SaltCritters.com

29 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

It went down well, even the Filefish ate some. Always nice to get free reef food

I was all upset that you killed him... but at least he became food. 

Circle of life...

• Like 5
Just now, kimberbee said:

Circle of life...

Don’t ever look up returning to the hounds, Kimber. I learned about that from a riding instructor and was pretty horrified. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Don’t ever look up returning to the hounds, Kimber. I learned about that from a riding instructor and was pretty horrified. 

I assuming that's something to do with Fox Hunting, all google is bringing me is that Game of Thrones shite

3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Circle of life...

I did try and capture it, but it was a little quicker than I realised and I speared it rather than grabbed it like i intended.

Oh well. Quick knife through head and Waste not want not back into the tank we go

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I assuming that's something to do with Fox Hunting, all google is bringing me is that Game of Thrones shite

I did try and capture it, but it was a little quicker than I realised and I speared it rather than grabbed it like i intended.

Oh well. Quick knife through head and Waste not want not back into the tank we go

Returning the horse to the hounds... retiring a hunter, shooting it for euthanasia, chopping it up and feeding it to the hunting pack. 😬

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Returning the horse to the hounds... retiring a hunter, shooting it for euthanasia, chopping it up and feeding it to the hunting pack. 😬

Makes sense, kinda. Similar thing in pig farming, although then of course you don't need to chop it up the pigs'll do that for you

I need to watch Snatch again tonight, might do the Guy Ritchie Movie Marathon

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Ratvan said:

My Wrasses are tucking into the body as we speak, chopped up obviously 

i usually hang them in a nori clip after I've cut them in half. The wrasses, puffers and triggers LOVE it. When my folks eat soft crabs I do the same thing with the cleaned out bits.

• Thanks 1

Not a great deal to report on this one, the Silicates in the sand are being used up (am stirring on a daily basis to burn these off) 

So a quick Photo Dump of the Livestock - Fish

Pele _ Matted Filefish - Had him about a Month now

20191127_130903.thumb.jpg.2405f8c71c31f69bedbb245c49a3c5c1.jpg

Cujo AKA Mister Vicious - Tailspot Blenny - Nice and Fat Now

20191127_130941.thumb.jpg.b38961cd9c2db13bd9322e3be55003ee.jpg

The Golden Streak - Yellow Coris Wrasse and Red Headed Goby

20191127_131006.thumb.jpg.291a9b83277ea333dd05a5381327dad0.jpg

My Gorgeous Blue Star Leopard Wrasse 😍- Favourite fish, absolute favourite of anything in the tank

20191127_131141.thumb.jpg.455a6825b17930da035aaae592ba0fbd.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

My Gorgeous Blue Star Leopard Wrasse 😍- Favourite fish, absolute favourite of anything in the tank

That was a nice mis-shipment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Where does the tailspot rank on your favorite list?  I think I have room for one more fish down the road and it will either be a blenny like a tailspot or a pearly jawfish. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, seabass said:

That was a nice mis-shipment.

It really was, I have had much better luck with Shipped Fish than I do with Shipped Corals.

At the moment kind of deliberating whether to try and find another Leopard Wrasse (maybe Black) as well as something tall and kelp like to add behind the back barnacles to give my Filefish some cover. It seems to try and hid behind the smallest amount of Gracilaria 

Maybe try and find a Female Filefish to pair them up?

Just now, Poodges said:

Where does the tailspot rank on your favorite list?  I think I have room for one more fish down the road and it will either be a blenny like a tailspot or a pearly jawfish. 

A very close second. Absolutely adore mine even though He is VERY aggressive with his Territories (my clown actually did the submissive shake to the Blenny each time she was attacked). It's had a pop at each fish in the tank and also spits snails out of the barnacles whenever it finds them inside. 

I would love a Jawfish and am after a Indo Pacific version myself at the minute

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/27/2019 at 10:10 AM, Poodges said:

Tailspot blennies are great fish, but I'm afraid they're missing something in their diet, maybe sponges. We had one that went along for 18 months, then got skinny and was dead within 2 days. He was treated with Prazi when we brought him in. I hear it all the time, he did well for a little over a year, then just up and died.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:13 AM, Ratvan said:

I would love a Jawfish and am after a Indo Pacific version myself at the minute

I just got a dozen Mustache Jawfish in from Manado last week, they're staying here for the time being since they don't come in all the time and we want to try breeding them.

Here's something for you mate, the first Srimpfish bred in captivity.

https://www.facebook.com/jerome.gillet.77/videos/2550515861684566/

• Like 3
On 11/30/2019 at 12:12 AM, StinkyBunny said:

Tailspot blennies are great fish, but I'm afraid they're missing something in their diet, maybe sponges. We had one that went along for 18 months, then got skinny and was dead within 2 days. He was treated with Prazi when we brought him in. I hear it all the time, he did well for a little over a year, then just up and died.

I just got a dozen Mustache Jawfish in from Manado last week, they're staying here for the time being since they don't come in all the time and we want to try breeding them.

Here's something for you mate, the first Srimpfish bred in captivity.

https://www.facebook.com/jerome.gillet.77/videos/2550515861684566/

Interesting, I've noticed that I'm slowly getting less and less Pineapple Sponges in the display. I put this down to just general tank gaining maturity. I might pop him in the back and see what the population back there does with him 

Don't have Facebook so can't view that. 😞 Are they also referred to as Razorfish? 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.4e96a976ffda1b77acf15ad626f89b1d.jpg

Those are so weird, love em!

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Interesting, I've noticed that I'm slowly getting less and less Pineapple Sponges in the display. I put this down to just general tank gaining maturity. I might pop him in the back and see what the population back there does with him 

Don't have Facebook so can't view that. 😞 Are they also referred to as Razorfish? 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.4e96a976ffda1b77acf15ad626f89b1d.jpg

Those are so weird, love em!

We call them shrimpfish here. Last time I saw one was in a DT in a mall (now closed down) when I was a kid. They're quite interesting to watch though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

We call them shrimpfish here. Last time I saw one was in a DT in a mall (now closed down) when I was a kid. They're quite interesting to watch though. 

Joined Razorfish for me! Cool to see different "common names" from around the world though

Yeah seen a few video's of them and they look really interesting. I'm popping down my LFS this lunch time, their supplier dropped me a text about livestock and I want to have a look at the Wrasses (some Fairy and Flasher) 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Joined Razorfish for me! Cool to see different "common names" from around the world though

Yeah seen a few video's of them and they look really interesting. I'm popping down my LFS this lunch time, their supplier dropped me a text about livestock and I want to have a look at the Wrasses (some Fairy and Flasher) 

You can look into a Lubbocks (Fairy), if it's available. Stays small, very bright colors (for males) and relatively peaceful. I have one male in my QT atm and I already like it. 🙂 

• Like 1
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

You can look into a Lubbocks (Fairy), if it's available. Stays small, very bright colors (for males) and relatively peaceful. I have one male in my QT atm and I already like it. 🙂 

Had my Eye out for one of these for a little while 

lg_75670_Multicolor_Lubbocks_Fairy_Wrasse.jpg.acf2ca9a0ec87441c67d9ef60f417771.jpg

Hoping that is the Fairy they have in, if not at least i'll get to feed whatever the Wrasses actually are. Hopefully they have gotten around to Fragging some of the larger colonies that came in on Branch Rock as well to add to my tank..... i'll see 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Had my Eye out for one of these for a little while 

lg_75670_Multicolor_Lubbocks_Fairy_Wrasse.jpg.acf2ca9a0ec87441c67d9ef60f417771.jpg

Hoping that is the Fairy they have in, if not at least i'll get to feed whatever the Wrasses actually are. Hopefully they have gotten around to Fragging some of the larger colonies that came in on Branch Rock as well to add to my tank..... i'll see 

Mine has more yellow to him, but pretty much looks like that - here he is (hope you don't mind me sharing a pic on your thread):

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Mine has more yellow to him, but pretty much looks like that - here he is (hope you don't mind me sharing a pic on your thread):

Do not mind at all, beautiful specimen.

Nothing worthwhile in the LFS, well did have a Red Headed Fairy Wrasse, but it didn't look in the best shape. Picked up some new Frozen and Pellets instead

• Like 3

I love those razorfish! We have a few of them in a display at work; I'll try to grab a picture for you next time I am on site. If I remember correctly their vertical orientation is an adaptation for hiding between the spines of sea urchins, especially long-spined urchins from the genus Diadema. I do not believe they require a particularly large amount of swimming space, so if they were more commonly available they'd probably make a reasonably good candidate for display in a nano tank. A species tank with some razorfish and a large urchin for them to hide in would be pretty cool to see!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1