Top Shelf Aquatics

@mcarroll Indeed it is, what is even sweeter is the below, Terrible shot but the big three (Clown, TSB and Wrasse) all out swimming

20191021_101222.thumb.jpg.690281f09b5a6fd216ee4362d68013fc.jpg

Also looking at spending my paycheck on Reef Supplies this month, i'm not sure about dosing but am looking at picking up some of these test kits.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004CS8EQS/?coliid=I1E8SMDXTML07G&colid=1QXTREY49XF2S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004CSG3E8/?coliid=I29QWYEAZG29EJ&colid=1QXTREY49XF2S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Hopefully that will give me a better idea of what is being consumed in the tank and whether there is a need to dose or not. 

I can get a hold of the Chin Strap, although will be pre order. Not a bad price either in my opinion (£35.00) there is a long wait for this fish (up to 6 months) 

My other options are a Male Blue Star Leopard Wrasse or a Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse again male. 

SPS are still going strong (you have no idea how happy that makes me), the Monti seems to be encrusting over the rock it is on, I might have just missed that last week.

20191021_102005.thumb.jpg.be1afb2aa6d83eacd9d45f7863601b65.jpg

And have got some nice Polyp Extension on the Stylopora, didn't notice the slight green tint to the Polyps either, it's pretty. Going to have to dig out those lens again soon. Got a bit oof Cyano in the tank, using a pipette to remove from rockwork, it has been removed from coral. Nothing like a photo to point out the issues in the tank. 😄

20191021_102015.thumb.jpg.cca581108cbb524aa46fd026d16eba35.jpg

Any other "easy" SPS that I can give a go?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So I decided today that since i have seen no issues with this little Wrasse I would add to the tank today

She's currently busy exploring the new tank and picking pods of the rocks and barnacles. 

20191015_142815.jpg

20191015_142814.jpg

20191015_142814 (2).jpg

Pretty little girl!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

20191021_124150.thumb.jpg.403ae8c3933b8611d37fd015d812a63e.jpg20191021_124127.thumb.jpg.e9fb2ca39736034f56c402946df0aa2e.jpg20191021_124232.thumb.jpg.5a159199966269246f2ccdd5eae316e2.jpg

Cujo the Tailspot Blenny now splits his time between swimming with Hantu and swimming with Barong when not stationed in his Barnacle waiting for feeding time. Fatty

I need to find some of those barnacles. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

They're sold by Aqua One here, not sure if that helps. I did look on USA Ebay and saw the prices 🤢

I paid nothing like that

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Look in the shells section on eBay, type purple barnacles into their search engine.

SP4qPtb.jpg

• Like 2

Had to stop the car and take a photo of the sunrise this morning

20191021_173928.thumb.jpg.091d722ec4269fb5afcaf36b791d52bb.jpg

Well now time for some talking about the tank and the contents, I have really good Polyp Extension on the Stylopora even with lights off it looks incredibly fluffy this pleases me immensely, I'll admit I wasn't a fan of these corals (sticks) but this one is growing on me. The end "nub" that was white originally seems to be getting whiter?

20191022_092835.thumb.jpg.aa6a25ebb44c67c0d95f6fd4e7871ca3.jpg

Now my Montipora has stopped Polyp Extension completely, I have been thinking about moving this coral. Maybe move it higher into better/stronger light? Fairly sure that the flow is good on this piece (same height and flow as Stylo). However it does seem to be encrusting the rock fairly rapidly. Seems like the only area's of new growth show any PE 

20191022_092846.thumb.jpg.f6d3b610edc99435e5bf0deb1900003b.jpg

I realise that I need to obtain some more test kits (I have Ordered the Red Sea Reed Foundation Pro test Kit which is arriving Monday) so cannot currently test for anything other than Phosphates 0.03 and Nitrates 20. Is this too high for SPS? If so will lowering it mess with my LPS?

• Like 6
On 10/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, Ratvan said:

OK so I have an interesting territorial observations. 

20190809_151349.thumb.jpg.6c92947b1303046b6633c747faaa22c5.jpg

Cujo is very protective of the barnacles, he has so far "lunged" (best description that I can come up with - charged with mouth wide open and shaking) at Hantu (Clownfish) at least 3 times this morning, additionally I have seen him clamp down and shake Hantu...... I've checked fins and (small amount of nipping damage) 

Should I let this ride out or do I need to isolate my Blenny for bad behaviour? 

Ok back on this again, again seen Cujo lunge at Hantu.

However this time the Clownfish began rapidly shaking, is s/he being submissive to my Tailspot?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Ok back on this again, again seen Cujo lunge at Hantu.

However this time the Clownfish began rapidly shaking, is s/he being submissive to my Tailspot?

I’m positive my clown pair took down my TSB yesterday. I’d seen them all get in each others faces the day before and sure enough, the smallest one ends up dead. *sigh* That’s why they’re named Dillinger and Billy Frecehette. 

• Sad 3
33 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

again seen Cujo lunge at Hantu.  However this time the Clownfish began rapidly shaking, is s/he being submissive to my Tailspot?

Basically.  But I doubt the tailspot recognizes it as submission.  It would prefer the clownfish just leave it's territory.

While the clownfish is content to share territory, the blenny isn't (not that unusual).  It's more unusual that the clownfish has taken to the barnacles.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

Basically.  But I doubt the tailspot recognizes it as submission.  It would prefer the clownfish just leave it's territory.

While the clownfish is content to share territory, the blenny isn't (not that unusual).  It's more unusual that the clownfish has taken to the barnacles.

Brilliant, well seems like I need to pull the Clownfish then. Seems like the easiest solution. Or try and get it to host something else within the tank? Torch? Hammer? 

6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Or try and get it to host something else within the tank? Torch? Hammer? 

I had a duncan coral in my tank for like 3 years before it became host to my clownfish. Personally, I wouldn't put anything in the tank for the sole purpose of becoming host to a fish - you can't always count on it happening. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

I had a duncan coral in my tank for like 3 years before it became host to my clownfish. Personally, I wouldn't put anything in the tank for the sole purpose of becoming host to a fish - you can't always count on it happening. 

Listed corals I had already and were away from the Barnacles (TSB's territory) , wasn't going to get anything specifically for the task but I do love LPS corals 😄

Read about the Photo Method so will that a go LMAO

• Like 1