Coral Vue Hydros

What tank is this

Juice780

Imo... if the seller doesn't know if it's a 25, 40, or 50 gallon... there's something up. 

Really need to know what tank that is to chime in on if it's a good deal or not.

• Like 1

He gave me some really odd dimensions that doesn’t line up with anything innovative marine sells. I’ll ask to measure again. This is the light that comes with it. Looks like it is new in box. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydra-twentysix-hd-black-aqua-illumination.html?sku=209602&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwb3rBRDrARIsALR3Xebsw5c_4UN7iIabTfprfukt2HV7OT7W9q8RsSoG6F--v1OWoiuLVNkaAoz0EALw_wcB

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Juice780 said:

He gave me some really odd dimensions that doesn’t line up with anything innovative marine sells. I’ll ask to measure again. This is the light that comes with it. Looks like it is new in box. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydra-twentysix-hd-black-aqua-illumination.html?sku=209602&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwb3rBRDrARIsALR3Xebsw5c_4UN7iIabTfprfukt2HV7OT7W9q8RsSoG6F--v1OWoiuLVNkaAoz0EALw_wcB

Maybe they don't know how to measure. Lol.

• Haha 1

I’m pretty sure it’s the 50 because I think he said it was 30” wide. I was wanting to start a 25  and didn’t really want to do a 50 but if I can get it cheaper I might go ahead and get it. Will that single light be good enough if it is the 50?

3 minutes ago, Juice780 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s the 50 because I think he said it was 30” wide. I was wanting to start a 25  and didn’t really want to do a 50 but if I can get it cheaper I might go ahead and get it. Will that single light be good enough if it is the 50?

That does sound like the 50

fed661cf5072ad7b354306cf4171912b.thumb.jpg.ad28720255e5920636cc3dfd40fa1ab7.jpg

I really didn’t want to go that big but if everything checks out I may buy it. This will be my first saltwater tank. What would be the main differences on running the 25 vs 50?

Just now, Juice780 said:

I really didn’t want to go that big but if everything checks out I may buy it. This will be my first saltwater tank. What would be the main differences on running the 25 vs 50?

Bigger tank, more water, higher power bills.

But more space for fish and corals, "easier" to manage parameters 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Juice780 said:

I started out with a 55g yrs ago.

Then I started 4 yrs ago with a 15g, I wanted to stay small. I added a 10g within 5 months.

This led to a pico jar, then a 5.5g.

Then upgraded the 15g to 25lagoon.

Shut down 5.5g.

Now upgraded 10g to 20g.

I went small to cut costs- wasn't much difference from the 55g.

Work level wasn't much difference either.

Started out with 15g, now I have 47g worth in tanks.

The bonus to 50g, you are starting out mid size, gives you more options with fish, more room for corals, less issues with stability, possibly less chances of having multiple tanks 😊

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Juice780 said:

I say get what you want. that said the 50 is a nice size tank and still small for a SW IMHO. you will have tons more fish options in the 50 over the 25 as well as gear. trust us they fill up fast. then you start to think hmmm maybe another tank. or man I wish I would have went bigger.

when i 1st started out years ago I bought a 90 off ebay with in 6 months added a 125 then 6 months after i got a 240 because I could and waned one big tank.

go check it out  see if you like it. I hear Im makes great tanks I almost got the 25 myself then went with a red sea 750XXL ..haha 

dont be afraid to think about it after. 

before you go see take a trip to a LFS or 3 and see some tanks to get an idea of what you like. 

AI makes great lights too. what other gear does it come with? 

why dont you want the rock?  you can always cure it.   

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Juice780 said:

Check it over thoroughly for potential leaks, scratches, chips, etc. I personally like to buy tanks up and running because then I know they can hold water. 

Not much difference, just potentially larger water changes, more salt, more water, etc. You generally need more expensive lights, wavemaker... etc. Cost to set up and maintain is generally higher. Also a greater benefit from having your own RODI machine as hauling water for a larger tank becomes a chore. 

• Like 1

image.png.a135c0c470bab68333a48f6fc434a0cc.png

In my estimation, that bin (from the craigslist ad) is 24" wide (as near as I can tell I have one just like it and measured) and so is the tank.

My vote is that it's the IM Lagoon 25 (or whatever the smaller one is really called).

I'd also say that rock in the bin above is definitely better than dead rock...no reason to avoid it that I can see.  

But find out how long it's been stagnant...it may require a short curing and cycling time. (And obviously get some circulation on it ASAP.)

If it's been a long time in that bin, then it might be a little closer to dead....but that looks like coraline algae in the photo, so it might not be bad at all.  Find out!  🙂 

On 9/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, Juice780 said:

You don't have to stock the 50 with any more rock or livestock than you would a 25.  So cost on those can be the same.

In fact, if you do it that way, with all that "extra’" space your corals and especially your fish will love you.

The 25 has (23*15.87*11.8)/231 = 18.6 gallons of living space over a footprint of about 30 square feet.

The 50 has (29.14*18.75*16.14)/231 = 38.2 gallons of living space over a footprint of about 61 square feet.

The 50 has 205% of the 25's volume and 203% of the 25's footprint.....any way you slice it that's over twice the amount of swimming space, which pretty much translates to fish that are twice as happy and possibly twice as healthy.  🙂 It's also worth pointing out that it's also over twice the amount of coral growing space.

You will be best-off with a pair of pumps, whether your tank is 24" wide or 30" wide....the same pumps (eg Tunze 6045's or 6040's) could be used in both tanks.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:38 AM, Juice780 said:

This is the light that comes with it. Looks like it is new in box.

I think lights would be where you might want to do something different....but that's more of a spread issue than a lack of power issue.  

For example two Prime HD's (or Kessil A160's, or even Current strips...) would be a preferable setup for the larger tank since the lightable space on both tanks is quite rectangular.  

With a two-light setup you'd be able to spread the two pucks out a little more and lower them a little closer to the tank to avoid lighting up your room (bad for your eyes and bad aesthetic) and the back chamber (bad for growing algae where it's HARD TO CLEAN) but still getting more light to the far ends of your tank.  

Wasting less light outside the tank also means you need less power overall to light your tank properly.

Depending on what, if any, change you make to lighting after you buy, I don't think the ongoing costs need to be significantly different for the 25 vs the 50.  

If you're on a 25-sized budget, that budget will be able to work on the 50.

• Like 1