Poison Dart Frog

Humble 5 Gallon Pico Tank

Poison Dart Frog

Just thought I would show my Fluval 5.5 gallon setup. I am now on month 2 (around 5 weeks since setup). I have the Fluval Sea 20 watt LED light. I have been buying Pacific Ocean water from Petco and doing a 1 gallon water change each week. So far I just got a few frags from a friend's tank and I bought a GSP frag and a gorgonia. I have a yellow tail damsel and a fire shrimp and a few hermits and a snail. It is going good so far. This is my first saltwater tank in years. I've had a few over the years including when I was a kid and we thought undergravel filters and crushed coral substrates were the best method. Times have changed lol. Long term I want to add more easy corals. I know how addictive this hobby and similar ones are. I have so many other pets (chameleons, dart frogs, geckos etc) that it seems to be hard not to keep buying new setups. Hopefully I can control that urge this time. Thanks for reading. 

20190901_082108.jpg

• Like 7

debbeach13

Welcome to NR. Looks like a nice little set up. I bet your friend can answer a lot of your questions but if not a lot of members here are happy to help.

• Like 3

Poison Dart Frog

Thanks. Yeah, I've been lurking here for a while before making an account. I love the wealth of info here.

I think I'm going through the "ugly stage" for my aquarium, with quite a bit of algae growth. I am working on removing as much as possible each week when I do the water change. Also, changing one gallon seems to drain out about 1/3 of the water volume since I have quite a bit of rock and gravel. I get the impression that it takes several months for a tank to start looking really nice. Getting past the ugly stage and giving corals time to grow in and so on. 

• Like 6

billygoat

Cool little tank you've got here! I'll be following along. And welcome to N-R! 😊

• Like 2

Poison Dart Frog
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

Cool little tank you've got here! I'll be following along. And welcome to N-R! 😊

Thanks. I really like your macro algae tank.

billygoat
9 hours ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

Thanks. I really like your macro algae tank.

Thank you! Do you have any plans to add macros to your pico? There are some good, cheap choices that would look very nice in here. 😊

• Like 1

Poison Dart Frog

I would like to for sure. I love the look of the Dragons breath and others like that. 

• Like 2

Poison Dart Frog

I added a pom pom crab today. 

• Like 3

Poison Dart Frog

I upgraded the stock pump. The new one is 103 gph so a slight upgrade. I'm sure a small powerhead would be better but there is so little room for one. The pump was just $13.

20190904_131429.jpg

• Like 1

Wonderboy

Good luck controlling the urge :happy:  Looking good so far - loving the videography! 

• Like 1

Poison Dart Frog

My Pom Pom Crab is carrying an egg sac. I usually just see the crab shortly after the lights dim. Pretty interesting critter.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Poison Dart Frog

I figure it will be a few months before this tank grows in and matures enough to start looking good. I have added a couple more frags and my pom pom crab is still doing well. Still dealing with a lot of algae which I work on every Sunday when I do a water change. 

20190913_150848-01.jpeg

20190913_150318-01.jpeg

20190913_160001-01.jpeg

• Like 2

Poison Dart Frog

For filming it seems to work best with the lights dimmed by a lot and keeping the phone farther away. 

• Like 1

billygoat
2 hours ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

I figure it will be a few months before this tank grows in and matures enough to start looking good. I have added a couple more frags and my pom pom crab is still doing well. Still dealing with a lot of algae which I work on every Sunday when I do a water change. 

What kind of clean-up crew do you have going in here? A few hermit crabs would probably go to town on all that hair algae!

Tank looks great though. Very nice. 😁

• Like 2

Poison Dart Frog

Thanks a lot! I have 2 hermits and 1 snail. I think I may start turning my white light down to 50% or so during the peak hours. The little guys help with the algae but it just grows back so fast. The next thing I want to add is a frag of Dragon's breath macro algae. None of the fish stores near me have it so I will have to order it. 

• Like 1

kimdawg

You have a great start to your tank.  I love the pom pom crab.  I never see mine unless I take all of the rock out to clean the bottom of the tank.  The uglies will pass soon and then you can enjoy adding slowly to the corals.

• Like 2