Top Shelf Aquatics

9 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

They'll be in season reliably in a few weeks. They're around now, but not in a large enough numbers.

That's good so I will have a couple weeks at least to build up my pod population. Wrasse is still asleep this morning (I assume) as cannot see her in the QT (or around) 

Am thinking no sign is a good sign 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Ok some coral related questions. 

So my monthly budget for corals until the new year is fairly modest. £100. After Christmas we will see. 

So as a result I am looking at picking up a couple of more impressive pieces. I know that the lights in my LFS and my own differ so I will take photos of the corals in LFS with DD lenses so I can get a better idea of final colouration. 

So I have spotted a fairly cheap (£35) moon coral on Tonga branch (or what appears to be). Can this coral encrust the entire length? Would I need to angle it a certain way to encourage the growth? 

Also fairly certain in need some larger grain in the sand bed, especially in the front. So am re thinking my scape. 😀

I have a plan and fairly sure those Zoa Garden plates that I slung in the back will come in handy for places to place the euphyllia around a column. 

Also cant decide between a blasto or acan garden around the front in the sand around below the barnacles. Or just go for more foxes and bubbles. 

Finally looking into getting a decent size pociliopora. Might have to go trans european shipping to get that so will need to bulk up that order until after Christmas. Might change the flow towards the backwall the force it up there towards the weir. 

Apart from longer lashes Duncan's what LPS do better in higher flow? Also what modes do people use on their wavemaker? I cant decide

I’m always a fan of acan gardens... 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I’m always a fan of acan gardens... 

I love the Acan Garden idea and want to try something similar with Blasto's BUT I can find one or two at £15-25 the rest seem to be £45-90 :(, similar with the Acans. Wonder if i can do the same with Brain Corals? Lmao

Oh by the Way 09:15 seems to be wrasse wake up time 😄

So Cute! So hard not to watch QT tank all day

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Well now, the Wrasse she is doing good. Eats like a damn pig. Very active and comes to front of QT tank when she recognises me. 

I added a couple of cheap SPS Frags yesterday, was impressed this morning that I could see some Polyp Extension (that is what it is right?)

20191016_103642.thumb.jpg.178d92cbcccb26cc31982a17cbc8f3ef.jpg20191016_103637.thumb.jpg.b196fc34afbc020a073223185f801542.jpg20191016_103631.thumb.jpg.f6e15cabd1dc965dcca90e9e723ac004.jpg20191016_103646.thumb.jpg.e3532dca5e3dd71a13ed18b9bc8be6c9.jpg

Seems to me that these are doing better than previous attempts

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Well now, the Wrasse she is doing good. Eats like a damn pig. Very active and comes to front of QT tank when she recognises me. 

I added a couple of cheap SPS Frags yesterday, was impressed this morning that I could see some Polyp Extension (that is what it is right?)

20191016_103642.thumb.jpg.178d92cbcccb26cc31982a17cbc8f3ef.jpg20191016_103637.thumb.jpg.b196fc34afbc020a073223185f801542.jpg20191016_103631.thumb.jpg.f6e15cabd1dc965dcca90e9e723ac004.jpg20191016_103646.thumb.jpg.e3532dca5e3dd71a13ed18b9bc8be6c9.jpg

Looking good. Fingers crossed with these. With SPS you’ll know something’s off when there’s no PE. Plus these are still settling in. 

• Like 2
Just now, SeaFurn said:

Looking good. Fingers crossed with these. With SPS you’ll know something’s off when there’s no PE. Plus these are still settling in. 

I think flow may have been a contributing factor (among others) in the Pico, no matter where I placed them i could not get strong enough flow to keep them clear of detritus. IN this one I have one wavemaker blowing over the top and another that blows past the front so they stay nice and clean.

Additionally my Redhead Gobies have not been seen lately, so decided to go looking

Eggs.jpg.a967e1272e2c055b58d971e14768fe97.jpg

Found this in the rear of the tank, behind the main rock in a little cave

• Like 5
  • Wow 4
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I think flow may have been a contributing factor (among others) in the Pico, no matter where I placed them i could not get strong enough flow to keep them clear of detritus. IN this one I have one wavemaker blowing over the top and another that blows past the front so they stay nice and clean.

Additionally my Redhead Gobies have not been seen lately, so decided to go looking

They Iove the flow - as much as you can give them without blowing the tissue off! 

Wow - are those eggs? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

That’s kinda awesome! 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

This is amazing! I assume you're not planning on raising any of the fry if they hatch? So cool though. 

I've had zebra darts, YCGs and Hi-Fins spawn for me in the past, but never successfully. Wish you the best of luck with these guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

This is amazing! I assume you're not planning on raising any of the fry if they hatch? So cool though. 

I've had zebra darts, YCGs and Hi-Fins spawn for me in the past, but never successfully. Wish you the best of luck with these guys!

I've looked briefly at the requirements for the fry and think that this would be beyond me at the moment. Office Tank. 

I'm working on the Mrs to allow me something small at home, might try to get them into a home setup and can look at breeding more seriously at that point. Will have a 5g and 15g free soon which sounds better for breeding.

Also not found too much on them, this is probably the most information I got in a single place

"The [/size]Red Headed Goby[/color][/size] is an attractive small slim fish. The head being red with black line running straight from the body with one iridescent black stripe along the bottom of its body and a white belly, it is easily identified. They have a life span of about one to two years.[/color][/size]The Red Headed Goby is ideal first fish for the new marine hobbyists as they will pick off parasites and dead tissue from other fishes.If you are looking for marine breed to try your hand at, the premier Red Headed Goby is a prime candidate. It has been tank-bred and reared in commercial quantities for years.The Red Headed Goby species parents are small and may be maintained easily in a twenty gallon system. They pair and spawn readily and regularly, with demersal (bottom) eggs, and parental care.The individual Red Headed Goby may be sexed with practice and close observation. The males are cone-shaped and pointed at the tip, the females are generally only visible near spawning and are short and rounded at the tip.The Red Headed Goby can spawn and rear their young on most anything solid. The fry are raised on unicellular plankton. The young are fully developed in a month; which seems fast until you realize their full lifespan is but a year or two.The Red Headed Goby is extremely hardy and a great beginner marine fish. It gets along great in a community aquarium or reef aquarium. It is very beneficial for its tank mates. It is a true cleaner goby and will pick off cryptocaryon and other parasites from them, as well as dead tissue. A prime candidate for breeding, this little fish is a ready breeder and has been bred by both hobbyists and commercially for years.The Red Headed Goby is relatively non-aggressive, except to their own kind. They will engage in high speed chases around the tank, but these appear to be mostly harmless affairs. Each Red Headed Goby will stake out their own territory if more than one is kept in a tank. They will frequently setup a cleaning station where the larger fish will come when they want the Gobies attention. The larger fish will signal their desire to be cleaned by assuming a tilted posture, spreading their fins or with a color change as can be seen in the picture of the Achilles Tang being cleaned above.In their natural environment, the Red Headed Goby are seen singly, in pairs, and also in groups of 30 or more. A good community fish, the Red Headed Goby are generally not aggressive except to members of their own species, unless they are a mated pair. They will set up and defend territories if there is more than one.The Red Headed Goby is easy to keep. They can be kept in either a community fish aquarium or a reef. But as they are coral reef inhabitants, they do enjoy live rock to hide in and to feel comfortable.Habitat: The Red Headed Goby is found in the western Central Atlantic, primarily in the coral reefs of Florida, USA and southward to Belize. They are often found in moderately shallow areas at about 40" (1 m), but they also inhabits depths down to 132 feet (40 m).Feeding and Diet: The Red Headed Goby is carnivorous, feeding on parasitic crustacean in its natural environment. They require daily feeding and though they will get some of their nourishment from cleaning parasites off of their tank mates, this will need to be supplemented. They will readily accept small meaty foods, frozen foods, and tablets.[/color]"

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Ratvan said:

What's she eating?

6 hours ago, jack1978 said:

What's she eating?

6 hours ago, spectra said:

Um fish food maybe.....................:unsure:

Precisely, so far taken frozen and gut loaded live Mysis and Live Bine Shrimp(also enriched). Also taken Artemis and either Copepods or Rotifers. Can't remember which culture I took from.

So far shown very little interest in flake or pellets (has taken pellets once but not since) but still trying it with her

• Like 2

Thinking and looking at stocking again, I would like to add another Wrasse and something a little different (and inspired by @billygoat)

Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse - Centrepiece Fish

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+6253&pcatid=6253

Chinstrap Jawfish - The Special One

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1637+3288&pcatid=3288

I have a lot of reading to do before I even start to look add trying to get a hold of one of either of these

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Thinking and looking at stocking again, I would like to add another Wrasse and something a little different (and inspired by @billygoat)

I have a lot of reading to do before I even start to look add trying to get a hold of one of either of these

Cool fish!!  Really pretty wrasse!  That chinstrap is neat too.  I’d seen it up on divers den but didn’t realize it’s a new discovery!  I wonder how successfully people are keeping them (since they are new).  Looks like temp requirements might be a bit on the lower side according to LA.  Link you sent said 72-78.  Must be like the blue spot and like it a little colder?    

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Opotter said:

Nope never mind.  They have the wrasse at that temp too.  Must just be I never noticed before.  Silly me.

I do that all the time, I forget that Marine Tanks are essentially Tropical Temperatures (unless a different set up) so when i see 78 degrees I forget that the temp my tank is at!

6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

That Chinstrap jawfish is super cool! If its anything like Caribbean jawfish it is probably super hardy and rather disease resistant. Jawfish make for really interesting fish and have a ton of personality. I highly recommend them if you have a sandbed that's thick enough to accommodate their needs. And if you're okay with your substrate getting periodically rearranged of course. 😅

• Like 3
18 hours ago, billygoat said:

That Chinstrap jawfish is super cool! If its anything like Caribbean jawfish it is probably super hardy and rather disease resistant. Jawfish make for really interesting fish and have a ton of personality. I highly recommend them if you have a sandbed that's thick enough to accommodate their needs. And if you're okay with your substrate getting periodically rearranged of course. 😅

I'm glad something will do it for me, no more H2S gas for me, especially since this system is about 14 times the size of the Pico lol. 

In all seriousness I have got better with substrate management, also quite a fine grain (thankfully) but want to mix some larger grains in, it makes nice drifts around the tank that "naturally" shift in the current. Will have to look and see how the chinstrap will cope with burrowing inverts and sand sleeping Wrasse

I still have not killed the SPS yet, which is a nice change. 

• Like 2

Just inspect that Chinstrap Jawfish before you purchase it. They come from Indonesia and they still catch quite a few fish using cyanide. Things to look for are vivid coloration as well as very red gills. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, just be careful. It's a damn shame you're not on this side of the pond, my guy in Manado only net collects. He get all of the Jawfish indigenous to the Indo area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

Just inspect that Chinstrap Jawfish before you purchase it. They come from Indonesia and they still catch quite a few fish using cyanide. Things to look for are vivid coloration as well as very red gills. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, just be careful. It's a damn shame you're not on this side of the pond, my guy in Manado only net collects. He get all of the Jawfish indigenous to the Indo area.

I will have to Pre Order this fish so not sure how that would work, waiting on the supplier to get in touch to see whether he can get these, at what price and in what condition. Also what my options are if i receive a specimen in poor health

Currently thinking about rehoming the Clownfish in favour of another Wrasse

3-4 Wrasse and a Tailspot sounds nice

• Like 2