Innovative Marine Aquariums

22 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Named him Pelesit (Pele) for short ๐Ÿ˜„

ย 

Sort of related, also I should finally be able to get my hands on both the original and the english version ofย Kijiya soon ๐Ÿ˜„

CieQb7LVAAAV3KC.thumb.jpg.178eb9ea1ee3ad63883a99569830d572.jpg

Hmm. Not sure if you know this - but pelesit is a type of folklore entity here that causes death and severe illness. Different legends have different beginnings, but the general consensus is that this demon can take on the form of a snake with a woman's head. Usually hearing the sound of a particular type of cricket in your house is the sign of a pelesit. You're advised to catch the cricket and release it back outside the house, or so the myth goes.ย 

ย 

I don't believe much in Indo-Malay folklore but I have, over the years, seen and experienced questionable things in my previous home. Not really a name I'd pick for anything, but that's just me. 'Pele' sounds cute though.ย :happy:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hmm. Not sure if you know this - but pelesit is a type of folklore entity here that causes death and severe illness. Different legends have different beginnings, but the general consensus is that this demon can take on the form of a snake with a woman's head. Usually hearing the sound of a particular type of cricket in your house is the sign of a pelesit. You're advised to catch the cricket and release it back outside the house, or so the myth goes.ย 

ย 

I don't believe much in Indo-Malay folklore but I have, over the years, seen and experienced questionable things in my previous home. Not really a name I'd pick for anything, but that's just me. 'Pele' sounds cute though.ย :happy:

I did :D, the name is one of the central characters in the Komku above (like Manga but not Japanese) well the antagonists at least.ย 

I like dark names, my blackwater tank I named everyone as an inhabitantย of the underworld

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I like dark names, my blackwater tank I named everyone as an inhabitantย of the underworld

That's actually kinda cool. I name some of my critters after Greek/Roman Gods and Goddesses. Heck, feel free to name them anything you like. You can call your fish 'Little Turd' and we'll still read your thread lol.ย :lol:

(Was just sharing about the Pelesit myth here - hope you didn't mind that.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ย 

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

I'm aware it's why I borrowed from a trustworthy reefer.

ย 

Collected this one from a 100g set up. Mostly LPS and Softies small amount of SPS in the tank. Fish takes pretty much all foods so hoping keeping it well fed helps.ย 

Unfortunately that rarely works with file fish and puffers. It usually does with large angels though.

35 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Different legends have different beginnings, but the general consensus is that this demon can take on the form of a snake with a woman's head.

Shit, you just described my ex, snake with a woman's head.

• Haha 3

Well Pele so far has taken Flake, Pellets, BBS and tackled one of the larger Aiptasia. Also love how he hangs out in the darkest region of the tank

20191025_140339.thumb.jpg.0c2cbc565b89bcb4422673cade843ca8.jpg

ย 

20191025_125316.thumb.jpg.303e3fab7b73cdbf6966b0c046c7f1f8.jpg

ย 

Clown and Blenny seem to be doing better today, not seen any aggression yet since splitting up the barnacles. Why can't I scape how I want tooย ๐Ÿ˜ฅย 

Also the Wrasse now joins these and the swimming trio journey's around and around the tank.

20191025_140327.thumb.jpg.cddca055c599ecf314c64af3a9642465.jpg

ย 

Damn Barnacles

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Well Pele so far has taken Flake, Pellets, BBS and tackled one of the larger Aiptasia. Also love how he hangs out in the darkest region of the tank

20191025_140339.thumb.jpg.0c2cbc565b89bcb4422673cade843ca8.jpg

ย 

20191025_125316.thumb.jpg.303e3fab7b73cdbf6966b0c046c7f1f8.jpg

ย 

Clown and Blenny seem to be doing better today, not seen any aggression yet since splitting up the barnacles. Why can't I scape how I want tooย ๐Ÿ˜ฅย 

Also the Wrasse now joins these and the swimming trio journey's around and around the tank.

20191025_140327.thumb.jpg.cddca055c599ecf314c64af3a9642465.jpg

ย 

Damn Barnacles

That's the same type of filefish I had. They're very curious and can swim backwards sometimes. Very personable fish. If you can get a hold of some seagrass there - consider adding it, because these guys love 'sleeping' in it (they actually camoflage between the seagrass 'leaves'/strands to hide from predators in the wild).ย 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That's the same type of filefish I had. They're very curious and can swim backwards sometimes. Very personable fish. If you can get a hold of some seagrass there - consider adding it, because these guys love 'sleeping' in it (they actually camoflage between the seagrass 'leaves'/strands to hide from predators in the wild).ย 

oh damn that's pretty cool :smilie:

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Is seaย grass a particular type of macro algae? Just ordered 4 different types. 2x Caulerpa species and two random lucky dips

OMG he displaysย omgomgomg

He got too close to a certain Blennies Barnacleย ๐Ÿ™„ย so when Cujo darted out to confront it, the Filefish raised some spike on its head and underside and its colour changed to stripes.....ย 

The Blenny stopped instantlyย :haha:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 5

Some lovely cheap Lobo's added to the tank today, that and bulked up the CuC by adding 5 Ceriths and 5 Spiny Astrea Snails

20191030_102010.thumb.jpg.950d99a60f1511e3546315f75aaa7c1c.jpg20191030_102018.thumb.jpg.ad049ab58e070896ef096e66dc7e130e.jpg

ย 

Thinking about a Lobo Garden instead of Acans for the base of the Rock Structure now.ย 

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

is that a ball of goniopora skeleton next to the hammer?ย 

Possibly. I thought either acan or Favia. Got it from my LFS as "live rock". Want to get something nice and encrusting for it eventually that is if it doesnt make a comeback

On 10/25/2019 at 7:44 AM, Ratvan said:

Is seaย grass a particular type of macro algae? Just ordered 4 different types. 2x Caulerpa species and two random lucky dips

"Sea grass" usually refers to one of the various species of marine plants that grow in nearshore areas around the world. Unlike macroalgae, sea grasses are true vascular plants, with leaves, roots, and flowers. They are considerably more difficult to keep in captivity than algae.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, billygoat said:

Awesome lobos by the way! I really like those. They are super beautiful and one of my favorite types of coral.

And "cheap" for me. ยฃ24.99 each, they each have at least 2 mouths(?) The smaller ones mouth is impressive. I'll try and get a shot of that tomorrow.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So I attended a tank breakdown today

You make it sound like you were going to a funeral!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย Nice pickups though. Fungiid corals are super cool. Give them the right conditions and they will start mysteriously populating your sandbed like little saltwater mushrooms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, billygoat said:

You make it sound like you were going to a funeral!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย Nice pickups though. Fungiid corals are super cool. Give them the right conditions and they will start mysteriously populating your sandbed like little saltwater mushrooms.

Well I find them a bit sad, even though i can usually find a bargain. Or at least see a bargain. It is a funeral of sorts, one for the hobbiest!

ย 

He had so many long tentacled plates, but sadly all were sold or reserved before I got there. Fungia's reproduce like mushrooms? Awesome

ย 

Waiting on the Zoa's to open but I did spot a couple of varieties that I like (mainly Greens, Reds and Blues and those big Paly Grandis)