Innovative Marine Aquariums

13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Fungia's reproduce like mushrooms? Awesome

Well... not quite like mushrooms, perhaps. 😅 They're still stony corals and take quite a long time to get to the point where they start makin' babies, but I have seen pictures of mature reefs with sandbeds totally covered in Fungiid corals that all arose from a single original specimen.

Cool wrasse too. Do you know what species it is?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Well... not quite like mushrooms, perhaps. 😅 They're still stony corals and take quite a long time to get to the point where they start makin' babies, but I have seen pictures of mature reefs with sandbeds totally covered in Fungiid corals that all arose from a single original specimen.

Cool wrasse too. Do you know what species it is?

Yellow Coris Wrasse - Halichoeres Chrysus 

• Like 4

Zoa's starting to open

20191031_141549.thumb.jpg.99b9b556f65585ff90ac2d17f3ce2672.jpg20191031_141613.thumb.jpg.792f9e02905c1a37cf20d6ace2bcda77.jpg

I'll do my usual gradual reduction of Bubble Algae, meaning I'll forget about it until it gets worse 😄

Plate is putting up tentacles, I dont have my Coral Lens with me so these are basic Phone Shots

20191031_141624.thumb.jpg.bff685180e56514e4f8d9158749b4b99.jpg

The Wrasse is really bloody quick, but is exploring the new tank

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Regularly target feed that plate coral.

Will do, just fed the fish Artemis and it seems to have taken a piece. Also did not notice that the tentacles have tiny little blue ends which is really pretty. Meaty foods and reef roids?

Looking about currently for some more, will see if i can pick up a cheap green one and try to frag it.... more out of interest than anything else, I have seen tiny little pieces of this stuff with tentacles out the day after fragging, which looks bizarre but cute at the same time

• Like 2

good find there mate :) looking good..

I remember the first time I did a water change after I had my wrasse and it darted under a rock soooo quick, I could barely believe it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, afcajax73 said:

good find there mate 🙂 looking good..

I remember the first time I did a water change after I had my wrasse and it darted under a rock soooo quick, I could barely believe it.

Thanks I have found one for £60 that is roughly 4.5-5" across. Pretty standard plain green as well. Might be a good candidate for fragging.

Really excited about my Kessil which should be arriving this morning, cant wait to set it up. 

18 hours ago, seabass said:

Regularly target feed that plate coral.

Discovered this morning that I seem to have placed the plate in a line of flow that takes the fish food for the tank over this coral. Whenever fish get fed this plate picks stuff out

1 hour ago, afcajax73 said:

good find there mate 🙂 looking good..

Yeah it's funny to see both of them go to bed at more or less the same time. The yellow is hilarious  when she wakes up. Just see her head appear before the rest of her.

Lights off of feeding plate

20191101_084117.jpg

• Like 9

Love this plate. So cool to watch.

Also my Trumpet frag is coming back after I left it too near the torch in the Pico.

Finally after 6 months the Duncan seems to be happier. Still no idea what it's doing. Weird thing

20191101_123022.jpg

20191101_123032.jpg

20191101_123049.jpg

• Like 5

Great color on that Fungia. They're definitely super cool corals; we have a few big ones at work that always catch my eye. Those and slipper corals (Herpolitha) are really underrepresented in the hobby I think. They make a great way to fill up some sandbed space.

Forgive me if you mentioned this someplace already but what Kessil light are you getting for this system?

Just now, billygoat said:

Great color on that Fungia. They're definitely super cool corals; we have a few big ones at work that always catch my eye. Those and slipper corals (Herpolitha) are really underrepresented in the hobby I think. They make a great way to fill up some sandbed space.

Forgive me if you mentioned this someplace already but what Kessil light are you getting for this system?

Thank you, oh something new for me to look up? Good good good. I have seen the Polyphyllia (Tongue Corals) and they seem to be decently priced as well. 

https://marine-world.co.uk/products/tongue-coral-polyphyllia-sp?_pos=1&_sid=24575012e&_ss=r - Tongue

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202810593540 - Slipper. That is a pretty good price as well 

Bought a 2nd Hand Kessil A360WE, Gooseneck and Controller for £150 (6 months old)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Thank you, oh something new for me to look up? Good good good. I have seen the Polyphyllia (Tongue Corals) and they seem to be decently priced as well. 

https://marine-world.co.uk/products/tongue-coral-polyphyllia-sp?_pos=1&_sid=24575012e&_ss=r - Tongue

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202810593540 - Slipper. That is a pretty good price as well 

Bought a 2nd Hand Kessil A360WE, Gooseneck and Controller for £150 (6 months old)

Does seem like a pretty good price to me. That's a super gorgeous slipper coral too. Amazing colors! I wonder if the photo has been edited at all... 🤔

And damn that's one hell of a light! What an amazing bargain. You can grow whatever you want with a monster like that over the tank. 

• Like 2

Does seem like a pretty good price to me. That's a super gorgeous slipper coral too. Amazing colors! I wonder if the photo has been edited at all... 🤔

And damn that's one hell of a light! What an amazing bargain. You can grow whatever you want with a monster like that over the tank. 

He was breaking down his RSM 170.... if I hadn't only just set up the 130D....oh well. Had a crash, got a load of bubble algae and Cyano and just couldnt be bothered. Lost a pair of Picasso Clowns as well. Sad. 

The store is Hidden Gem Aquatics. The main shop sells most "normal" corals anything different gets stuck on the 'Bay. 

They're not too bad with photo editting, typically run a lot of blues but in most cases its not as bad as some sellers and shops around. They usually have some more interesting corals about. 

Birthday Wishlist (28th November)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Neon-Green-Fungia-Plate-LPS-Coral-marine-aquarium/202777615102

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-WYSIWYG-Green-Fungia-Plate-Pinstripe-Mouth-LPS-Coral-2/202802235562 - FRAG BAIT

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-WYSIWYG-Large-Slipper-tongue-Coral-LPS-marine-aquarium/202810593540

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-WYSIWYG-Large-Bright-Green-Slipper-tongue-Coral-LPS-marine-aquarium/202810593551  😍

I'm going to run out of sandbed at this rate

• Like 3

Morning all, 

So my Red Sea Test Kit (Alk, Ca, Mag) has been delayed due to "inclement weather", this is annoying as I wanted to start testing today as I have an issue with some of the SPS that I have added to the tank, I was also planning on trialling another couple of branching varieties to see how they do.

Yellow Polyp Stylophora - Added 16.10.2019

20191022_130802.thumb.jpg.21b139da68893fc44ba0a7097ef70561.jpg

I am having great Polyp extension on this coral, I am assuming that the White tipped area's are area's of growth. Really happy with this coral. I am thinking about attaching this permanently to my rockwork shortly. Will be getting better shots of this today. 

"Green" Plating Monti - Added 16.10.2019

20191016_103646.thumb.jpg.dfdfa3bedd2c8f6c9eeaa560e10fcb9a.jpgSo 

Day 1 with this Coral I had really good Polyp Extension (IMO), however since adding to the tank I have seen 0 Poly extension each day. Think that this is going/gone and I have no idea why? I plan on picking up at least a Calcium Kit today from my LFS (Salifert most likely) I have tried lowering the coral as well as raising within the tank.   

• Like 1

Morning, so half of my Macro Algae order arrived today, purchased from a nearby Reefer this was damp posted so may take a little while to colour up. 

Gracillaria Mammarilis - A "fast growing"plate forming Red Macro Algae

Halimeda Opunita - Prickly Pear Cactus Macro Algae

I plan on leaving this in the tank for a few weeks before taking some trimmings home for the 5.5G Cube

I have now removed all my Soft Corals from this tank so only have LPS, 1 SPS and Macro Algae. I will try and not make further additions prior to the New Year!

Gracillaria Mammarilis (Stock).jpg

Gracillaria Mammarilis.jpg

halimeda-opuntia-(stock).jpg

Halimeda Opuntia.jpg

• Like 8

So in preparation for the Kessil Lights and Controller I have been reading user guides and set up information. I plan on setting this light at 30% in acclimating mode for two weeks. That should get me to the level my Black Box Currently puts out and I can then ramp up in small increments from there?

I also have some fancy programming things to learn as well which should be fun omgomgomg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So in preparation for the Kessil Lights and Controller I have been reading user guides and set up information. I plan on setting this light at 30% in acclimating mode for two weeks. That should get me to the level my Black Box Currently puts out and I can then ramp up in small increments from there?

I also have some fancy programming things to learn as well which should be fun omgomgomg

Programming Kessils is pretty easy: you basically just figure out how blue you want it to be and the light does the rest. 😁 Glad to hear you've got some algae going on too! I can always get behind the decision to add macros to one's tank. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Programming Kessils is pretty easy: you basically just figure out how blue you want it to be and the light does the rest. 😁 Glad to hear you've got some algae going on too! I can always get behind the decision to add macros to one's tank. 👍

Its more the Spectral Controller that I need to work out. Also can I set up one with the Controller, disconnect the controller and programme another light or will it not function without the controller having permanent power? Just wondering as mine has gone missing from the A80 package but should have one in the A360WE package (actually should have two) Had a play around with the A80. Gorgeous colours. Especially on the Lobophyllia's. Really going to enjoy photographs with this light

Yeah I missed having Macro Algae, Loved it in the Pico before the Caulerpa went sexual and ended up as mush. Really enjoying revisiting the corals that I failed with in the smaller system and seeing them prosper in the RSM

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Its more the Spectral Controller that I need to work out. Also can I set up one with the Controller, disconnect the controller and programme another light or will it not function without the controller having permanent power? Just wondering as mine has gone missing from the A80 package but should have one in the A360WE package (actually should have two) Had a play around with the A80. Gorgeous colours. Especially on the Lobophyllia's. Really going to enjoy photographs with this light

Yeah I missed having Macro Algae, Loved it in the Pico before the Caulerpa went sexual and ended up as mush. Really enjoying revisiting the corals that I failed with in the smaller system and seeing them prosper in the RSM

The Spectral Controller will remember the various settings you create for your different Kessil lights and will save them even if the power is disconnected. When switching over to a different light you need only select the pre-saved program you want to run with that light and the controller will take care of the rest. It can also control multiple lights simultaneously if you have them linked together. The A360 is a monster so be careful when you switch it over lest you end up frying your corals. 😅

• Like 2

The Spectral Controller will remember the various settings you create for your different Kessil lights and will save them even if the power is disconnected. When switching over to a different light you need only select the pre-saved program you want to run with that light and the controller will take care of the rest. It can also control multiple lights simultaneously if you have them linked together. The A360 is a monster so be careful when you switch it over lest you end up frying your corals. 😅

The A360 is going over the 34G at about 6-9" over the water in the office 😄

The A80 is going to be at home on the 5.5G

Just wanted to set up programmes with a single controller 😄

That's if the other half turns up today 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b

Ah, I see. The programs are going to be saved inside the controller, not inside of your lights. So if you are planning on running a separate controller on each of your systems, you will unfortunately have to program each of them separately. 😬

Don't worry; it'll make sense as soon as you get ahold of your controllers. It's very easy and straightforward to set up and use.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b

Just be careful with ramping up the lights. I put that new RedSea LED 90 over my 50g and started it at 50% on acclimation mode and it still almost killed everything. Now I've gotten it to 20K, 55% over the course of time. Its still slow going.

• Like 2