow_Phoenix
25 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

^I can relate to this. Sometimes, I try not to look, but it's hard. So many nice and unique (and tempting!) things at the LFS. Nowadays I content myself with snapping a pic of an animal that interests me and walk away. Helps ease the feeling of 'must-have' that happens when I walk into the store. 

• Like 4
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

^I can relate to this. Sometimes, I try not to look, but it's hard. So many nice and unique (and tempting!) things at the LFS. Nowadays I content myself with snapping a pic of an animal that interests me and walk away. Helps ease the feeling of 'must-have' that happens when I walk into the store. 

Its the selection more than anything that is annoying me, seems like the fish selection is seasonal more than anything, if that was the case then at least I could plan around it. Honestly it seems since change of management that they're just ordering whatever they want. 

6 Months ago I could have filled this 34G perfectly, now I'll have to order the fish, check up on it on a daily basis through a fortnight or so. Nearly all the display tanks were bare, they're currently fragging the display tanks for corals to sell.... 

Disappointing to see a nice shop go downhill  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Its the selection more than anything that is annoying me, seems like the fish selection is seasonal more than anything, if that was the case then at least I could plan around it. Honestly it seems since change of management that they're just ordering whatever they want. 

6 Months ago I could have filled this 34G perfectly, now I'll have to order the fish, check up on it on a daily basis through a fortnight or so. Nearly all the display tanks were bare, they're currently fragging the display tanks for corals to sell.... 

Fish selection can get seasonal here too. For example, the yasha goby is only available once a year, during early-to-mid-year. If you miss it, you'll have to wait until next year to see it again. 

I understand how frustrating it can get though - seeing bare tanks. I once walked into a shop (not my regular LFS) and most of the tanks were bare or full of dying coral. Quite horrifying to see. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
32 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

They had a Tanaka Wrasse and a "breeding" pair of yellow watchman gobies with candy cane shrimp......

Well good for you for having self control :smilie:. Yesterday was hard because they had a bunch of coral I was looking at and had to say nope I'm only spending 10 dollars on this one little fish :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Fish selection can get seasonal here too. For example, the yasha goby is only available once a year, during early-to-mid-year. If you miss it, you'll have to wait until next year to see it again. 

I understand how frustrating it can get though - seeing bare tanks. I once walked into a shop (not my regular LFS) and most of the tanks were bare or full of dying coral. Quite horrifying to see. 

With all the bans it's heartbreaking :sad:. Plus the price of stuff is getting out of control because of said bans. My LFS actually had torches for 120 which is great I guess. They are normally going for well over 200 a head I guess. If I had the money and room I'd have totally gotten a torch yesterday.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well good for you for having self control :smilie:. Yesterday was hard because they had a bunch of coral I was looking at and had to say nope I'm only spending 10 dollars on this one little fish :lol:

I have to set up the ATO first, back section of tank was nearly dry this morning and blowing microbubbles into the tank :blush:

Then I need to set up the QT tank 

Then I can start getting fish

New Year probably? This tank will be abandoned for 12 days over Christmas and new Year 

• Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I have to set up the ATO first, back section of tank was nearly dry this morning and blowing microbubbles into the tank :blush:

Then I need to set up the QT tank 

Then I can start getting fish

New Year probably? This tank will be abandoned for 12 days over Christmas and new Year 

oh yeah ato is a must for sure than. Tanks looking good though :smilie:

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Ah the Coral display tanks are a mess as well, the ONLY reason that I got the CuC from here today is that the Inverts are in stand alone systems. 

Coral tanks still complete inundated with Red Flatworms (can barely see sand), Cyano (assume its cyano) and Nudi's 

They've also stopped changing one of the Resin Filters in the Saltwater so the TDS is getting crazy, good thing I use Spotless water for my RODI

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Good to see the tank is getting going @Ratvan! Very sad to hear about the LFS woes though. To be honest with you, I actually have never visited a local fish store, despite the fact that we apparently have some really great ones here in LA. All my stuff comes from the Caribbean though, so I have to order it online from Florida anyway. 🤷‍♂️

I hope things turn around at your LFS and you are able to get some cool new additions soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Good to see the tank is getting going @Ratvan! Very sad to hear about the LFS woes though. To be honest with you, I actually have never visited a local fish store, despite the fact that we apparently have some really great ones here in LA. All my stuff comes from the Caribbean though, so I have to order it online from Florida anyway. 🤷‍♂️

I hope things turn around at your LFS and you are able to get some cool new additions soon!

Well good news is that it is not the only one in the area. Bad news was it was 2 minutes drive away even 10 min walk. Next nearest is 45 minutes, really good for fish. Shite for corals. Opposite direction the same but shite for fish.

Got a really good one but it's over an hour away so cant get additions from there unless I'm working up that way (rare) or I get the home pico running.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Morning all, 

The reef survived its first weekend, I need to get the ATO set up and container filled today. The Water level had dropped to just below my weir and was blowing bubbles from the output nozzle. Other than that  all looks good, I have a small diatoms bloom on the right hand side of the tank but other than that all looks good

20191007_092454.thumb.jpg.4a891f20e8ce7d3654447f4521a947da.jpg

Oh yeah got some reef inspired t shirts at the weekend

20191006_155334.jpg

20191006_155401.jpg

20191006_155409.jpg

I want that Crabbey Road T shirt!!!!

8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I'd have gotten the Tanaka's wrasse, gobies and pistol shrimp and called it a day.

8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

That's the reason I got into importing, shit quality at an OMFG price. Some things are seasonal, mostly it's sizes that are seasonal.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

I want that Crabbey Road T shirt!!!!

I'd have gotten the Tanaka's wrasse, gobies and pistol shrimp and called it a day.

That's the reason I got into importing, shit quality at an OMFG price. Some things are seasonal, mostly it's sizes that are seasonal.

The shirts were a steal too at outlet £5.99 each or 4 for £15. 

I've finally got a breeders number only clowns at the minute but he handles the imports for the LFS in the area 😉

Working my way up the food chain

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

The shirts were a steal too at outlet £5.99 each or 4 for £15. 

I've finally got a breeders number only clowns at the minute but he handles the imports for the LFS in the area 😉

Working my way up the food chain

Talk to him about ordering you stuff. Tell him that there's a great shipper out of Manado Indonesia that has everything you could ever want for nano tanks. If Gerry doesn't have it or can't collect it, you probably don't need it.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Talk to him about ordering you stuff. Tell him that there's a great shipper out of Manado Indonesia that has everything you could ever want for nano tanks. If Gerry doesn't have it or can't collect it, you probably don't need it.

Thank you I will do, that's Sulawesi right?

53 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Thank you I will do, that's Sulawesi right?

Yep, northern tip. I know he also has a group that collects for him in the Lembeh Straights.

• Like 3

OK so I have an interesting territorial observations. 

20190809_151349.thumb.jpg.6c92947b1303046b6633c747faaa22c5.jpg

Cujo is very protective of the barnacles, he has so far "lunged" (best description that I can come up with - charged with mouth wide open and shaking) at Hantu (Clownfish) at least 3 times this morning, additionally I have seen him clamp down and shake Hantu...... I've checked fins and (small amount of nipping damage) 

Should I let this ride out or do I need to isolate my Blenny for bad behaviour? 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Should I let this ride out or do I need to isolate my Blenny for bad behaviour? 

I would try something.  Even rearranging the aquascape might help.  The blenny will likely continue to defend it's home aggressively.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

I would try something.  Even rearranging the aquascape might help.  The blenny will likely continue to defend it's home aggressively.

Ok, have swapped the Barnacles around. Made some extra entrances and exits. 

I think it maybe feeding aggression as have not seen anything of the sort the rest of the day (I feed at 9am when I arrive at work) will try this again later 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Ok, have swapped the Barnacles around. Made some extra entrances and exits. 

I think it maybe feeding aggression as have not seen anything of the sort the rest of the day (I feed at 9am when I arrive at work) will try this again later 

good luck.. hopefully he stops being a turd.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

good luck.. hopefully he stops being a turd.

Thanks, its odd as the usually swim together relatively peacefully, until food is put in the tank then Cujo lives up to his name (he did it again) and goes for the Pectoral Fins the c#nt

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Ratvan said:

Thanks, its odd as the usually swim together relatively peacefully, until food is put in the tank then Cujo lives up to his name (he did it again) and goes for the Pectoral Fins the c#nt

Well hopefully the rearrange will help out.. fingers crossed

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m still finding it hard to believe that you got this entire set up for £68?? That’s just insane. I’m looking on eBay at Red Sea max tanks and all the ones I find are like over £500😂. You really struck a deal😂

4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m still finding it hard to believe that you got this entire set up for £68?? That’s just insane. I’m looking on eBay at Red Sea max tanks and all the ones I find are like over £500😂. You really struck a deal😂

I know was a bargain, thing is in such a popular Hobby as we know things go wrong and many people just want instant gratification or success so there is a lot of really well priced 2nd hand equipment out there, the drive and loading was a ballache and the tank was filthy but I dont mind that work for the extra savings. 

Still on the lookout for a reef tank at home, some Bargains on Ebay again

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jellyfish-or-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Cubic-Pulse-Style/163895704584?hash=item2628f1fc08:g:iNwAAOSw4wRdKdXC

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluval-Sea-EVO-Aquarium-Tank-Kit-with-Reef-LED-Lights-52-ltr-Collection-Only/303307528370?epid=7020180041&hash=item469e8998b2:g:wZ8AAOSwLKpdiQ3r

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/marine-aquarium-fish-tank/383190091422?hash=item5937e8c69e:g:KYAAAOSw9gtdYu1b

BUT THIS ONE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/marine-tank-set-up/153674329400?hash=item23c7b42d38:g:P~IAAOSw4aldmg7p

• Like 2