Top Shelf Aquatics

White growth in the sump

ZR2

When cleaning my Fluval Evo, I noticed some white growths on the inside walls of the sump area? Anyone have an idea of that they are? I have left them for now because I do not know if they are good or bad. 

E68C53A8-4388-4C1B-B06F-EDE29AAB6884.jpeg

56 minutes ago, ZR2 said:

Should I leave the sponges? Anything I need to know about them? 

I don't remove them. They are filter feeders. I siphon detritus out of the back chambers ever 2 weeks, I leave the life in there though

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't remove them. They are filter feeders. I siphon detritus out of the back chambers ever 2 weeks, I leave the life in there though

Yeah I need to clean the sump, it’s not easy on the fluval evo because the sump area is small and not easy to clean. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, ZR2 said:

Yeah I need to clean the sump, it’s not easy on the fluval evo because the sump area is small and not easy to clean. 

The IM's aren't easy either. I have small hands and gave up manual cleaning.

I got a baby bottle brush to scrub down the walls if I need to and I just use my vacuum to suck up detritus.

It's never going to be spotless back there but getting out poop and food is always helpful

• Like 1