Innovative Marine Aquariums

Humble 5 Gallon Pico Tank

Poison Dart Frog

1 hour ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

Thanks! I think it's been going a bit over a month. I cycled it with biospira and added a fish right away. It's going through a diatom stage but I think it's ok for soft corals right now. The nephthea tree coral is starting to look happier after 24 hours. 

20200902_143349.jpg

I love that clownfish! It's almost naked, but not quite. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Poison Dart Frog

I added some red macroalgae (in my head I pronounce it with a hard g like British people do lol) a while back and it has almost doubled in size in a short time. This is the first time I've had success with macros.

20201004_172811.jpg

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

I added some red macroalgae (in my head I pronounce it with a hard g like British people do lol) a while back and it has almost doubled in size in a short time. This is the first time I've had success with macros.

20201004_172811.jpg

The red macro (I think it might be Gracilaria hayi?) looks great right there in the middle. I'm definitely a fan of this tank!

• Like 1

Yeah, looks like flame algae. That stuff can grow pretty fast when it gets going. I suggest separating off a small portion and setting that aside, it sometimes dies back in cycles and is good to have multiple pieces of in case one piece dies back. 

• Like 1
Poison Dart Frog
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

The red macro (I think it might be Gracilaria hayi?) looks great right there in the middle. I'm definitely a fan of this tank!

Yeah, I believe that's what it is. It is definitely more forgiving than other macros. I'd like to try one of the calcium based macros like the "mermaid's fan" but I know those are more difficult.

58 minutes ago, Tired said:

Yeah, looks like flame algae. That stuff can grow pretty fast when it gets going. I suggest separating off a small portion and setting that aside, it sometimes dies back in cycles and is good to have multiple pieces of in case one piece dies back. 

I have a couple clumps in my 20 gallon tank but I think the higher nutrients in the pico tank are helping it thrive. I've kind of settled on a small water change every 3 weeks in this tank which the livestock seems to appreciate. Even at the 3 week mark nitrates are still a bit below 20 which I think is fine.

• Like 2
Poison Dart Frog

I got some gorgonian food called Nutrigorg. They look puffed up after feeding. It also seems happiest in the low flow corner of the tank. The other critters are doing okay too. Also, I have this brown favia that I moved from the 20. It was originally in my 5 gallon then it sat on the sandbed in the 20. I've had it for about a year and it used to have more blue color. I'm hoping that comes back in this tank. It still slimes up when you remove it from the water so I guess it's still alive. 

20201007_233739.jpg

20201007_233752.jpg

20201007_233809.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Poison Dart Frog

Here is the favia just after spot feeding it reef roids. As you can see compared to the previous pic the texture on it smooths out and it gets slightly puffy so it does still respond to food. 

20201008_000215.jpg

• Like 1
Poison Dart Frog
4 hours ago, Tired said:

Definitely not a dead favia. A dead favia is just a hard white (or algae-covered) skeleton. 

That's what I figured. The fact that it has resisted algae growth was a good sign. Strangely it has not grown one tiny bit in the year I've had it. It's now under higher light so I'm hoping this will help it respond somewhat and maybe get its color back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Poison Dart Frog

The macroalgae just keeps growing in the fluval. I will have to cut it back some soon and place in another tank. I now do a water change every 3 weeks. The less frequent water changes seems to make the corals stay puffier. 

20201029_152605.jpg

• Like 2

Soft corals love nutrients. It's no surprise they like less frequent changes, that amount of coral mass probably sucks up the available nutrients pretty fast.

• Like 2

From what I've read, the pom poms are fairly hardy as long as water conditions are decent. He's such a cool little guy! I plan to get one at some point, if I can find one with the poms still on. Last I checked, my LFS only had one that had lost the poms somewhere in transit. I left that one at the store in hopes it can steal a pom from another crab at some point and regrow it into two. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Poison Dart Frog

I gave away a big clump of the red macro algae. It grows very fast and I have it in 3 of my tanks. I moved this purple cup coral from the 20 gallon into the fluval also. 

20201202_152957.jpg

• Like 3