Pod Your Reef

Food grade thermistor?

patback

Anyone know where I would be able to find a food grade, sealed thermistor for an arduino project?

All the stainless probes I am finding dont seem to fit the bill.

What are you trying to do?? Just messing around??? I cant lie I had to google the thermistor lol, but I'm sure I could hook you up with some sort of rtd transmitter .... you know who might know something..  @kimberbee husband...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, patback said:

Anyone know where I would be able to find a food grade, sealed thermistor for an arduino project?

I asked the hubby... he knows what that is, but he doesn't work with anything food related so he doesn't have any ideas.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

What are you trying to do?? Just messing around??? I cant lie I had to google the thermistor lol, but I'm sure I could hook you up with some sort of rtd transmitter .... you know who might know something..  @kimberbee husband...

Basically I want to play around with the arduino and see if I can build my own reef controller.  Simple relay module will get input from the thermistor to kick it off if temps rise above 80.  Other main purpose will be another relay telling an ato to kick on and off.  

Other than that, I want to just slowly add features at my leisure.  It's for my wifes aio tank, so that is all it really needs to do at this time.  

I have a shit ton of 10kohm thermistors and other thermocouples but they arent waterproof and the stainless ones that are, I dont really trust them in a saltwater environment. I also dont believe the 10ks are useable at 5vdc. Could be wrong on that one. 

So I havent messed around with an arduino but I'm guessing its a a type of plc that uses latter logic??? What type of anolog signals does it accept? 0-5 vdc or 4-20ma???  I have tons of spare hockey puck style transmitters (very small like thw size of an oreo cookie) that you could hook up to a thermocouple. Guaranteed we could find a food safe thermocouple or make one. Shit it's just two wires soldered together... super cool project I would really enjoy following along if you post it in your journal!

45 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

So I havent messed around with an arduino but I'm guessing its a a type of plc that uses latter logic??? What type of anolog signals does it accept? 0-5 vdc or 4-20ma???  I have tons of spare hockey puck style transmitters (very small like thw size of an oreo cookie) that you could hook up to a thermocouple. Guaranteed we could find a food safe thermocouple or make one. Shit it's just two wires soldered together... super cool project I would really enjoy following along if you post it in your journal!

Basically in a nutshell.  They're mostly used for prototyping because just about anything you want to build, there is a module that you can plug straight into it and build off of it.  Most people would then buy the individual components and redo everything so that it's not so cumbersome. I'll most likely print out a 3d box for it and call it a day. 

Works on 0-5 vdc.  As long as I dont blow anything up immediately, I'll definitely post about it. (Once I learn how to actually code everything)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, patback said:

You know anyone with contacts in HVAC field?

Edit: Scrap that, 

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/103JG1JRA/615-1016-ND/1014544?cur=USD 

any use? Or Omega make these if I recall correctly

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

You know anyone with contacts in HVAC field?

Edit: Scrap that, 

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/103JG1JRA/615-1016-ND/1014544?cur=USD 

any use? Or Omega make these if I recall correctly

I am in hvac. Lol.

I'm weary on putting something in saltwater that isn't intended to be submerged however.  I dont want heavy metal issues down the road if it's not intended to actually be waterproof.  

• Like 2

Maybe not food grade but laboratory grade, https://m.littelfuse.com/products/temperature-sensors/thermistor-probes-and-assemblies/laboratory-grade-temperature-probes.aspx

I am using a rtd pt 100 sensor for controlling temperature in my Pico. It is enclosed in 316 ss, seems to be working fine, if you are using arduino you could use pid library, which is the control type, industrial controllers control process, 

25 minutes ago, patback said:

I am in hvac. Lol.

I'm weary on putting something in saltwater that isn't intended to be submerged however.  I dont want heavy metal issues down the road if it's not intended to actually be waterproof.  

Nick was gonna play around with an arduino for me too, but this is exactly why it didn't go anywhere. Also, neither one of us really wanted to look into it that deep... 

I hope you figure it out!!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Just use a Glass Test Tube, do a Continuous Nitrogen or CO2 Purge while sealing the Test Tube. with Aquarium Silicone. It will slightly slow the temperature response. I used this on lab walk-in boxes as the  formaldehyde was eating up the probes. Don’t even get me going on what else it was doing to the box. 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...